bulk convert of HTML clips?

so a few versions back - in a huge update - evernote started treating webclips ... differently.. boxing them in html in evernote - rather than editable docs.  now i have 13k notes -- majority of them is web clips (recipes, how-to's, craft patterns)... typically i edit them to add check boxes (ie what row i knit), bullets etc... and in the original clipped format (pre html addition) they were easily readable on all devices.. 

now .. its a boxed html.. not editable .. and frankly a mess.

now i know i can go to EACH and EVERY note and hit simplify etc.

the issue with this is - well 13000 notes..and secondly it REDATES every single note i 'edit' to make editable.

is there a way to turn off this "feature" of showing all my webclips in html?

from the past 7 month or so going forward i have been clipping in 'simplified' where possible - but that doesnt fix the past broken notes.

tia

Screenshot 2021-10-13 09.28.30.png

• Level 5

How many notes do you use at any given time ?

1 - maybe a second at most

Sure you can open more than that, but you can’t use and edit it.

So if you want to edit a note that contains a web clip, hit the magic wand symbol, it converts, done.

The change in strategy makes a lot of sense - it is an elegant way to balance showing the original web site as good as possible, but to make editing as smooth as possible as well. There is no chance (given the multiple ways how modern websites are created) to create an editor that does both, on all websites. Proof of this statement ? Just look how many editors and content management systems exist.

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, ciara_belle said:

is there a way to turn off this "feature" of showing all my webclips in html?

from the past 7 month or so going forward i have been clipping in 'simplified' where possible - but that doesnt fix the past broken notes.

There is no means to disable this view.  However, the HTML code block is a feature of Evernote v10.  If it is really a major issue then use the old Legacy version of Evernote and you will see things as you did previously.

As for simplifying the code block.  I'd just do it the next time you access a note.  So don't attempt to do it on all - just wait until it is needed. Alternatively, in the Legacy application make the small of edits - add a space or delete a character and the code will be simplified for you in v10.

17 minutes ago, agsteele said:

There is no means to disable this view.  However, the HTML code block is a feature of Evernote v10.  If it is really a major issue then use the old Legacy version of Evernote and you will see things as you did previously.

As for simplifying the code block.  I'd just do it the next time you access a note.  So don't attempt to do it on all - just wait until it is needed. Alternatively, in the Legacy application make the small of edits - add a space or delete a character and the code will be simplified for you in v10.

I was doing the 'as needed' but honestly - when it comes to several devices this wasn't working. for example i have a Mac, Win10, Android, Lenovo Yoga book (older android) and Ipad (which is always darnwell updating its database for some reason).  so while i can see ok on mac and wins, the android ones are not so easy .. and it totally messes up the notes.. so i have to then go FIND it on mac or Win version and then fix it.. wait for sync then view it on android..  a total pita. 

for the same reason - back dating b4 v10 is not doable -- as i'd be doing that over 5 versions and the db's are already converted.

thanks

• Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, ciara_belle said:

for the same reason - back dating b4 v10 is not doable -- as i'd be doing that over 5 versions and the db's are already converted.

The good news is that each device can run which ever version you choose and, indeed, you can even have v10 and the Legacy running on a laptop at the same time. As long as you don't attempt to edit the same note in both versions at once. I have Legacy and version 10 on my Windows laptop without any trouble as well as an Android phone (v10) and tablet (v8). They all behave without a problem. The only limitation is that the older versions cannot display notes which include the new features - tasks and calendars.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Since I don’t run any Android, nothing to say about that client. Simplifying web clips works on iOS as it works on the Mac. One click on the magic wand, that appears above of the soft keyboard, and it converts in a blink.

The result looks identical to a clip made with the EN web clipper, using the „simplified mode“ of the web clipper itself, instead of using the magic wand on a full web clip.

Personally I see no problem at all in converting when I need it, on each platform I use. If I want to preserve the original web clip, I can always duplicate the initial note before simplifying. The duplicate comes with all properties, especially the tags and the URL.