(Archived) Size of uploaded pic/note & viewing

saint78

So, I've been using the Android app for quite some time now, but never become a frequent Evernote user before now and I'm noticing some discrepancies:

When I try a wine I like, I take pictures of it with my mobile and upload them to Evernote. I believe there was a setting before if you wanted to upload in full resolution if I'm not mistaken? Well, at least they are uploaded full res from my phone with the different iterations of the app and I can view them full res on the web and on the program on my computer.

- All images show in the thumbnail view.

- In notes (pictures of wine labels) I've uploaded before, some I get blown up and can't scale down to a viewable picture. Ie. I get the full blown "pixel" view and pressing zoom out only helps a little bit, but I still can't view the image on my Android.

- On other wine labels, the image is still full resolution, but it's scaled down in the app and I can zoom fully in and out.

- Now I've uploaded the first wine label from the new 2.0 version of the app and the image is uploaded scaled down. So when I view it om my laptop, I can't get a good quality image. And I cant find anything in the settings about upload quality.

Is this a premium feature?

And what about not viewing images on the app that fit the screen?

S

EDIT 1: It's actually the size of picture taken, it's 640x416 and there's now way I can change that as I can see. When I try to change the settings in the camera view, this is the only option.

Edit 2: Actually, upon further investigation. The past several images taken with/from the Evernote app has this size. I haven't noticed before. This is definitely not the best option for me.

I'm actually quite amazed that I haven't figured this out before. I off-course want to upload pictures full resolution and view them scaled down (shrink to fit screen) on my Android phone, not uploaded in low quality and viewed in bad quality on my laptop.

A workaround I've found it to take the picture with the native camera app and then share it with Evernote I can afterwards. That way it's uploaded in full quality, but I can't view then dmn picture.

There are some pictures on my Android app which is in full resolution AND they fit the screen. These I can zoom in and out of with no problem at all.

Then there are some that are full resolution, but I can't "fit to screen" to view nor can I zoom completely out to view them. What's up with this?

S

The short of it is:

- I want to upload pictures taken/take pictures with the Android app in full resolution.

- I want to view "high quality" pictures on the web and on my laptop.

- I want to view pictures on my Android phone that are fit to screen.

Right now I have:

- Pictures taken/uploaded in bad quality ie. they don't look good on the web interface or on my laptop

- Pictures taken with earlier app is in full quality and some are shown fit to screen, others are blown up to pixelated view and I can't zoom out.

HTC Legend, stock rom, Android 2.1, lates Evernote App.

I think that the latest version of our application (2.0) will launch your preferred camera application on the phone to take the picture. In that camera mode, you should be able to choose the desired resolution from the settings (along with flash, etc.).

I think that the latest version of our application (2.0) will launch your preferred camera application on the phone to take the picture. In that camera mode, you should be able to choose the desired resolution from the settings (along with flash, etc.).

No, that's the problem. Only "Small (640x416) is avaiable as an option when you launch "Snapshot" from inside Evernote 2.0 or from widget. I've got the HTC Legend with Android 2.1 (stock) and Evernote 2.0.1.

On the Android client, we just launch the native "Camera" application on your device. When that completes, it gives us the image that you picked.

If you run the native "Camera" application from your device without using Evernote, do you see more resolution options? I.e. the interface should look the same either way, so I'm curious if you are seeing something different when launched from Evernote.

The short of it is:

- I want to upload pictures taken/take pictures with the Android app in full resolution.

Right now I have:

- Pictures taken/uploaded in bad quality ie. they don't look good on the web interface or on my laptop

- Pictures taken with earlier app is in full quality and some are shown fit to screen, others are blown up to pixelated view and I can't zoom out.

I have the same issue, I've always assumed that the resolution of the camera is so high that you can't display it properly in Android Evernote. My solution has bee to open the pic from within Evernote with Paint.net and shrink it down to 22%, then it's viewable from the cellphone.

On the Android client, we just launch the native "Camera" application on your device. When that completes, it gives us the image that you picked.

If you run the native "Camera" application from your device without using Evernote, do you see more resolution options? I.e. the interface should look the same either way, so I'm curious if you are seeing something different when launched from Evernote.

When I run Evernote and add a note with the "Snapshot" button, I automatically enter the native Camera app. All settings are identical to when I only launch the camera app, except the resolution settings. Here I only get "Small (640x416)" as an option.

When only launching the camera app itself, I get a total of 4 settings:

5 M (2592x1728), 3 M (2048x1360), 1 M (1280x848), SMALL (640x416)

It seems Evernote is limiting the resolution settings? As I've pointed out in the previous post, it's been this for some time only I haven't noticed. It's after I started using Evernote more actively that I've noticed.

Hope you have a fix for this soon. Keep up the good work!

The short of it is:

Right now I have:

I have the same issue, I've always assumed that the resolution of the camera is so high that you can't display it properly in Android Evernote. My solution has bee to open the pic from within Evernote with Paint.net and shrink it down to 22%, then it's viewable from the cellphone.

A bit annoying workaround....well, more unnecessary hassle. But WHY are some pictures taken in full resolution (5MPX) showing properly scaled down and some others showing blown up?

This has to do with which Android version I've been using. At one point, Android did work properly and then suddenly something changed and it doesn't anymore.

The short of it is:

A bit annoying workaround....well, more unnecessary hassle. But WHY are some pictures taken in full resolution (5MPX) showing properly scaled down and some others showing blown up?

This has to do with which Android version I've been using. At one point, Android did work properly and then suddenly something changed and it doesn't anymore.

I have not noticed that inconsistency.

Just gathered some information on pictures in a specific Notebook:

Size Created Exif Note Attributes

Note 1 416x640 15.11.2010 HTC Legend None

Note 2 1728x2592 10.10.2010 HTC Legend Source: mobile.android

Note 3 1728x2592 21.08.2010 HTC Legend Source: mobile.android

Note 4 768x1024 10.05.2010 ? None

Note 5 768x1024 10.05.2010 ? None

Note 6 768x1024 08.02.2010 ? None

Note 7 1024x768 26.12.2009 HTC Hero Source: mobile.android

Note 8 750x1000 03.12.2009 ? - Should be HTC Hero None

Note 9 750x701 19.10.2009 ? - Should be HTC Hero None

All I really want, is to view them correctly on Android, fitted to the screen no matter what resolution they were uploaded.

Ok, thanks for the reports. If anyone else tries eCamera, I'd be curious to see if that helps.

Just to summarize, we have two separate problems/bugs:

1) You can't select image resolution from within native camera app started from Evernote

- but in past editions of Evernote for Android you could.

2) Different image sizes won't be uniformly displayed on Android screen

- but for some reasons some notes/images will even though they are "full resolution" upload.

Hope you can work these out soon, but just to let you know, you are doing a great job with Evernote for Android!

S

• 3 weeks later...

EDIT:

I can now take full resolution pictures from inside the Evernote app with the recent update to Android 2.2 on my HTC Legend. BUT I can still not view the pictures/notes on the Legend properly. I can't zoom out enough to view the entire image and I can't fit to screen.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't scale down to a usable picture either. When I look at a note (created on the phone using the standard camera app) on Evernote web, it claims that the image is (generally) 640x480, and I can see the whole picture. When I open the same image on the phone, It displays totally zoomed in. I can only see a couple of characters at a time. No matter how far I zoom out I can't see the whole image. The strange thing is that a few images (~10%) appear properly, i.e., I can see the whole image. This makes the application useless on the phone. I'm running Android 2.2 on a Nexus One, using Evernote 2.5 free version.

Certain phones simply don't provide camera resolution controls when using the image capture intent. A simple workaround that does not involve downloading a new camera app:

1. Take the photo using the standard camera app directly

2. Open Evernote and Create/Edit a note

3. Attach the picture from the gallery

• 3 weeks later...

I have a bunch of photo notes of recipes that I can't read because they won't fit on the screen. I don't want to change the resolution of my Evo's camera, I just want them to fit-to-screen. Evernote only lets me zoom out so far, and it's not far enough to read the note. I don't see an answer for this part of saint's question.

If the only option is to change the resolution on the camera, is that specific for when evernote uses the camera or will I have to change it back when I want to take photos outside of evernote?

This is a big deal if I can't read my notes, and I'm checking out other apps. But I still can't believe this simple functionality doesn't exist in Evernote. It can do so many things, fit-to-screen should be easy, no?

Fit to screen will be fixed in new Android 3.0 beta 1 version (coming out on 1/28 - 1/29).

We will try our best to fit the pictures taken by mobile or other clients (minus the web clippings ).

If you have any problem with Camera app of your phone then you can try eCamera app from Android market.

Archived