Sync Issue

Hello,

I was wondering if someone would be able to help me out?  As of the 23rd of November, my laptop died, which is the device I was doing most of my note taking.

I have since switched over to my iPad, but when I look at the notes that are available, I see notes only up until the 4th of November.

As far as I know, everything was syncing on my laptop. Do you know how I can retrieve the notes from November?

Thanks,

DM

• Level 5

Take a look at the situation on the web client. It allows a direct view of the data stored on the EN server.

If the notes are there, we need to find away to get them to the iPad. If they are not, they are only in a local copy on that laptop. Then the issue would be how to get them from there to the EN server first, which would probably mean to revive the laptop somehow.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Take a look at the situation on the web client. It allows a direct view of the data stored on the EN server.

If the notes are there, we need to find away to get them to the iPad. If they are not, they are only in a local copy on that laptop. Then the issue would be how to get them from there to the EN server first, which would probably mean to revive the laptop somehow.

Thank you for the response. When I log into the web client, it shows the notes from Nov 4th.

I have access to a recent backup of my files that I can check. I also have a SATA to USB adapter that I can use to access the files on the hard drive.

Do you the default path where the local copy of the notes is located? Thanks again!

1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

Which client did you use for EN ?

Version 10, or legacy ? The laptop is Windows ? The path is different, as is the data structure.

Furthermore for a recovery you need a working computer with the same OS and the same EN client installed.

The laptop was Windows 10. I can’t recall which version it was. I started using EN mid 2020 and I can’t confirm if it was upgraded.

Is it possible to take the local copy and restore/upload in the web client? Thanks!

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

For me it is for legacy

c:\users\myuser\Evernote

And for v10

c:\users\myuser\Appdata\Roaming\Evernote

Maybe I have modified the legacy User a while ago, it is an old and only scarcely used installation.

Is it an .exb file? I found a 1.25GB .exb file in the C:\users\muser\evernote path, but it’s dated 9/24/21. Worth a try.

• Level 5

@gazumped Maybe somebody with Windows legacy could drop into this thread now. It is midnight over here, and I go on travel early tomorrow. My old PC with legacy installed will stay at home, so even when I may have internet, I have no reference.

Not much support beyond this point, I‘m afraid.

For what it's worth, I had syncing problems too.

I think I solved this by not using my username anymore but use my emailadress to log in.

History:

I had installend Evernote on multiple PC's, my iPad and iPhone.

On my PC's I installed the new version 10 and, because of slow performance of version 10, also side-by-side the legacy edition.

I found out on the same PC the version 10 and legacy did not sync. Even worse, there appeared a few hundred notes in my inbox on my PC's which I had moved earlier.

In the end I removed version 10 because of the sync problem, this did not resolve the sync problem between my PC and the web-version of Evernote.

I then decided to disconnect (log out) all my PC's, iPhone, web and log back in with my email-adress and not use my username, this solved the sync problem !!!!

I used on some of the PC's my emailadress and on some my username, I did not think this could be a problem but maybe it is.

Just to be sure I removed Evernote from my iPad and iPhone and reinstalled Evernote again.

While syncing I saw my inbox being cleaned from 493 notes back to the 2 there ought to be.

Hope this is of use for some of you.

Greetings Eric

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Sorry - late to the party,  and I missed my cue earlier...  If you find an EXB file on your laptop hard drive,  that's Evernote's database in the legacy version,  but it's not restorable onto the web version.  You'd need to download and install Evernote Legacy onto a new computer,  then find the Databases folder and your new 'empty' EXB file and replace it with the old one.  That would jumpstart your 'new' account with copies of all the old notes.  

However.  Any notes that were altered, deleted or corrupted after the EXB file was last synced will then be changed when the account next syncs - so keep an original copy of your old EXB file somewhere,  because there is more you can do with it to recover old notes if necessary. 

Again with a new Legacy install you could import notes from the EXB file rather than try to use them as new.  The notes will all go into a single new notebook,  but at least you can search that and get content back.

And - before you go down this route as all,  just give your iPhone an hour or two to catch up.  I've been noticing that on my Legacy account,  when I use Evernote a device that hasn't been synced in a while,  I'll be missing the latest notes for a while - 10-30 minutes - before the newish notes from the last few days start to pop up.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 11/25/2021 at 3:08 PM, DM_21 said:

I have since switched over to my iPad, but when I look at the notes that are available, I see notes only up until the 4th of November.  ...   When I log into the web client, it shows the notes from Nov 4th.

Make sure you're using the same account id/password

• Like 1