How To: Search (Ctrl F) within a Note & Exclude Characters?

Hello EN family,

I've googled this and cannot find an EN answer, its such a simple request but I've found no help.

EDITED QUESTION:

Here is specially my problem. (And I see the problem is now both Desktop and Android).

Within a very large NOTE, when I search for a specific word using Ctrl F, I type for example the word ACHIEVE, I get both ACHIEVE and ACHIEVEMENT, both words are highlighted.

But if there are over 100 results within the note, 10 being Achieve and 90 being Achievement within the note, then I have to click through all the "Achievements" to find the right Achieve.

My question is... how do I Ctrl F within a note, and omit Achievement and search only Achieve.

(Achieve is just an example word, Im doing Bible research, and there's many repeated ancient words).

When I add quote marks, example: "Achieve", I get zero results comeback, even though both, Achieve and Achievement are in the note. Quote marks don't work within Ctrl F.

I hope I explained this clearly.

I'm sure there is a simple solution to this that I'm just not aware of, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• Level 5
59 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Evernote Version:

DESKTOP: 10.24.3

MOBILE: 10.20

Yes, I read through the 3 links provided, and I could not see any method to find SEARCH results: "Achieve" and EXCLUDE words like: "Achievement" on the Mobile.

1 hour ago, leroyford said:

Evernote Version:

DESKTOP: 10.24.3

MOBILE: 10.20

Yes, I read through the 3 links provided, and I could not see any method to find SEARCH results: "Achieve" and EXCLUDE words like: "Achievement" on the Mobile.

Which smartphone do you have?

On my Android phone, using double quotes searches for exactly the string between the quotes and excludes derived words: so "Achieve" doesn't return Achievement

However, while testing, I discovered another bug: if the result list is very small (in my case 2 notes), it returns twice the same notes, a list of 2X2 notes. Is this a known problem?

• Level 5

@eric99 @leroyford

Can confirm it on EN 10.20 (iOS):

First it is important to include the search strings in double quotes to force a literal search.

Second it means exact hits. I tried with 

„mail“ -„mailserver“

and a note with „mailservers“ still came up. Only when I added the „s“ to the minused string, the note was taken out.

Have not tried with wildcards yet, maybe the thread owner can do after the proof of concept is now delivered.

1 hour ago, eric99 said:

Which smartphone do you have?

On my Android phone, using double quotes searches for exactly the string between the quotes and excludes derived words: so "Achieve" doesn't return Achievement

However, while testing, I discovered another bug: if the result list is very small (in my case 2 notes), it returns twice the same notes, a list of 2X2 notes. Is this a known problem?

Oh my mistake, I realise now didn't explain the problem correctly.

(Phone is a 'Galaxy Note 9')
(And yes, I also just noticed the double up on the same note)

My apologies, let me start again. Yes you are correct, quote marks do find all the NOTES that contain "Achieve" on both Phone and Desktop.

Here is specially my problem. (And I see the problem is now both Desktop and Android).

Within a very large NOTE, when I search for a specific word using Ctrl F, I type for example the word Achieve, I get both Achieve and Achievement, both words are highlighted.

But if there are over 100 results, 10 being Achieve and 90 being Achievement in the note, then I have to click through all the "Achievements" to find the right section.

My question is how do I omit Achievement and search only Achieve. (This is just an example word, Im doing Bible research, and there's many repeated ancient words).

When I add quote marks to example: "Achieve", I get zero results comeback, even though both the words Achieve and Achievement are in the note, so quote marks don't work within Ctrl F.

So my actual question is, how do I search a specific word and exclude all other words using Ctrl F within a note?

Sorry I did'nt make this clear the first time around.

• leroyford changed the title to How To: Search (Ctrl F) within a Note & Exclude Characters?
4 hours ago, leroyford said:

Oh my mistake, I realise now didn't explain the problem correctly.

(Phone is a 'Galaxy Note 9')
(And yes, I also just noticed the double up on the same note)

My apologies, let me start again. Yes you are correct, quote marks do find all the NOTES that contain "Achieve" on both Phone and Desktop.

Within a very large NOTE, when I search for a specific word using Ctrl F, I type for example the word Achieve, I get both Achieve and Achievement, both words are highlighted.

But if there are over 100 results, 10 being Achieve and 90 being Achievement in the note, then I have to click through all the "Achievements" to find the right section.

My question is how do I omit Achievement and search only Achieve. (This is just an example word, Im doing Bible research, and there's many repeated ancient words).

When I add quote marks to example: "Achieve", I get zero results comeback, even though both the words Achieve and Achievement are in the note, so quote marks don't work within Ctrl F.

So my actual question is, how do I search a specific word and exclude all other words using Ctrl F within a note?

Sorry I did'nt make this clear the first time around.

I'm afraid you can't achieve this with Ctrl F .  Are these articles/books attached pdf documents expanded in the note, or is it just text inside the note? If pdf, then obviously you can view it as an attachment and open it in an external viewer with more search functionality

8 hours ago, eric99 said:

I'm afraid you can't achieve this with Ctrl F .  Are these articles/books attached pdf documents expanded in the note, or is it just text inside the note? If pdf, then obviously you can view it as an attachment and open it in an external viewer with more search functionality

I have both, books in PDF form and raw text form as EVN's.

I found the benefit of copy pasting the raw text from the PDF and creating a note for various biblical books (Essentially making EN a research library of raw text, this allows my to search across all books in one search, such as the Bible and the 'Ante-Nicene Fathers' (which is a 10-volume set), this saves me from opening each PDF book and doing separate Ctrl F book searches.

EN shows narrows down the book, but the issue comes when I'm searching for a word within one book (same applies to PDF search), doing a Ctrl F has limited search filter.

But I think you maybe right, there's not filter with Ctrl F.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

I second this: The advanced search syntax is build to search for entire notes with specific properties. It does not work inside of a note, or inside of an attachment.

Ok thank you.

I have both, books in PDF form and raw text form as EVN's.

I found the benefit of copy pasting the raw text from the PDF and creating a note for various biblical books (Essentially making EN a research library of raw text, this allows my to search across all books in one search, such as the Bible and the 'Ante-Nicene Fathers' (which is a 10-volume set), this saves me from opening each PDF book and doing separate Ctrl F book searches.

EN search narrows down the book, but the issue comes when I'm searching for a word within one book (same applies to PDF search), doing a Ctrl F has limited search filter.

But I see the issue, Ctrl F does not have a search character filter.

As you probably know, there is a solution for a full word match like your example achieve and achievement:

If you append a space after achieve in the search string, all achieve concatenations like achievement will be omitted in the search result.

So, ending the search string with a space, prevents matching composed words like achievement.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, eric99 said:

As you probably know, there is a solution for a full word match like your example achieve and achievement:

If you append a space after achieve in the search string, all achieve concatenations like achievement will be omitted in the search result.

So, ending the search string with a space, prevents matching composed words like achievement.

Yes I'm aware of PDF exact searches, but as I mentioned in my last response, I have both, books in PDF form and raw text form as EVN's.

EN search narrows down the book, but the issue comes when I'm searching for a word within one book (same applies to PDF search), doing a Ctrl F has limited search filter.

1 hour ago, leroyford said:

Yes I'm aware of PDF exact searches, but as I mentioned in my last response, I have both, books in PDF form and raw text form as EVN's.

I was not talking about PDF exact search anymore. Instead I proposed a solution for EN exact search.

assume you have the following line of text: "It's a big achievement when  I can achieve an exact search in Evernote"

When you search with the term 'achieve ' ( without quotes but with ending space ) , CTRL-F will only find achieve and not achievement.

• Like 1