Drag & Drop files out of EN

I'm still having issues with copying/dragging file attachments out of EN. The release note for a recent update stated this had been resolved.

a. If I drag a jpg file from EN to MS Word (2016) it leaves a blank square where the file should be. 

b. If I <ctrl c> in EN then <ctrl v> in word same situation

c. If I <mouse right click> and <copy> in EN then <mouse right click> and <paste> in word it appears to work ok.

d. In other windows programmes, I can't Copy out of EN at all.

As a work-around, I am still using legacy EN. I was led to believe this had been fixed in a recent update. Has this issue been resolved?????

• Evernote Expert

My experience is that drag and drop doesn't work - at least not consistently. I can though, like you, right click, copy and paste into Word. 

To be honest, this is not a significant requirement for my use. I more typically drag into Evernote than the other way around. About the only file types that I do occasionally use from inside Evewrnote are images. I note, like you, that whilst I can copy and paste to Word, I cannot do the same into Photoshop. For that I have always used the Right click, Open approach which opens the image in Photoshop. So that still works for me as I've always worked. I can also double click the image and it opens in Photoshop as well.

So I concur that drag and drop isn't functional in the current Windows version of Evernote 10.25 and copy and paste only with MS 365 applications. More work to be done here methinks...

I use EN for family history research where I clip information into EN from the web, using EN's magnificent web clipper of course, as well as dragging and dropping files. I then analyse and evaluate the information before copying it into my family history programme. The information can be jpg, pdf files or text from the note. At present, the only way I can transfer information to my family history programme is to use the legacy version of EN for this transfer process.

I certainly hope EN resolve this issue as soon as possible. The rest of the new version seems to work reasonably, with a swag of new features to boot.

• Level 5

@MalcolmK … and make sure you run the latest version of EN - current is 10.25.

If you have it, and it still does not work with most programs, make a full uninstall (PC: Revo Uninstaller), restart the PC and download a fresh copy from the EN website.

Because this is really solved - if it does not work for you, you have an individual problem.

Last option is support.

Looks like a support call is needed.

I uninstalled with revo, then re-installed after restart and I still have the same issue. I have the same issue on my desktop, laptop & windows tablet. I did the same process on all 3 - to be sure; to be sure; to be sure; and issue remains.

2 hours ago, MalcolmK said:

Looks like a support call is needed.

I uninstalled with revo, then re-installed after restart and I still have the same issue. I have the same issue on my desktop, laptop & windows tablet. I did the same process on all 3 - to be sure; to be sure; to be sure; and issue remains.

I can confirm that EN v10.25.6-win  D&D doesn't work from EN to another app. I tested it against LibreOffice and GMail.  Copy-Paste does work...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If does work on the Mac - tested with EN Mac 10.25 and LibreOffice 7.1.7.2, the current stable build. What is funny: It does not work from Libre Office to any other app - clicking on a (say) picture allows to move it around inside of the LibreOffice document, but no d&d outside of it.

d&d from EN works with other apps as well, like the Apple apps and for example GoodNotes 5 or PDF Expert.

However, no luck on Windows as well - although I have not much to play with, it is a VM with nearly no software installed. I think who has more Windows applications and exposure should contact support.

• Level 5

Then I think support should look into it.

Since my Windows installation is pretty reduced (I only run a few programs in a virtual machine on my Mac, not the best testing ground) somebody who runs a full Windows setup should create the ticket & activity log.

10 minutes ago, BeEfficient said:

latest windows 10 version on lenovo x1 carbon + latest EN 10 version - D&D definitely does not work.

The only exception where d&d does work is  to windows explorer or desktop. From there you can drag further to your app (possible work around for some workflows)

• Level 5

If it only works through the desktop, we are practically back to square 1 regarding D&D. This worked since the release of v10.

The background probably is that v10 embeds content like pictures,photos or similar into containers. When you D&D, the container is moved to the target app, but it does not understand it has to unlock the container and extract the content. It extracts the container instead, which is nothing or a few characters of text.

The desktop knows how to handle the containers, it opens them and extracts the content. The next D&D then moves this content (without the container) to the destination.

On Mac D&D works directly between apps. Somebody affected on Windows should IMHO create a ticket and report back here on the outcome. I can't since my Windows is first inside of a virtual machine (not the typical environment), and second I only run very little software there, and none of the "usual suspects" like MS Office or Outlook. My activity logs would not be of any help, I think.

29 minutes ago, MalcolmK said:

I've also raised a ticket. From the questions asked in response, EN appear to be surprised and unaware of the issue! 

Then should I be surprised that their SQA wasn't even aware of it? 🙄

• 10 months later...

Has this been fixed in any way or manner? It's really annoying having to first drag to the desktop.

If I drag a jpeg directly from Evernote to another app, I either get the forbidden cursor, or in Word and Outlook, I get a small square instead of the image I dragged and dropped.

I'm on Windows 10 (10.0.19044 build 19044) using MS Office 2019 Version 2208 and Evernote Desktop version 10.45.18-win-ddl-public (3683)