Help! 10.22.3 changed all of my system icons to Evernote Icons

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

I installed 10.22.3 today and all of a sudden most of my files (.doc, .txt, .xls, .csv, .pdf, etc) have been replaced by the Evernote Elephant Icon. What's worse, when I double-click any of these files, Evernote tries to open them.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro, 6.1.7601 SP 1 build 7601.

I have refreshed, rebooted, deleted IconCache.db, rebooted again, and nothing changes.

.jpg, .mp3, .gif, .mp4, .ahk, and other files are not affected. Any ideas gratefully received!

Evernote Bug.jpg

• Level 5
  • Solution

Oooops !

Probably somehow (don’t ask me how) EN was set as new standard app for all of these file types.

You can reassign another standard app (like Adobe Acrobat to pdf or Word to doc) to one of the extensions, and see if it returns to its normal look. If it works for one, you can do the same for the others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Evernote added some file associations to support "Open-With" and "Send-To" to auto import some file types.

Sounds like your system did not have default handling configured for some files and the OS was handling them for you.

You can use this article to reset the associations to apps you want to use - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-which-programs-windows-7-uses-by-default-62fd162f-8c82-0436-806f-c60d69dcf495

You can also right click on the file and then "Open with" and select an application and set that applicaiton to always open that file type.

windows 7 - Not possible to choose program x as default program - Super User

Hi @RMorgan I think it might be more far reaching than that

I had a new work laptop yesterday with Office 365 installed by my IT Team; I installed Evernote 10.22 yesterday - all was fine, office apps opening correctly

Today, I installed 10.23 from the website as a direct download; all the following file types were set and associated to Evernote as the handler - I would state this is bad behaviour on the installers part; it should be asking about default handling surely?

.avi
.csv
.doc
.dotx
.mov
.mp3
.mp4
.ppt
.psd
.rft
.text
.wav
.wmv
.xcf
.xls
.xlsx
.xml

O/S Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2

On my iMac; no such issue :)

Edited by danio72
Added an extra note

The same thing happened to me after installing Evernote for Windows 10.23. The default App for all my MS Word and Excel files was changed to Evernote and I had to change the default settings for each file extension back to Word and Excel. Running Windows 11.

• Evernote Expert

I lost the link to .csv .txt .docs and .xlsx files after installing 10.23 Maybe more than that.  They also disappeared from the right click New menu. Some research revealed that Evernote had taken these over too.

I have the same issue, being prompted for the program to use to open Word, Excel, etc., files.

My right-click context menu for New contains 5 entries. No New Folder, Excel spreadsheet, Word document, etc.

And in File Manager, the New Folder button is not working. It seems the only way to add a new folder at this point is to use my laptop, and that only works for OneDrive files.

Not too confident these will get restored with any Evernote update...

• Evernote Expert

In Windows the likely easiest route to returning to normal would be to undertake a Windows System Restore to the point prior to the arrival of version 10.23  Since the roll out of 10.23 is suspended you should anticipate that te issue will be fixed before you are reoffered an update.

Alternatively you can manually fix the various links.  I chose the Winows Stem Restore for simplicity and speedy resolution.

Hei Guys and Tech from EN.

This is seriously annoying. All my office files association such as excel and words are by default fixed to be open with Evernote. To make it worst, usually i get to right click on my windows to open new Office files such as words, powerpoint and excel but this EN release have crashed it and theres no way i could fixed this but to reinstall the windows. Appreciate if you can remove the file association on the next release and just keep the app simple. This is extremely time consuming for me to reconfigure my windows and I did it twice as i wasnt able to find out the root cause was due to the EN latest app update.

Thanks.

image.png.00f67c6925b16d32724d542869d57cb5.png 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, RMorgan said:

Uninstalling 10.23 should restore the default apps.  We're working on a fix.

FYI - 10.23.7 is still the download given by the button on

https://evernote.com/download 

How can we get the previous version?

19 hours ago, agsteele said:

In Windows the likely easiest route to returning to normal would be to undertake a Windows System Restore to the point prior to the arrival of version 10.23  Since the roll out of 10.23 is suspended you should anticipate that te issue will be fixed before you are reoffered an update.

Alternatively you can manually fix the various links.  I chose the Winows Stem Restore for simplicity and speedy resolution.

I looked for that as well but found I need a bigger drive to support more than one restore point. Pushing that to the top of the list...

• Evernote Expert

Finding earlier versions is the task for your favourite search engine.

I found that I had to repair the file associations for only two or three file types so it wasn't a massive task for me 

• Level 5

Since the wrong assignment AFAIK happens during the installation, not while using the app, I think it is much easier to manually reassign the file types to their original standards, than to make a big uninstall / reinstall action out of it.

On 10/16/2021 at 9:29 AM, agsteele said:

Finding earlier versions is the task for your favourite search engine.

I found that I had to repair the file associations for only two or three file types so it wasn't a massive task for me 

Totally agree with that. I am comfortable updating the registry. My issue is the right-click context menu for New. That is proving to be harder to fix, even with supplied reg files supplied by some folks out there.

Same thing happened to me. Changed all my icons and cant get the old ones back. Now every association to .txt etc has elephant icon.. Not what I wanted. And not possible to reverse with the "Open with.." Dont have time to waste on such a annoying matter.

• Evernote Expert

I found a suitable fix.  I opened REGEDIT and went through the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT section searching for each of the file suffixes in question

.docx - Word.Document.12
.pptx - PowerPoint.Show.12
.xlsx - Excel.Sheet.12

I then edited the default string value to give the entry in the second column above. Actually this is already a little hazy so take things slowly to be sure.  I think I initially searched the registry for Evernote.Office and this located each of the file types I was concerned about. Changing the value as shown fixed the New context menu entry.

The following website was my starting point although it didn't ultimately quite provide the answer I needed. The presence of the Evernote.Office default string value was the give away for me.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/remove-items-from-new-context-menu
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...