Bringing Multi Window Support to Evernote 10

Evernote 10 is getting better and better. But on my main computer I still use Evernote Legacy, as it allows me to have multiple windows of Evernote. Mostly I have three of them and sometimes up to five.

My question is now, if and when can we get also multi window support for Evernote 10?

• Level 5

We are talking about the same thing (more or less, I look at the result).

Something like in my screenshot - 3 sessions of the same EN account open side by side - is currently only possible with the web client. You can collapse the left side panel in window 2 and 3 to gain some screen width. It is said to work in Chrome, I created my screenshot from Firefox - it is not working with Safari.

Of course you can have 1 session with a desktop client, plus a number with the web client beside it.

The only other possibility is to install a legacy client and use the tabs - which will not support the new features rolled out by EN.

Pictures from 3 open sessions of my test account.

skitch.jpg.f95ccd687703aa29ebaa861096aa3331.jpg

Dear Pink Elephant,

my simple question was: Will  the native desktop client, not the webclient, ever support windows?

A little bit desperate as to how I  have to formulate my question in order to be understood.

Please choose

A: The native client will support, as the full powered legacy client, support multiple windows.

B: No, power user should go for the webclient.

• Level 5

Whoever knows - I know as much as other users can know.

The web client at least is a feasible option today - close to feature parity with the desktop clients.

If you want to get a direct answer from EN, you can issue a support ticket. About future options they tend to be not very talkative, however.

• Evernote Expert
43 minutes ago, Oliver F. said:

my simple question was: Will  the native desktop client, not the webclient, ever support windows

I think you should expect the answer to be, 'No'. Many applications do not support multiple instances. You should continue to use the Legacy application whilst you make plans for adjusting your workflow.

Of course, I have no secret knowledge and it may be something that changes. However, yours is the first request I've seen so I doubt that there is much pressure for this function to be developed under v10

• Level 5

Well, there were several requests to return the legacy-feature of multiple tabs to v10. Not exactly the same. But I think in general there is a solid use case of researching in several notes and writing it up in another.

The „Open Note in a new Window“ is only a pale alternative to this.

On 11/3/2021 at 9:14 PM, agsteele said:

I think you should expect the answer to be, 'No'. Many applications do not support multiple instances. You should continue to use the Legacy application whilst you make plans for adjusting your workflow.

I totally disagree. My workflow is driven by my job as independent consultant working with different clients.

And therefore I need the tools and I pay for tools which help me to do my. Otherwise I would expect to be payed by the tool vendors for doing the things in their way.

On 11/3/2021 at 9:26 PM, PinkElephant said:

Well, there were several requests to return the legacy-feature of multiple tabs to v10. Not exactly the same. But I think in general there is a solid use case of researching in several notes and writing it up in another.

The „Open Note in a new Window“ is only a pale alternative to this.

With an good software architectur for the desktop client this shoudn't be difficult to achieve. The patters for this exists for many decades and are supported by every larger framework.

Besides this, I currently have 4 windows open, three on my Evernode Desktop  and one on  my second monitor.

• Evernote Expert
8 hours ago, Oliver F. said:

I totally disagree. My workflow is driven by my job as independent consultant working with different clients.

Then I fear you will be waiting a long time. :( New software with new ways of working means you will have to accommodate the changes or stick with the legacy software that does things in the way that you're familiar with. You could try out competitors but that will also demand changes in your workflow. By all means keep pressing Evernote to add the features you require but given the many competing demands you shouldn't expect an early change.

• Like 1