Have been hating EN with a passion for years, finally "You cannot select more than 50 notes" triggered me enough to move to Obsidian

For those of use who have been with EN for years every new update has been a disappointment. Now with v10 comes the nonsense about not being able to select  a bunch of notes and delete them. You have to do it in batch of 50. And even then, it takes 5 mins or so because it sends an individual request per note /facepalm

Who comes up with this *****? Every design decision seems tailored towards punishing users for being foolish enough to store enough notes in their app.

Finally converted bulk converted my notes to markdown and moved over to obsidian. What a breath of fresh air. On top of everything else, I've finally got all my notes in my hard disk, just like it used to be in the early days of EN, when I first became a subscriber. ***** you, EN

• Like 2

I upgraded without thinking too much of it, and I found myself with V10... not sure how to revert back to Legacy, no doubt you can find versions knocking around somewhere, but that's only postponing the inevitable, isn't it? anyway, good luck with Legacy :-) 

• Like 1

I was restructuring my notes the other day (thousands) and the 50 note limit message popped up. It got me very scared. For me it’s a classic scenario when I decide that a bunch of tags deserve their dedicated notebook. it’s a good thing the legacy version is still around, and in fact I keep the last old version on a second computer so when the time comes I will be able to migrate out of evernote with limited pains. 
I must say that v10 2 years on is fairly stable, on the Mac, but still  slow as hell. The iOS version is still unusable. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, zinoff said:

I must say that v10 2 years on is fairly stable, on the Mac, but still  slow as hell.

v10 came out in October 2020 - so it's only been a year,  though it may seem much longer...  agree with you on the speed however...  :(

5 hours ago, zinoff said:

I was restructuring my notes the other day (thousands) and the 50 note limit message popped up. It got me very scared. For me it’s a classic scenario when I decide that a bunch of tags deserve their dedicated notebook. it’s a good thing the legacy version is still around, and in fact I keep the last old version on a second computer so when the time comes I will be able to migrate out of evernote with limited pains. 
I must say that v10 2 years on is fairly stable, on the Mac, but still  slow as hell. The iOS version is still unusable. 

The 50 note limit was introduced to 'hide' the poor performance. For me, a poor performance is still better than the 50 note limit though.  I've also the impression that EN doesn't use the available resources to speed it up: my PC has 16 GB of ram and half of it is left unused).

For me speed is actually OK. And on Mac OS I don't see that kind of speed issues that everybody is talking about. But I reality I don't care if something is opend in 3 sec or in 5 sec.

But, connected to @gotofritz move to Obsidian, I don't see how that are same programs? I like Obsidian a lot, but whenever I wanted to replace Obsidian with EN it just didnt work. I see Obsidian only for some notes, wikipedia style like, but when you want full productivity system it just doesn't work ( well for me in any case ). Specialy for capturing phase.

• Level 5
16 hours ago, gotofritz said:

I upgraded without thinking too much of it, and I found myself with V10... not sure how to revert back to Legacy, no doubt you can find versions knocking around somewhere, but that's only postponing the inevitable, isn't it? anyway, good luck with Legacy 🙂

No need to go to some shady archive dump: EN advises on in, and in the help article is the download link. Legacy is the latest pre-v10 client, but set to never autoupdate,

Offering legacy is part of the EN transition strategy, especially for engrained workflows and features missing in v10.

• Like 1

Thanks @PinkElephant

On 10/16/2021 at 4:28 PM, Frki2 said:

But, connected to @gotofritz move to Obsidian, I don't see how that are same programs? I like Obsidian a lot, but whenever I wanted to replace Obsidian with EN it just didnt work. I see Obsidian only for some notes, wikipedia style like, but when you want full productivity system it just doesn't work ( well for me in any case ). Specialy for capturing phase.

Well to each their own @Frki2 :-) 
I guess that's the basic problem behind EN, they need to be all things to all people to keep the investors happy, but we are all different and have different needs... in my case I used EN mostly with the web clipper, as a way to curate page, code fragments and screenshots from around the web, and Obsidian  works brilliantly for that, especially now that it finally has an Android version (Disclaimer: haven't tried it yet)

• Like 2