BUG: First bullet point stripped out when note begins with a list

Zach127

Idea

I found a bug where the first bullet point of a list (either an ordered or unordered list) is stripped out after saving and returning to the note. By "stripped out," I mean that the text of the first bullet point still appears in the note, but the text is reformatted to be a paragraph, not a bulleted item. The issue only happens when the note starts out with a list. If there was anything else preceding the list, like a paragraph, the bulleted items are preserved when coming back to the notes, as they should be.

Attached are some screenshots to illustrate the issue:

• Screenshot 1: Typing out a note that begins with a list of three items, just before saving and closing the note.
  • Screenshot 2: How the note appears after saving and coming back to the note. As you can see, the "Item One" is no long formatted as part of the bulleted list. Now there are only two items in the list instead of the three originally entered.
  • Screenshot 3: Typing out a note that begins with a sentence and then a bulleted list. The note does not start with the list.
  • Screenshot 4: How the new note appears after saving and coming back. As you can see, it's identical to before, which is the expected behavior.

The issue happens for me consistently on the web client. I've seen the issue in all browsers I tested with:

• Chrome version 95.0.4638.69
  • Firefox version 89.0.2 
  • Firefox version 92.0
  • Edge version Version 95.0.1020.40

This issue is quite frustrating, because many of my notes have only lists and nothing else, and I try to come back to the notes and reformat the first item as a bullet, but then it immediately disappears after saving and coming back to the note. Can this bug be escalated?

List-First_Before-Saving.png

List-First_After-Saving.png

Text-First_Before-Saving.png

Text-First_After-Saving.png

8 replies to this idea

7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Issue a support ticket …

Thanks, but I had tried by going to https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action and going through the steps to submit a ticket. The message at the end said "Please submit a ticket and provide as much information as possible so we can diagnose the problem," but it doesn't let users with the free account actually submit anything, oddly enough. It just referred me to this discussion forum. Maybe I'm just missing it, but it seems very odd that Evernote restricts submitting tickets to paid plans....

• Level 5

If you are a free user, you can’t issue a ticket. This is one of the restrictions of the Free plan.

It is simple enough to understand: Real support employees cost real money. Do you contribute to pay them ? Answer it to yourself …

28 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If you are a free user, you can’t issue a ticket. This is one of the restrictions of the Free plan.

It is simple enough to understand: Real support employees cost real money. Do you contribute to pay them ? Answer it to yourself …

That makes sense. Would someone be willing to submit a ticket on my behalf? Feel free to copy/paste any of my original info as you see fit.

• Evernote Expert
10 hours ago, Zach127 said:

That makes sense. Would someone be willing to submit a ticket on my behalf? Feel free to copy/paste any of my original info as you see fit.

Probably not but to can connect with support via Twitter @evernotehelps

• Level 5

In general we only issue support tickets for ourselves. Support talks to us, wants an activity log, etc. If you don’t have the issue, this is wasting support capacity.

Of course we want a bug free app.

So I tried, in Firefox 94 and in Safari 15. I don’t run any Chromebased browsers.

No luck, the list stayed as I had created it, leaving the note and returning did no changes.

This looks like a dead end to me.

As a workaround type a „Return“ into line one, and start your list in the second line.

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Of course we want a bug free app.

So I tried, in Firefox 94 and in Safari 15. I don’t run any Chromebased browsers.

No luck, the list stayed as I had created it, leaving the note and returning did no changes.

Well, thanks for trying, guys. I'm not sure why the glitch consistently happens on my end.