Disappointed

I'm disappointed that what is a note-taking app is trying to make itself a task-management app when there are still useful features missing that we used to have. I worry that the developers are doing things that are fun, rather than things that are needed.

• Level 5

Tasks make a ton of sense in combination with the new Home dashboard. You open EN and have everything on your Home view.

The new subscription levels are tuned to its use as well: Personal for using it yourself, Professional for coordinating a group of people working together, for example on a project. 

There is quite obviously a strategy behind it, not developers roaming freely on coding what they think could be fun.

18 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Tasks make a ton of sense in combination with the new Home dashboard. You open EN and have everything on your Home view.

The new subscription levels are tuned to its use as well: Personal for using it yourself, Professional for coordinating a group of people working together, for example on a project. 

There is quite obviously a strategy behind it, not developers roaming freely on coding what they think could be fun.

If you want it to become some bloated task manager but I just want neat, searchable notes.

• Level 5

Easy solution: Don’t use it.

Did you know that MS Excel has appr. 400 functions ? How many are you actually using ? Maybe 20, 30, few use more. So go complain at MS that this is bloated ? Or better understand what may not be useful for you may be useful for others … or for yourself 5 years from now, with new or changed use cases !

52 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Easy solution: Don’t use it.

Did you know that MS Excel has appr. 400 functions ? How many are you actually using ? Maybe 20, 30, few use more. So go complain at MS that this is bloated ? Or better understand what may not be useful for you may be useful for others … or for yourself 5 years from now, with new or changed use cases !

Excel is a spreadsheet. If they started adding database functionality in it I'd question that.

• Level 5

Oh, you are not really into it, are you ?

Exel has an own database ability (already had it when I used the 1.x version of it, a long time ago), plus it has a shitload of database query abilities, to link it directly to databases, updating the spreadsheets live from the DB.

Next try ?

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Oh, you are not really into it, are you ?

Exel has an own database ability (already had it when I used the 1.x version of it, a long time ago), plus it has a shitload of database query abilities, to link it directly to databases, updating the spreadsheets live from the DB.

Next try ?

Bad example on my part as 99% of all software is a database. My point stands though.

• Level 5

You don’t like tasks, so don’t use it. It still is as simple as that.

When the feature was launched, a lot of users joined discussions in the forum. Most with positive reactions, combined with ideas about how to improve the new feature further. All these users probably find a use for tasks, and are happy to have it all in one place.

Disclaimer: I tested it, but decided to stick with my Things 3 task manager. But I am positive EN is moving in the right direction by adding this feature. Making notes and content actionable opens new use cases.

22 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You don’t like tasks, so don’t use it. It still is as simple as that.

When the feature was launched, a lot of users joined discussions in the forum. Most with positive reactions, combined with ideas about how to improve the new feature further. All these users probably find a use for tasks, and are happy to have it all in one place.

Disclaimer: I tested it, but decided to stick with my Things 3 task manager. But I am positive EN is moving in the right direction by adding this feature. Making notes and content actionable opens new use cases.

We shall disagree. That's fine.  I find these non-note features distract from replacing the features lost after the core update, you like some of the new stuff. All good.

• Like 1