Lack of Apple Watch support driving me to alternative products

hanklem

Idea

Super long time Evernote user, like since early/mid 2000s?

Just want you to know that your lack of support for Apple Watch is causing me to discover the surprising ease-of-use, "available everywhere" (without needing the bulky phone) and fluid text-to-speech virtues of Google Keep.

Like, this morning, if I want to take a list with me on my watch when I go to exercise, I have to cut and paste that list from Evernote into Google Keep.  And then if I make changes to it while exercising, I will need to manually transfer those changes back into Evernote.

Would be a lot easier for me to just have that note reside natively in Google Keep, which I am considering doing (ie: stop using Evernote).

Just thought your product managers would want to know this.

Hope you rectify this soon.
  • Like 3

13 replies to this idea

Yes I agree completely it’s only 5% of what Evernote does, my beef was just they took it away no real explanation. It was useful for shopping lists I’ve typed them out on EN at home, and then have them in the shop it was so useful in that scenario to be honest that and also a couple of things for work, I used to have it on during the day when I was in a meeting for a crucial piece of information that I pre-typed in EN  just so I wouldn’t forget to accurately announce say it a date for example.

Bear however can do this and to be honest EN was flaky at best on the Apple Watch where is Bear isn’t. I’ll probably carry on using En fir all my notes and prep I do but I’ll go over to being a free user, I’ve paid so much money over the years now I think back I’ve been paid user  pretty much since 2012 ! I think the app is great my shoe is that they just seem to be totally treating the users as if they don’t matter i’ve seen a number of posts from users who are just so I’m happy that they’re not being listened to.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

It was dropped the moment v10 iOS was released.

Up to now EN has focussed on releasing and developing one unified mobile client. All special options were skipped: Apple Watch, Samsung Note phones (with pen), iPadOS (no multitasking), etc. 

If they will start to add supporting such devices in the future, nobody outside of EN knows.

On 1/11/2022 at 10:53 AM, JDR99 said:

why has Apple Watch support been withdrawn?

I am guessing that as EN made the transition to v10 AW support was dropped for overall lack of use. Just assuming that they used some metrics to determine how many folks were using the AW app and how often - using those metrics to put their people where more folks used parts of the app.

• Level 5

If they dropped only that little app, you might be right. 

But they do not support any special features of devices, no matter what. Example: A desktop is a computer without touch control or a pencil ! Right ? No, this is obvious BS, watching at Surface and other notebooks that do support it. But EN does not support pencil on the desktop platform.

My solution: Since the EN Watch app was good for not much more than quickly grab a note (mainly by speech), I use the app JustPressRecord for the same purpose. The recordings will be transcoded into text on the iPhone or Mac, and can be shared to EN to create a new note.

I think it mad to drop Apple Watch app Ive mailed support a year ago and they said it’s coming soon ! Anyone got any suggestions of an app where you can put notes on the phone and see them on the watch I’ve tried one note it’s not brilliant

Bear does the job brilliantly! Thank you so much for this. It’s also very easy to import notes into it from Evernote.

generally I have to say I don’t like the way Evernote is going I’ve been doing research and found out that dropbox which I pay quite a lot for each year because I use it for my business has a Notes facility called paper. You’ve probably heard of it it’s synchronises absolutely everywhere is secure and has an interface that allows you to do to do lists, and calendar entries very similar to Evernote. So in 10 months when my Evernote subscription runs out I probably won’t be renewing it and in the meantime I’m slowly going to move my notes over I think so as of the end of my subscription I’ll probably just be a free Evernote user for some of my  legacy notes that I probably don’t need too much ! 
it’s sad that Evernote doesn’t seem to be listening to its users so slowly I think eventually they’re going to start leaving like me and draining away and sadly I suspect that could be the end of Evernote which is a shame because it was a brilliant app

Actually @simonw I returned to EN because I can not find anything that has a better search facility within PDFs and even Photos. For quick notes I may reference for a few months I use Bear - you can send to EN as a pdf and it is searchable. There is also another odd reason I stayed with EN. I travel all over world as part of my job. Some places/airports/ships/network "Apple" based app such as Notes or Bear seem to either struggle occasionally to synch or simple never do missing notes. EN seems to synch everywhere. So like many I us it as my own personal library /wiki. Better the devil you know I guess. I am still very disturbed by the utter contempt they have shown to long terms customers but until an equally powerful alternative arrives and GAINS some longevity I will stay.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

No …

To be honest, the old Watch app was not THAT big deal anyhow.

You could mainly use it to quickly grab a note, either as audio or dictation. You could use the scratchpad, but you don’t want to enter a note by it !

To this end I use JustPressRecord, on Watch, iOS and Mac. An additional benefit: When I recorded Audio, I can later have a transcription and send the text into EN.

If the watch app is the most important part of EN for you, you are probably only using 5% of what it can potentially do.

• Like 1