Basic search issue - created: and updated:

Hi all - I have a number of saved searches that include the created: and updated: search terms. For a while, those terms have returned way too many notes in the search results.

For example:

created:day-2

should return notes with a creation date within the past two days. It does return those notes, but also about 400 other notes that do not have a creation date in that period. For example, the search returns a note with a created & updated date of July 16, 1991. The only common factor appears to be that the notes are all ones where I modified the creation date to an earlier date (usually to match the date of a document I scanned). However, these other notes were not created or updated in the two day period, and there are other notes that I "backdated" that don't appear in the search results.

Same happens when I search for updated:day-2.

The same thing happens even I use the date instead of the day- formulation. So on 10/21/2021 (today as I post this), these two searches produce the same results:

updated:day-2

updated:20211019

I've deleted and recreated the saved searches multiple times, so the problem isn't because they were created while using the now-legacy version.

Any thoughts? If there were some other search term that I could add to get around that problem, that would be fine, too. 

By the way, I'm on the Evernote Personal plan, and have over 25,000 notes saved. 

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you're still getting multiple false positives when using your search terms,  then you could try refreshing the search index,  or for a rather more extreme refresh,  uninstall / restart and reinstall the app you're using.  First off though I'd suggest just logging out and back in or a complete system restart to clear all memory.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cyberry said:

Any thoughts? If there were some other search term that I could add to get around that problem, that would be fine, too. 

I've certainly not had this experience and those searches seem to work for me. I agree with @gazumped. Unclick tools -> preferences -> save data at log out. Then log out and log in again. Everything should reload.

You could also try the search on the web version. If that doesn't work then you may have a more serious problem and will probably need to raise a support ticket (provided you are a paying customer)

• Like 1

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions - on point, as usual.

When I tried the search on EN Web, it returned the correct results.

When I unclicked "save data", that didn't solve the problem. But that plus logged out and in again (I think I had to do it twice, curiously) took care of the problem. 

Interestingly, the results are correct on my desktop, but are still wrong on my laptop (where I haven't yet turned off save data and logged out and in). Maybe the problem is related to having lots of notes in the account.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

New development - the "false positives" returned on my desktop. I wonder if running the search on my laptop and getting wrong results triggered the problem to return on the desktop (upon syncing, presumably). 

I'll log out in both places and see if that solves the problem. To be continued!

• Like 1

Just logged out of both my home desktop and laptop, with the "save data at log out" NOT selected. As I logged out I also selected "Remove my Evernote data from this device".

Then logged back in on my desktop (which took a while). The date-restricted searches are working correctly - no false positives.

Later in the day I'll see what happens when I log in on the laptop.

• Thanks 1

I haven't logged into the laptop yet, but the search results on my desktop now include the "false positives" again. For example, for the search for notes updated or created within the previous 2 days, instead of 44 notes (which is the number I get when I do the search on Evernote Web) there are now 441 notes.

I remembered that I had not logged out of Evernote on my work desktop (though I did close the app last night before I left my office). When I am back in the office next Tuesday I will log out from the work desktop as well, then log out at home and see what happens. I should log out on my Android phone as well.