Only two devices but stopped syncing on Iphone XS

I have used Evernote for 10 years on only two devices - my iphone and my laptop. However recently it stopped syncing on the iphone. I deleted the app and reinstalled. No change. I "removed the device" and then added it again. Still no syncing. It demands that I upgrade, but Evernote documentation says I can have two devices for free and this has been the case forever. So I am confused. Why do I have, truly, only two devices yet it wants me to upgrade in order to sync my iphone? Thank you for any help or advice you can offer. Please see screenshot from my iphone showing only two devices. 

IMG_4045.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar situation except that web clipper stopped working on my mac. When I reinstalled it, clipper counted as an additional device forcing me to either delete the Mac (that would make no sense), or the phone (which would be inconvenient). Is that the punishment for staying on the free plan?

• Level 5

It is in the current set of rules - the web client was declared a device one year ago. EN stated that since it is (nearly) on feature parity, treating it as such would be justified.

A free ride stays a free ride, and you can use 2 clients. If you feel punished by it, then you are even free to feel punished while living of the subscriptions other users pay. Need more, subscribe yourself.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/218558068