I want the old Evernote back

Decade long premium user here, at the end of my wits. I open a new note and it's already populated with a pinned one. Major lagging or just blank screen spinning. Search does not work. Annoying widgets to click through just to get to notes. Please reinstate the old version because it was fast, productive and efficient and the new version is the exact opposite. You can push your experiments on the free users but I pay for it so I will have a say in it or I will find a different product. You just destroyed an amazing app so fire those responsible and salvage what you can. I don't want to go through the trouble of migrating thousands of notes to a different platform but i will not pay for a slow, inefficient and counterproductive product.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Evernote Expert

@willoh Hopefully you feel better for having had your say. However these are primarily user-to-use forums so whilst we can empathize we have no means of helping. It is possible to get the apk for the older version and use that if you wish. It is will documented in these forums.

If you want to give feedback then the option in the app is the way to go. Otherwise open a support ticket to get help with a specific issue.

• Like 1
On 10/25/2021 at 4:57 AM, willoh said:

Decade long premium user here, at the end of my wits. I open a new note and it's already populated with a pinned one. Major lagging or just blank screen spinning. Search does not work. Annoying widgets to click through just to get to notes. Please reinstate the old version because it was fast, productive and efficient and the new version is the exact opposite. You can push your experiments on the free users but I pay for it so I will have a say in it or I will find a different product. You just destroyed an amazing app so fire those responsible and salvage what you can. I don't want to go through the trouble of migrating thousands of notes to a different platform but i will not pay for a slow, inefficient and counterproductive product.

@willoh .. share your thoughts

@agsteele ... this forum is running under evernote.com, so ist legaly part of EN organisation. This is even reflected by labeled staff members like CEO @Ian Small Its the way EN decided to get in contact with the customers, special the paying customers that are paying the sallary of the staff members here. I like peer to peer, not sure if EN uses this chance of assests posted over here. You are right, using the described channels is the way EN has designed the process. If you follow up the disk trashing thread on windows, a ticket in parall opened without any visible serious action fom EN.

Not to get misleaded, that is not on you. Your support is highly appreciated.

• Level 5

When you open a ticket, you gets return email to your registered mail address within minutes. If not, check your Spam folder, and that the mail address in EN settings is still active.

This is followed by an email from a support employee, first level support. They will fill in the sheet with asking questions (sometimes a lot of them …), and offer standard advise.

If the problem can’t be solved, they pass the request on to 2nd level. They will tackle problems that can’t be solved by the standards.

So far, so good.

There will always be a rest, that support can’t solve at all. This is passed on to the devs, and joined with whatever they are working on. Bugs usually get a priority, and only on top level stuff the work starts immediately.

2 release cycles until a fix can be delivered is the minimum, given that even a simple bug fix needs to pass a QA step before you can feed it into the release channel.

And then there are bugs where you need a 3rd party, like the provider of the framework that nests the app and runs all processes that have to do with the OS of the computer on which the app is running.

This is more or less how support will be provided. You can define yourself where you would expect a „visible serious action by EN“ should have happened. With EN you get a last action (usually) when something is passed on to the devs.

Best practice for me so far was the team from GoodNotes when releasing v5. I had dropped some bug reports, and they were run down in a similar process as I described above.

On most of them I received an email when a fix was in the next release, asking me to install it, try it out and confirm the problem was fixed.

This was really nice, knitting all the loose ends together. But the last one took 6 months to fix, just to mention.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
7 hours ago, galaktor said:

... this forum is running under evernote.com, so ist legaly part of EN organisation. This is even reflected by labeled staff members like CEO

Yes but... The heading for these threads is clear enough...

Evernote for Android Issues (Versions 10.0 and above)

Get community-based help for the new Evernote Android (Versions 10.0 and above).

Staff do, occasionally, drop by but the main mode of support is user-to-user. Don't expect more, but if you get it then it is a pleasant surprise ;)

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2021 at 5:32 AM, PinkElephant said:

On most of them I received an email when a fix was in the next release, asking me to install it, try it out and confirm the problem was fixed.

This was really nice, knitting all the loose ends together. But the last one took 6 months to fix, just to mention.

Never happened to me at Evernote. With time, I completely gave up on filing bugs to support: It feels just like such a waste of my time. 

I come to the forum for information (to see whether a release works, mostly not a given), get emotional support (the comfort that I'm not the only one faced with incredible bugs and versions that never should have been released in the first place; sympathizing with users that have tens of thousands of notes and don't know where to go), and entertainment (hysterical outbursts and tantrums from users that try to use Evernote for work; suggested workarounds for what are supposed to be basic features differentiating Evernote from writing/printing things on paper and stacking them in the basement; seeing how Evernote performance in v10 compares to watching grass grow; etc).

@willoh, I feel with you. Sometimes one just can't win. Life is suffering. Think positive: At least Evernote prepares you for life in purgatory.