Who Are These Mysterious Users Who Are Using My Account?

Got a message to upgrade or be left with two devices, so I chose the devices, but it didn't work. Just as the window was closing, I realised one of them was an iphone. I don't do Apple, at all.

I had to wait about a week and a half to get back in to my account, and lo and behold, there are my two devices and 6 iphones.

I don't know if this is an unsubtle way for Evernote to nudge me to upgrade, but it seems like a hack to me.

Came to the site to report a security issue, but kept getting sent round in circles. 

Came here to say - Check your devices guys, you don't know who is looking.

Alan

• Level 5*

Hi.  Several threads in the Forums deal with 'phantom' access to accounts - usually via a user name and password sourced from another account breach online.  If Evernote is given the right credentials for access it doesn't have any way to trace that a user is not elsewhere in the world.  There are several ways to protect your account - check for breaches here:

See also https://evernote.com/privacy/policy 

• Like 1

Due to these frequent account hacks - even after changing my password twice - I wanted to remove the notes I had on Evernote and shut it down.  Now all my notes are missing and there is no customer service.....lovely. It is very sad that a great program can become such a joke.

• Level 5*
On 11/3/2021 at 4:15 PM, JUWA said:

Due to these frequent account hacks - even after changing my password twice - I wanted to remove the notes I had on Evernote and shut it down.  Now all my notes are missing and there is no customer service.....lovely. It is very sad that a great program can become such a joke.

Hi.  There's so little detail in your post that I don't really know where to start.  How do you know your account has been hacked / how did you try to remove the notes / have you checked on other devices or via Evernote.com to find your notes / what device(s) are you using / do you have 2-factor authentication on your account / did you use any of the links in my post here ?

If you are seeing additional devices on your account that all use the same IP address,  it may be that Evernote is incorrectly reporting your own connections as third party access.

Oh and subscribers can raise support queries here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new and Free users here - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps (or use the feedback option in the mobile client)

• Level 5

@JUWA Have you checked you logged in correctly ? One typo in your user name, and you may have created a new (empty) account instead of going to the existing one.

And either way - securing your account can be done. If changing passwords did not help, it was either yourself who accessed (for example by using a VPN, which creates a different IP), or you have a more severe security problem, like a thoroughly bugged computer, running a keylogger.

The usual hacker is not interested in messing up accounts. He uses automation, and he is after money (like bitcoin wallet codes).