Let Tab at beginning of paragraph insert a tab character instead of indenting the paragraph

Chanticrow

Idea

Using the Tab key at the beginning of a paragraph indents the entire paragraph instead of inserting a tab character.  This prevents typical paragraph formatting for letters and formal writing.  It also goes against the typical behavior of most text editors and note taking software.  

The Tab key works correctly when used in the middle of text.  It inserts a tab character.  It is only at the beginning of a paragraph that the Tab key causes an indentation.  If text is copied from another editor into Evernote, Evernote strips out any tabs at the beginning of paragraphs, but not tabs within the text.  

Please let Evernote work like every other text editor in regards to the Tab key at the beginning of a paragraph.

Edit: Please give Evernote the option to let the Tab key operate as a tab instead of a paragraph indent.  

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5

One can argue about this. There are apps where hitting tab at the beginning of a line of text indents it, and there are apps where this may happen based on the selected properties of a paragraph.

In general the EN editor is a basic one, not tuned to create page layouts. It has for example no tab controller, allowing to set the tab and to change tab formats. It is optimized for note taking, where indenting a paragraph by simply hitting a key is IMHO more important than page layouting.

Unless EN changes it, use a word processor or page layout app to create a text to your liking, and attach it to a note. Or use a few spaces for indenting.

My opinion - everybody can see it different and vote this thread up.

Chanticrow,

This is exactly my current problem with Evernote. It used to be that they had this feature, but after the new UI redesign, a tab now indents everything. I complained about this months ago, and since the customer service is so horrible that I can't get a serious reply from anyone about it, it will probably be the reason I cancel my Evernote subscription after using it for years. This is probably the most basic thing for a typing application to have, and the only thing Level 5 moderators seem to latch on is that "Evernote is not a text editor", when it clearly functions as that.

Is there any actual fix to this issue yet? Is it in the pipeline to add the feature to change this? At this point, there's no point in spending money to use Evernote when something that any other platform offers for free can do this simple task.

Waiting to hear more on how this is being resolved.

I really need the tab function to work as it does in all other software, indenting the first line. I can't use evernote when it either adds 4 spaces instead of a tab, or else indents the whole paragraph, this is causing me a lot of issues.

• Level 5
22 hours ago, coco26 said:

I really need the tab function to work as it does in all other software, indenting the first line. I can't use evernote when it either adds 4 spaces instead of a tab, or else indents the whole paragraph, this is causing me a lot of issues.

See my reply to your other post. And, as was mentioned here before, please, no double posting. It won't get you any different answers.