Evernote has become unusable

Guys I've been using this app for last +10 years, I'm on premium plan since couple of years but they way the app has evolved makes it unusable.

Using Pixel 4A which has 6GB RAM I cannot normally use the app, it takes ages to save a new simple text note, sometimes I draft a note and while in previous verions of the ap such a drafted note was automatically saved down now if I close the app it is NOT SAVED! You've added a ton of bells and whistles I don't need and at the same time you killed the basic functionality of the app. For last 2 years I've been downloading old install files and for desktop (16GB RAM) I have to use Evernote Legacy - it's a pathological situation when you pay for something you can't use in its latest iteration!

Sorry this is too much for me, time to switch for an alternative.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*

Hi.  You're talking mainly to other users here - I'd suggest you feedback your experience to Support.  You'll be doing everyone a favour in bringing it to their attention,  and might even get access to your own notes back... 

Subscribers can raise support queries here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new and Free users here - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps (or use the feedback option in the mobile client). 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Luk77 and Gazumped, 

I'm in the same situation as Luk77. 

As Gazumped suggested I will post a note to Evernote support (I'm a paid subscriber). But that's just for principle, for me Evernote is now broken beyond repair.

So I'm actually interested not by Evernote support (not any more), but by other users. Which platform would they move to, how did they handle the change? So this user's forum is probably a good start for this.

Would any of you have a recommendation for me?

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
30 minutes ago, YAG said:

Which platform would they move to, how did they handle the change?

Hi.  There have been quite a few discussions in the Forums - a general internet search for "alternatives to Evernote" and similar phrases should get you anything relevant.  How to handle it depends rather on how many notes you have and what device(s) and OS you're actually using,  and whether you simply need a document store or a fully searchable data library.

Don't give up hope though - you could always switch back to the Legacy (old) version of Evernote on Desktop,  and Support might be able to fix any issues you have with v10.

• Evernote Expert

@YAG A number of users have, in one way or another, declared that Evernote 10 is unusable. Actually, when we probe what is really being said, we often find that what has happened is that the new software has broken the workflow that these users have previously had.

It is completely true that using Evernote 10 will require some changes to workflow although I've been pleased with the way things have come back to a point where I can work in a way that is effective for me. If your workflow cannot be accommodated in the new software then, as @gazumped suggests, a good search will throw out other options.  But switching will inevitably mean creating a new way of working since no other product will work quite like the Evernote Legacy program either.

So changing because of workflow may not be any more comfortable. There are regular reports of users returning after a foray to the other side.

There remain some stubborn issues particularly around printing, performance with multiple notes, and performance with some Android devices. Progress is being made so if you can stick with the Legacy program then you may find that things continue to get better.  Lots of improvements have arrived and I anticipate that more will follow.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  There have been quite a few discussions in the Forums - a general internet search for "alternatives to Evernote" and similar phrases should get you anything relevant.  How to handle it depends rather on how many notes you have and what device(s) and OS you're actually using,  and whether you simply need a document store or a fully searchable data library.

Don't give up hope though - you could always switch back to the Legacy (old) version of Evernote on Desktop,  and Support might be able to fix any issues you have with v10.

Thanks Gazumped. As a matter of fact, I am using the legacy version on Desktop. Why is it so complicated to get the legacy version on iphone?

Also using the legacy version is by definition a temporary fix, not a long-term solution. 

More on my views/story in my post on another thread

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

@YAG A number of users have, in one way or another, declared that Evernote 10 is unusable. Actually, when we probe what is really being said, we often find that what has happened is that the new software has broken the workflow that these users have previously had.

It is completely true that using Evernote 10 will require some changes to workflow although I've been pleased with the way things have come back to a point where I can work in a way that is effective for me. If your workflow cannot be accommodated in the new software then, as @gazumped suggests, a good search will throw out other options.  But switching will inevitably mean creating a new way of working since no other product will work quite like the Evernote Legacy program either.

So changing because of workflow may not be any more comfortable. There are regular reports of users returning after a foray to the other side.

There remain some stubborn issues particularly around printing, performance with multiple notes, and performance with some Android devices. Progress is being made so if you can stick with the Legacy program then you may find that things continue to get better.  Lots of improvements have arrived and I anticipate that more will follow.

Hi agsteel. 

No, my issue is not related to workflow. Unless workflow means "opening the app".

My issue is that I cannot spend a full minute on a phone showing a blank screen with a green elephant for a full minute every time I open Evernote on my Android phone or on my iPhone. At this stage, Evernote (which has been center to my work for more than 6 years) has become for me a PC-only application. When I really need to take notes with my phones, I do it with Google Keep and have to copy and paste the content in Google Keep into Evernote when I'm back on my laptop.

And I take offense that the only solution proposed by Evernote is "just buy another $1000 phone" (actually 2 in my case, since I need to have both an Android and an iPhone). My views are in my post on another thread

• Like 3
  • Evernote Expert

I don't think I've ever heard anyone suggest that anyone needs to purchase a new phone. If performance is the issue then you may well find a suitable alternative. I wish you will in your search. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

For the iPhone I can’t reproduce this behavior. On an iPhone 11 we are talking 3-4 seconds from tapping the apps icon until the dashboard is on the screen. On an iPhone 6S+ from 2015 running iOS 15.1, which is the oldest iPhone able to run EN v10 it is appr. 10 seconds. This is long, but still usable - you don’t need to close the app every time you use it. Keeping it open speeds things up.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2021 at 12:46 PM, YAG said:

My issue is that I cannot spend a full minute on a phone showing a blank screen with a green elephant for a full minute every time I open Evernote on my Android phone or on my iPhone. At this stage, Evernote (which has been center to my work for more than 6 years) has become for me a PC-only application. When I really need to take notes with my phones, I do it with Google Keep and have to copy and paste the content in Google Keep into Evernote when I'm back on my laptop.

I have the same problem on my Android phone. Since a week or two it takes about 1 minute to open Evernote on my phone. Once open, it works well though. 

• Like 1

i love EN but, working daily with the new version on my windows laptop. basically, everything works fine. but i can understand you once i am on my android devices.

i do have only the latest and most expensive android devices like tab s7+ - the 8gb version or s21 ultra - the 16gb version. however. opening the app = always 10 seconds to see the dashboard.for every note = 5 seconds white screen until i see the actual note.

business colleagues from mckinsey etc are laughing at me all the time when i try to open something to show them, and we do have just like a few seconds before the meeting starts... it is still a little embarrassing feeling when needing in total 15 seconds and a white screen to show like 1 short bullet point of note 😞

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
54 minutes ago, BeEfficient said:

needing in total 15 seconds and a white screen to show like 1 short bullet point of note

Which is definitely sub-optimal! (also the laughing...).  Have you reported this to Support?  They must be aware that slow speeds are an issue,  but the more input they get,  the more they should realise this is a critical issue.

i haven't done that yet. i can refer them to this post, but they should know that already. i mean there were 1000 people before me complaining about the speed.

fresh android system, just 10 apps installed, everything super superfast... except evernote... as always... on all devices... 😞

so i will let them know.

• Like 1

I've never had performance problems with Evernote v10 on Android. But many say they have had performance problems. I wonder what the difference is? I have about 1500 notes and only a couple of long notes.

• Evernote Expert
Just now, ehrt74 said:

I've never had performance problems with Evernote v10 on Android. But many say they have had performance problems. I wonder what the difference is? I have about 1500 notes and only a couple of long notes.

I'm the same. I wish we could identify the common issues...

4 minutes ago, ehrt74 said:

Nor me... not used it on my phone since yesterday so just did a cold start and it was 3 Mississippi's to the home screen. Works fine.

Could be other apps chewing up resources,  folks tinkering with their phones etc...

On 12/9/2021 at 3:55 PM, Pere said:

I have the same problem on my Android phone. Since a week or two it takes about 1 minute to open Evernote on my phone. Once open, it works well though. 

I have +18k notes.

• Thanks 1