Ability to Pin Notes to the top of a Notebook

Samo123

Idea

I have generally have 1 Notebook for each major project I'm working on.  This helps me stay organised and limits what's visible to 3rd parties when I'm screen sharing during project meetings.  For each project/notebook I may have a number of notes, but 1 specific note would cover the "Project Overview" including progress updates.  It would be very useful to be able to pin that Project Overview note so that it remains at the top of the notes list within the Notebook and save me having to manually find it each time I need to review project actions etc.

Thanks.

• Like 7

24 replies to this idea

1 hour ago, Samo123 said:

It would be very useful to be able to pin that Project Overview note so that it remains at the top of the notes list within the Notebook and save me having to manually find it each time I need to review project actions etc.

It depends how you normally sort notes. If you sort alpabetically then @PinkElephant's suggestion works well. If you sort by created date you can manually change the created date to be something far into the future (or past) so that it appears at the top of the list. If you sort by updated date you are currently stuck. My preferred solution is to add a $pinned tag and then just filter by that tag once I have the list of relevant notes notes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Samo123 said:

It would be very useful to be able to pin that Project Overview note so that it remains at the top of the notes list within the Notebook and save me having to manually find it each time I need to review project actions etc.

I'm a tagger instead of notebooks, but can see the usefulness of having the Project Overview note at the top of the list

I use a Table of Contents note for each project    
A link to the Project Overview note is at the top;    
followed by sections for each group of project notes; for example Tasks-Active, Tasks-Pending, Tasks-Completed 

For additional points, the ToC notes are auto-generated using scripting (Applescript) and the Evernote Legacy product

Many thanks for all the feedback and some good idea's.  I normally sort by created date, sometimes by title and occasionally by modified, so for now I've incremented my 'Project Overview' note's creation date by 10 years and added a back tick to the beginning of the note title, that way I can still establish when it was originally created but it now appears at the top of my list in 2/3 sort orders.  A built in feature to do this would be great, but for now these are great suggestions.  Thanks.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

This will cause the note to show at the top of the notes list in the notebook.

Only in Legacy. Reminders appear as a separate tab in V10.

There are other hacks including the naming of the note if you sort alphabetically or changing the created date to something far in the future if you sort by created date. My personal preference is a "pinned" tag which allows me to quickly select all the important notes from any search/view.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Correct, found that out now myself.

It still is sort of an option - because you can always switch to the „Reminders“ view with one click, and there you find your „Pinned“ note with the undated reminder. The introduction of Tasks has reduced my use of classical reminders a lot, which makes it yet easier to use the reminder as a pinning flag.

But not as good as real pinning would be.

@PinkElephant I can't see a way to add reminders in v10.  I can see the reminder date column under the side list view but I'm unable to find an option that will allow me to add one to the note.  Is this possible?  You mentioned being able to switch to reminders view with one click, I can't see this anywhere?  Thanks

• Level 5

If you have the note selected, look to the bottom left of the note window.

You see a bell and a Tag, both with a + symbol. These are the options to add a reminder and tags. Since they are in grey on black they don't punch a hole into your retina, except you know where to look.

• Like 1

Would love this feature too...

Since I mainly sort by either date created or title, my workaround is starting the title of each 'pinned' note with @ and changing its created date to waaay in the future (2050 to be exact). That way the note will (almost) always appear at the top.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Thanks for looking this up - sometimes we loose a bit the sight of threads that already show a certain request, from the old & wild days of EN.

Since it is running for more than 13 years now, I want to remind that there is one workaround, which is a special character at the beginning of a note title. This plus sorting by title will show these notes first.

The other workaround by setting a reminder doesn’t work anymore when using v10.

I'd like to support this request.

Especially these days, when we have many alternatives that offer much more options as far as design of the notebook and it's behavior, I think it is critical for Evernote to offer features like this.

This allows lots of flexibility to the users and with on implementation of a simple feature you will empower many use cases.

Especially for whomever uses Evernote for research and studying, it allows to create a note that is well designed and holds links to various notes within the notebook to put it all together and map the real world into Evernote, a bit better.

Please, may this be reconsidered, now that Evernote is under new ownership and seeking ways to add atractiveness to the platform.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Brinkburn1 said:

Come on, Evernote, the ability to pin a note at the top of a Notebook would be hugely helpful.

Have you tried the reminders work around mentioned above?  It works pretty well.

On 1/5/2022 at 3:03 AM, Mike P said:

Only in Legacy. Reminders appear as a separate tab in V10.

That makes it better in my view, because you can set undated reminders for several notes, click on the reminders tab, and there they will all be -- three, four, five of the most important notes to whatever the notebook topic is.

So, advantages and disadvantages.

Vinnie

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, VincentC said:

That makes it better in my view, because you can set undated reminders for several notes, click on the reminders tab, and there they will all be -- three, four, five of the most important notes to whatever the notebook topic is.

So, advantages and disadvantages.

Vinnie

I don't use reminders now, preferring to just add a task to the note. That way all my note reminders and tasks are in one place. That potentially leaves the reminders tab for the pinned notes but at the moment I'm sticking with my $pinned tag.

• Like 1

One of the best things about Evernote is Forums like this with helpful inventive people. Thanks for your suggestions which I'll try. However, it would be great if Evernote could solve our problem with a pin-the-note solution.

• Like 1