Screen Capture broken in windows 11

• 2 months later...

Screen Capture (I believe that's the EN name) on Windows 11 is not working for me, as posted by Gilvan to start this thread. In my case, "not working" means that the Windows Snipping Tool launches when I click the Evernote icon in the System Tray, then click the Screen Capture icon inside the Evernote pop-up window. From that point the Windows Snipping Tool will let me do a Screenclip (I believe that is the Windows name) and let me Save the Screenclip, but does not hand that Screenclip off to Evernote - - V10, by the way.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

Have you logged a support ticket? This type of issue needs to be raised because a new OS may have broken something which Devs may not be aware of.

EDIT: Have you tried using the keyboard shortcut? Alt+Ctrl+S by default on Windows. Having an answer to that will potentially provide a workaround and probably assist in diagnosis for the developers.

Ticket #3438021 has now been submitted; thanks for your prompt.

Updated 01/11/2022: The same (failing) result occurs using Alt+Ctrl+S in EN V10 on Windows 11, which starts the Windows Snipping Tool and does not hand off a Screenclip to Evernote.

Edited by DougInNC
Added result for Alt+Ctrl+S test.
  • 1 month later...
On 1/10/2022 at 2:02 PM, DougInNC said:

Ticket #3438021 has now been submitted; thanks for your prompt.

Updated 01/11/2022: The same (failing) result occurs using Alt+Ctrl+S in EN V10 on Windows 11, which starts the Windows Snipping Tool and does not hand off a Screenclip to Evernote.

Did you find a resolution for this? I think I'm experiencing the same - the Evernote keyboard shortcut opens Windows Snipping Tool. Whether that's using the default Ctrl+Alt+S or if I change it to anything. No matter what, the key combination opens the snipping tool and not Evernote Capture Screen tool.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

Yes, I concur. Hadn't checked since I moved up to Windows 11. I have Evernote Screen Capture set to Alt+Ctrl+= and that also opens the Windows snipping tool.

@StephenP-Bfd have you raised a support ticket? This is one of those bugs created as much, perhaps more, by the OS update than by Evernote. EN will, though, want to be aware...

I think the only workaround would be to uninstall the snipping tool from Windows. I haven't tried this but I imagine it would work.

I am experiencing the same problem. I tried uninstalling the Windows snipping tool and also changing the screen capture shortcut and that didn't work for me. I filed a support ticket. Support told me they could not reproduce the error. I uninstalled Windows 11 and went back to the old Windows. 

• Evernote Expert

Thanks @Lisa99. Reverting to Windows 10 would resolve the issue.

A bit of research reveals that disabling or uninstalling the snipping tool from Windows 11 doesn't undo the shortcut key assignment. So, with no snipping tool installed, I get no screen capture nor Windows snipping option. So an even worse state of affairs if you want to capture screen clips.

Microsoft has forced an OS change so now Evernote will have to play catch up. I've raised a ticket so we'll see how I get on. I won't accept a 'cannot be reproduced' response.

Please let us know when Evernote screen capture gets fixed because I would like to eventually change to the new Windows. I need the screen capture working for my job and I can hold off on Windows for now.

10 hours ago, StephenP-Bfd said:

Did you find a resolution for this? I think I'm experiencing the same - the Evernote keyboard shortcut opens Windows Snipping Tool. Whether that's using the default Ctrl+Alt+S or if I change it to anything. No matter what, the key combination opens the snipping tool and not Evernote Capture Screen tool.

I have no Evernote resolution for Support Ticket # 3438021, filed in January. I received an email indicating the ticket has been "passed along to the development team for further review." My own resolution, of course, is to take screenshots with the Windows Snipping Tool, then paste or attach it to my Evernote. Two steps rather than one.

• Evernote Expert

I think that this issue could be very challenging. It seems that screen clipping is hard wired into Win11 and external efforts to deliver this fight against the OS at its core. I rather expect that EN will not find this an easy issue to resolve unless Microsoft reveals the underlying code.

Interestingly, Evernote Legacy screen capture works just fine in Windows 11.   I can't fully switch to the new Evernote because of this.  So, I keep both versions running at once.

• Evernote Expert

Whilst working with Windows 11 I discover that Win+Shift+S opens a screen clipper. Highlight the area to be clipped with the cross-hairs. Then paste the clipped area into a note. Not quite as quick as native Evernote screen clipping under Windows 10 but certainly much better than getting bogged down in the Windows 11 Snipping Tool and is a passable option while we wait for a proper resolution.

• Like 2
On 3/9/2022 at 6:59 AM, StephenP-Bfd said:

Evernote has not notified me of any resolution of the support ticket I opened. The workaround, of course, is two steps rather than one: Snip with Windows, then Paste into Evernote.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

Me neither but neither am I expecting a rapid resolution. To make Evernote work as previously will require the devs to work out how to overcome the OS interception of the screen cliiping command by the operating system. My gut tells me that this is likely to take some time to resolve.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having the same issue with screen capturing using only V10.  I just downloaded the newest beta 10.36.2 (the one with recurring tasks) hoping it would be fixed.  It is not.  So, I reinstalled legacy to work side by side with 10.36.2 and my screen capture now works as expected.  Too bad that I need to have both running.  I really want to give V10 a shot but every time I do, I run into issues that require me to use Legacy.  The process is always the same - download 10.xxx.  It wipes out Legacy.  I try 10.xxx for a while and then have to reinstall Legacy. 

• 1 month later...

I am very regretful about installing Windows 11 and how still Evernote team does not solve the problem.

Believe it or not, I am only paying for screenshots and OCR searching. 

Now it is useless. 

• Level 5

A problem rooted in the operating system can in most cases not be fixed by an app.

This needs to be fixed by Microsoft themselves.

To me the whole Win11 release looks more like a huge public beta than the official new version of the most installed PC OS on this planet.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

If it still works with legacy wouldn't that imply it's more than an OS issue?  Maybe it's an implementation choice issue as well.  Regardless, I'm throwing my crutches away and going all in on v10 to once and for all determine if I like it enough to upgrade from Plus to Personal. Foreseeing the day when legacy just goes away, stops working or becomes a security issue with lack of maintenance.  I'll at least continue with Plus as far as it goes as a file management and storage solution for the foreseeable future. Just don't do much else these days like actual note taking, tasks, or other project related activities. Like many others the snip into note in one key command was key to many of my troubleshooting workflows. Third most important feature for me after OCR and PDF searching.  In general I've adopted Windows 11 on personal laptop and multiple work devices and find it no better or worse than Windows 10.  I actually find some of the settings GUIs more useful than Windows 10 where I always relied on the Win 7 like legacy control panels.  

• Evernote Expert

Win+Shift+S opens the screen capture. Select the area which will save to the clipboard. Open the destination note and paste into the note.

This is something enforced by Microsoft and which cannot any longer be disabled in the registry.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

There is a workaround to this (albeit, not as elegant as anyone might want).
All screenshots taken through the Windows "Snipping Tool" are saved to  the "Screenshots" folder which is located in the "Pictures" folder of your PC.

You can use Evernote's "Import Folder" feature to automatically import the screenshot into Evernote.

There are some drawbacks, which can be circumvented with some scripting via a Windows batch file and the use of "Power Toys" (which is free).

Drawback 1

You're stuck with the windows shortcut key for the "Snipping Tool" which is Win+Shift+S

Solution

With "Power Toys" (which can be downloaded, for free from the "Microsoft Store") you can navigate to Keyboard Manager > Shortcuts.

From there you can assign a new shortcut.  I've chosen Win+`

This was the shortcut I had assigned for Evernote's screen clipping tool.

Now, whenever I type key combination Win+` it automatically translates it to Win+Shift+S

Basically, it's a Shortcut key combination (Win+`) which fires off another Shortcut key combination (Win+Shift+S).

Works really well too.

Drawback 2

if you don't routinely delete the screenshots in this folder, it will re-import all of them.

Solution

Unfortunately there's currently no option to remove the source file automatically.....well, technically there was, but it's had a "(COMMING SOON)" status for over a year, so I've begrudgingly translated that to "(NEVER GONNA HAPPEN)".

My own issues with Evernote set aside, you can write a batch file in Windows to automatically delete these screenshots routinely.  I have mine deleting evetime I log in, before I log out, and twice (on a schedule) throughout the day.  If anyone would like an example of my batch file, let me know and I can try to write up some documentation.

Drawback 3

Delay.

There is a slight delay with using the Import folder in comparison to the old screen clip.

Solution

There's no workaround that I can think of to expedite it, which means the only solution, is patience.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
6 hours ago, jon.r.rose said:

If you don't routinely delete the screenshots in this folder, it will re-import all of them.

This is not the case. Files left in the Import Folder will not be reimported unless they are edited or the update flag is reset for some reason. That said, it is a simple task to write a short batch file (for Windows) which will empty the folder on a schedule or at login to the PC.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got upgraded to windows 11 a couple days ago, and dismayed to see this still not working. I take screenshots often with Evernote (10.50.10-win-ddl-public (3842) as part of my workflow. I'll try some of the workarounds, but hope it gets fixed soon

• Evernote Expert

@bradsayers. I fear that this will not be resolved without the participation of Microsoft. It changed some of the OS functions with Win11.  I've found the Windows shortcut Win+Shift+S takes me straight to a snipping tool. I can then paste direct into a note. A small additional step but it really isn't much of a nuisance at all.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, agsteele said:

I've found the Windows shortcut Win+Shift+S takes me straight to a snipping tool.

+1. I use Win+Shift-S quite often. I also use a free screen snipping tool called Greenshot (https://getgreenshot.org/). I prefer either of those over the feature being discussed in this thread that is broken on Win 11. (Having used Evernote in both Win 10 and Win 11, I didn't even know it was broken except for this thread because I never used it to save screen clips.)

• Like 1
On 12/29/2022 at 11:42 AM, agsteele said:

@bradsayers. I fear that this will not be resolved without the participation of Microsoft. It changed some of the OS functions with Win11.  I've found the Windows shortcut Win+Shift+S takes me straight to a snipping tool. I can then paste direct into a note. A small additional step but it really isn't much of a nuisance at all.

Thanks...I did try that, but ended up reconfiguring a robust screenshot program I had used before. It runs in the tray, and I click on the icon, to get the cross hairs to draw my screenshot. I have Evernote set to monitor the output folder. It's been working really well actually. It's called Screenshot Captor, and it has TONS of good capture options. It's free. You can get it at https://www.donationcoder.com/software/mouser/popular-apps/screenshot-captor

• Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert
8 hours ago, CaptainBarnacles said:

I have installed legacy evernote until this is resolved.

The problem was created by Microsoft.  There really is a simple workaround as detailed above (actually a couple that seem to work for others). They work just as well as the Evernote keyboard shortcut.

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2022 at 5:42 PM, agsteele said:

Windows shortcut Win+Shift+S takes me straight to a snipping tool. I can then paste direct into a note. A small additional step but it really isn't much of a nuisance at all.

I tried to wait this broken feature out, finally gave up, found this thread, and that others have been waiting 16 months as well.

I have used to do what agsteele did. A bit of nuisance, with several steps for my need: Quick snippets to a new evernotes.

It must have been the extra frustration of trying and ending up with yet another stale thread - all of a sudden I came to think of a nice workaround:

Win+Shift+S, then snip, then ctrl+alt+v .

Turned out that the global shortcut ctrl+alt+v to paste in a new evernote worked for me again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 6 months later...

I discovered a helpful solution. Locate the folder where Windows saves screenshots and link it to Evernote using the 'Import folders' option. This will enable automatic synchronization of all your screenshots, which will be converted into notes in Evernote.

Screenshot 2023-09-17 213459.png

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2022 at 4:50 AM, agsteele said:

Thanks @Lisa99. Reverting to Windows 10 would resolve the issue.

A bit of research reveals that disabling or uninstalling the snipping tool from Windows 11 doesn't undo the shortcut key assignment. So, with no snipping tool installed, I get no screen capture nor Windows snipping option. So an even worse state of affairs if you want to capture screen clips.

Microsoft has forced an OS change so now Evernote will have to play catch up. I've raised a ticket so we'll see how I get on. I won't accept a 'cannot be reproduced' response.

FYI and anyone else interested, this is still not resolved on Windows 11, over 2 years after Windows 11 was released. Win-Shift-S and then paste into a new note is still a work-around, but hardly satisfactory. 

• 1 month later...

I'm not really sad.

It takes about two seconds to use the shift-windows-s combination grab screen content, put it in the windows clipboard, and paste it into a note and happily 😀move on with my life.

Vinnie

• Like 1