Encrypt full notes and/or notebooks.

SZ-1F9DC0

Idea

I have seen threads relating to this feature dating back to 2014. It's an odd omission, it would be great to have end-to-end encryption for entire notes or notebooks. Since the notes can be exported to HTML, this seems like it would not be too difficult to encrypt entire notes, even if they contain tables, specially formatted text or attachments.

• Like 2

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5

OH, another feature request about this encryption issue. As you said yourself, there are very old, very long threads about it in the forum.

Personally I don‘t think another thread on generally the same issue will make the sun move around the earth tomorrow.

• Like 1

It may well be old and tired (like me) but I would still like to know why I used to be able to encrypt an entire note and now I cannot even encrypt more than about 20 lines within a note.  A very unpleasant retrograde step.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You can only encrypt part of a text. Nothing retrograde, it never was more than that in EN. They ironed out one or two issues with some of the latest releases, but so far that is it.

Depends on your use case what you should be looking for. If you were looking for the greatest encryption tool under the sun, try again.

Well, it worked at some point.  For years I kept some of my sensitive stuff on a single EN note, about 50 lines long, encrypted as a single note.  I added and modified as needed.  Last week I went to add a line and it would let me decrypt it, but not encrypt it back again unless I did it in separate notes, sometimes allowing me 8 lines, other times 15 or 20.  Very frustrating.  Should I be looking at OneNote?

I don't understand the reference to "greatest encryption tool under the sun".  I'm not trying to stump the NSA, just keep it away from thieves. 

• Level 5

EN for sure is not the greatest encryption tool under the sun ...

If you want it safe (as safe as it gets), get yourself a good password manager. They usually have a "safe notes" feature - and this stuff is really encrypted, not only "sort of".

About the size problem: On trying I had no problem at all to encrypt (and decrypt) a pretty long text. Just make sure the text contains NO formatting at all ! No bolds, no underlines, no active links, no checkboxes, numbered or bulleted lists or the like. Just nice, plain text. Then it should work on longer text as well.