I am using Evernote Window PC version. I checked that Evernote's Appdata accounts for 100GB of my PC-embedded hard drives.

I am using Evernote Window PC version. I checked that Evernote's Appdata accounts for 100GB of my PC-embedded hard drives.

I'd like to change the location where Evernote's Appdata is stored to an external hard drive, what should I do?

• Level 5*

Hi.  How big is your database (i.e. how many notes)? - I'm up to 56,000 notes and my database is around 30GB so unless you're saving huge files,  that 100GB seems a little odd.  You might want to try a reinstall first* - uninstall the app and make sure the %AppData%\Evernote and %LocalAppData%\Programs\Evernote directories are gone after the process is complete.  Restart the device and reinstall from Evernote.com - but beware that if you do have a large database it may take some time to recreate the cache.

If a reinstall fails,  you might have to consider using the web version rather than trying to move the cache.  There are (so far) no options to move that storage elsewhere and Evernote has not historically played well with external storage.

You should definitely raise this with Support for their input too.  

*EDIT:  I missed an important step:  sign out of Evernote and power off your device,  then power back on a recheck the storage first!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The v10 client itself does not allow to change the database location.

You can rebuild it following the method posted above by @gazumped, or by this process:

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote

There is a method to use symbolic links to an external drive. You can find it by searching the forum. It was reported to work pretty well - but it is not officially supported by EN, so use it at your own peril.

• Like 1