Open Tasks in New Window

jvbrummett

Idea

While I'm LOVING the new Tasks feature, it's hard not being able to see my tasks at all times.  Before Evernote had Tasks I would use another app, keep it open and visible at all times, and copy Evernote content into it.  I'm constantly switching around notes in Evernote, and often pop out individual Notes that I'm working on.  I'd like to be able to pop out Tasks in a new window so that I can always see what's on my to-do list.

BTW - In the interim I'm taking a screenshot of my Tasks list, printing it, and keeping it on my desk.  Ugh.

• Like 6

30 replies to this idea

I agree whole heartedly. I like the idea on printing the task list - clumsy but it works.  But  having a dynamic window like opening a note in a window would be perfect.

How about it devs?

• Like 3

+1 this idea.  I just moved to Evernote Tasks (I've used Evernote notes for years) and love the task -> note integration, but not having a separate task window that I can position on my desk is a big draw back.  Please add this feature.

• Like 3

The lack of this feature even after several months of discussion was the primary reason I cancelled my Evernote account today. It's a miss, IMO, to not add the same functionality to Tasks that are available with Notes. To suggest that we open the individual notes containing said tasks is not a realistic expectation on the user. I like that all Tasks are aggregate in Evernote, but they are hidden under a tab that I constantly have to click into to view. I need the ability to open that Task list in a new window so it can be a constant rundown of my todos. It's not encouraging as a user to see that this feature was "on our radar" back in October of 2021 and we're halfway through May of 2022 and still have no function. Tech needs to remain agile and quick to respond to UX needs, especially with the ask is valid and supported by multiple users.

• Like 2

I HATE the fact we just get this narrow little task window that pops out when clicking on Tasks from the menu - the text wrapping means it takes up way more height than necessary. Why not have a window that takes up the entire screen width?

• Like 4

Also 100% agree! The tasks home screen widget is pretty underpowered as well. Since tasks are part of the "new" Evernote; we can at least hope they've got something better lined up and this is just a proof of concept.

Is there a way to have tasks in its own window, sort of like a note can be individually popped out?  I'd like to have an active list of tasks constantly open so I can view/add/remove.

I'm using the MacOS client.

Love the task integration into notes - have dropped my tasks app.  But the big thing missing from the desktop version is the ability to tear the tasks list off and place it on my desktop as a separate window.  In the current version, I can either have my tasks up or my notes list, but not both - pretty suboptimal for the way I'd like to work.

Please push this to the top of the dev list, thanks!!

• Like 2

How would you all feel about the Tasks View behaving the same way the note list behaves today? Meaning: it stays open next to the note you are viewing and you can resize it accordingly. As opposed to closing as soon as you click outside it the way it works right now.

That would take considerably less time to implement.

• Like 1

Hi, that would be an improvement!

However, my main need is to be able to copy all or a filtered selection of tasks to the clipboard and be able to insert them into another note, the same way I currently can do with text. Would that be possible?

• Like 1

Yes this please.  

I'd also like to be able to manage my tasks in a grid view.  So, update due dates, prioritize, etc.  I rarely have fewer than 50 tasks and I need to review and reprioritize several times a week.  I can't see all of them in the gadget view and managing them via the left bar is really time consuming.

A few years ago, I had an excel spreadsheet that I would use to manage my tasks.  I would prioritize them high, medium, low, set follow-up dates, set due dates, then sort them by follow-up date and priority.  I was able to always keep an eye on high priority tasks and still didn't lose track of the lower priority tasks by keeping up with the follow-up dates.  

I would adore something like this in Evernote!!

• Like 1

Did this feature ever get created? I'd really like to be able to open my Tasks in a new window or in a sidebar separate from the notes view in the MacOS desktop app. I cannot keep the Tasks open while also navigating to other notebooks and taking notes. I'd like to have the Tasks docked on my desktop and visible to me all day. I love how Tasks consolidate all of my tasks across all my notebooks, but it's hidden unless I consciously decide to click on it to open it.

BendingSpoons. Can you give us an update on the development of this feature? Tasks is not nearly as useful without being able to open them in a separate window.

• Evernote Expert

Not at the present time. It is a feature that has been requested, especially for mobile devices. The best you could do would be to place a shortcut to your tasks note(s) on your desktop.

• Level 5

On the Mac client there should be a tab "Tasks" in the left side panel, right between the Notes and the Notebooks tab.

It shows all tasks, has filter and sorting options. The downside: It can't be clipped away as a window, and will fold back when another view is selected. But it is readily available, always.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

It does not work for you, did not meet your expectations, whatever.

Then you take the right decision and leave to another app that matches your use cases better. Why should you starve here while better pasture is around the next corner ? Nobody is asking for this, except maybe yourself.

The expectation an app with 200 Million users (that is AFAIK the last communicated figure) will within short notice react to „valid“ requests posted by „multiple“ users (about 10 in this thread) is quite obviously nonsensical. There are many „valid“ ideas that will never make it to the app, and more than 2 users is already a „multiplicity“ - but falls far off a noticeable segment of all users.

Apps of this size in general you need to take as they are, and adapt them to your use cases, or leave.

• Like 1
On 11/11/2022 at 12:56 PM, tylerlchase said:

Is this still on the radar? It's been a year since you posted this reply and I've not seen any movement on it.

It's definitely still on MY radar as I wish I had this on a daily basis.  As far as from Evernote... no apparent movement.

• Like 1

+1 Having the hability to move the tasks console to an independent window and have it always available with all features would be really helpful and I'm sure customers in general will appreciate it quite a bit regardless of whether or not many people have requested it here. For now, I suggest people here looking for a separate application, but I also suggest and push Evernote to add a simple feature that will surely attract new customers to the platform. There is great value in being able to keep everything centralized and well articulated instead of having to work with multiple tools.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Jack Lynch said:

How would you all feel about the Tasks View behaving the same way the note list behaves today? Meaning: it stays open next to the note you are viewing and you can resize it accordingly. As opposed to closing as soon as you click outside it the way it works right now.

That would take considerably less time to implement.

Hey, I'll take it!  As commented already, that would be an improvement.

Ideally it would be great if the Tasks "..." menu included an "Open in new window" option like we have with individual notes.  Surprised that's not an easier solution.

17 hours ago, socks said:

Did this feature ever get created? I'd really like to be able to open my Tasks in a new window or in a sidebar separate from the notes view in the MacOS desktop app. I cannot keep the Tasks open while also navigating to other notebooks and taking notes. I'd like to have the Tasks docked on my desktop and visible to me all day. I love how Tasks consolidate all of my tasks across all my notebooks, but it's hidden unless I consciously decide to click on it to open it.

The nearest you can do at the moment is to have EN web open at the same time. Peel off the tab and shrink it horizontally so it just shows the tasks (and the collapsed side bar)

image.thumb.png.43ee05c1eca6982fdd9db708ddd55ac5.png