copy selection

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

When using Web Clipper, I get the option to copy an entire article or just a link, or else a screenshot. I want to copy just a selection of text without copying it to the clipboard, then opening Evernote, creating a new note, and pasting it. I'm sure this used to be possible

• Level 5

No, I don’t think so. Whenever you select something and copy it, it goes to the clipboard. Even when you copy and paste inside of a single document in a single app, it goes to the clipboard.

The Web Clipper does not need the clipboard by using the EN API. So if you want to avoid the clipboard, use the web clipper to create a note in EN with the complete content. Then delete the text you don’t want in the EN note. Don’t copy or cut, because this again will move the selected text to the clipboard.

• Level 5

No, using one of the first 3 options: the article, the simplified or the full page.

The web clip then needs to be simplified in EN (click on it, click on the magic wand that appears right above) to make it editable.

Screenshot will produce a picture of what you see on the screen - this can’t be edited.

What I currently do is to choose screenshot, then go into it in Evernote, select the text, paste it outside the graphic, then delete the graphic. Don't you think it should be possible to just select the text, and for that to go into a new note? Am I weird?

• Level 5

No, I don’t think so.

Every modern computer has the clipboard to do exactly this. There is no need for ANY app to try to duplicate 1:1 a function build into the operating system.

Beside this it would create security issues, because (at least on the Mac) any app accessing another app needs a permission.

No, that doesn't make sense. Web Clipper can copy a whole page, or a URL, or a screenshot into a separate program, why not just some text?.

Of course what I am doing works. I could also copy the text, then launch Evernote, then create a new note, then paste in the text.

My point is that I should be able to select some text just as easily as selecting a whole page, which I will then have to hunt through later to find the text I want. It's basic HIG.

• Level 5

It’s basic, and it was solved with the first Macintosh computers visual interface many years ago: Select any object, copy, go to destination, paste. Done. Microsoft did the same, a little later with Windows 3.11. This is only counting commercially successful systems.

If you want more comfort, like clipping several snippets first, then paste them elsewhere, get a clipboard manager.

Anyhow, you can always send EN your idea by feedback.

16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It’s basic, and it was solved with the first Macintosh computers visual interface many years ago: Select any object, copy, go to destination, paste. Done. Microsoft did the same, a little later with Windows 3.11. This is only counting commercially successful systems.

If you want more comfort, like clipping several snippets first, then paste them elsewhere, get a clipboard manager.

Anyhow, you can always send EN your idea by feedback.

Xerox Park was doing this in the early 70s on a visual interface, and text interfaces had already had it for a decade.