Problem with exporting the note as PDF

Hello,

I was using Evernote and the PDF export option without problem, but there seems to be a bug with the feature now. I wonder if it's due to the recent update...?

When I choose "Export as PDF", the programme gets stuck at "Generating PDF" step, and after that, nothing happens and I just have to cancel it. (see the attachment)

I found a second way to save the note as PDF file on Evernote Web > Print > Save as PDF, but I would love to continue using the desktop application as smoothly as before.

Has anyone else had the same issue recently?

2021-11-19 (1).png

Yes. After the last update I haven't been able to use my web clipper for any PDF's. I keep getting an error message and there's nothing in the forum that addresses this issue.  I don't even see the option to print to Evernote anymore either. It seems to be a problem for anyone using the free version as far as I can tell and there's no way of getting help from Evernote either as a free user. 

They've really gone down hill as far as I'm concerned-unless you pay. I used to love Evernote but now it may be time to switch.

Screen Shot 2021-11-20 at 6.39.19 AM.png

• Level 5

Anything special in that note ? Attachments that may not work in a pdf ?

This "locked in creation" usually happens in pdf creation when there is a content that the program does not know to handle - like an audio file or a video. Robust creation apps simply jump the problematic content - but some tend to stall.

If would probably help EN to sort this out if you could issue a support ticket, with a link to the note (if possible) and the activity log.

On 11/21/2021 at 11:57 PM, PinkElephant said:

Anything special in that note ? Attachments that may not work in a pdf ?

This "locked in creation" usually happens in pdf creation when there is a content that the program does not know to handle - like an audio file or a video. Robust creation apps simply jump the problematic content - but some tend to stall.

If would probably help EN to sort this out if you could issue a support ticket, with a link to the note (if possible) and the activity log.

Hi PinkElephant,

Nothing out of ordinary than my previous notes. At most I put a chart or something, but I have done it before and could extract the note as PDF without any issues.

I am going to create a simple note with no templates, only plain text and see how it reacts.

I don't know if I can contact the customer support directly and issue a support ticket, though...? It keeps throwing me back to Community Help (which is an awesome place to ask for help, no complaints about that, but I'd appreciate to get hold of customer service for more technical details like this)

On 11/24/2021 at 8:20 PM, Velox said:

I have the same problem as LilyV even with only a simple text note (App Ver 10.25.6).

Workaround: Printing with Printer "Microsoft Print to PDF" does work.

Exactly, Velox. That was the only way I could download the note as PDF; but I just wish this feature worked as smoothly as before. I have also used "Share" feature and can copy the shareable link with the students to avoid downloading anything at all.

I have just come across this (check the attached image) while browsing EN's website to find a way to contact the customer support:

It seems that they removed the PDF extraction feature from free and personal plans. It worked two weeks ago until the upgrade, so I assumed they have modified the features of each plan at the same time. How unfortunate!

2021-11-30 (2).png

2 hours ago, JorgeZajgla said:

As I understand, it is only the Export complete notebooks as PDF files, not the Export note to PDF file ability. I have already contacted support for this and I am waiting for a response

22 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

No, the export of a single note to pdf is no problem (at least with a Personal account). Export of a notebook is restricted to Professional and Teams subscribers.

Thank you so much for clarifying that! I'm still happy with one, simple feature and looking forward to using it again without problems.

No, unfortunately, the "Print note" function does not work in my case. Support has just answered: It is a bug that they already know and they are working on it, but they do not have a timeline for it. They suggest using the Evernote legacy app if you need to export notes.

• Level 5

As I wrote „on a Mac“.

If on Windows, you can use the same trick, but it is not part of the OS. You need to install a PDF app that installs itself as a „printer“ in the print menu. You can then select it from the list of printers, and „print“ the note into a pdf file.

Because it uses a different way to „print“, it does not suffer from the bugs of the integrated solution.

• Level 5

Still on BigSur, waiting for the .1 release before thinking about upgrading.

But I don’t think the print dialogue has changed, so the pdf button with the save as pdf option is most likely still available.

When I start my Mac the next time and remember it, I will post a screenshot.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem.  But did use the solution Velox submitted, "Workaround: Printing with Printer "Microsoft Print to PDF" does work. "  It works for me, thanks Velox.  I am hoping that it is just a bug.  I have a Personal Edition so I do pay to use Evernote.  But with software like Evernote, that is continually trying to tweak the user levels and payments to generate more revenue, there is always the suspicion that they are going to eliminate features for the lowest user levels, to try and lure you to up to a more expensive user level.

• Like 1