Having PDF annotation open along with the note causes note text not to be saved

Hi all,

I found a bug where if I open a note, open the pdf to annotate and highlight it, and whilst that is open, make notes in the same note that the PDF is attached once the PDF is saved all text written since it was opened for annotation is removed.

This is really annoying as I could not find a way to recover text, and it is useful to be able to highlight and take notes at the same time.

Any chance of a fix? Steps to reproduce:

1. Attach PDF to note
  2. Open note in new window and open annotation view for PDF.
  3. Write text in note.
  4. Annotate and save PDF.
  5. Text gone.

Thanks

• Evernote Expert
4 hours ago, GiacomoLaw said:

I found a bug where if I open a note, open the pdf to annotate and highlight it, and whilst that is open, make notes in the same note that the PDF is attached once the PDF is saved all text written since it was opened for annotation is removed.

Thanks for the steps to reproduce. I wish we saw that offered more often.

However, I am not able to reproduce.

I open the annotation view and it takes over the Evernote window and I am unable to access any note to add comments.  The annotation window takes focus and adding note content isn't possible.

Perhaps you could describe how you return to the note to add text whilst the annotation view is active.

19 hours ago, agsteele said:

Thanks for the steps to reproduce. I wish we saw that offered more often.

However, I am not able to reproduce.

I open the annotation view and it takes over the Evernote window and I am unable to access any note to add comments.  The annotation window takes focus and adding note content isn't possible.

Perhaps you could describe how you return to the note to add text whilst the annotation view is active.

Apologies - double click on the note to open it in a new window, and use that to annotate. Write notes in the other window.

• Level 5

EN treats AFAIK a note as an entity. I think it can only handle one string of changes to that entity - either an annotation to the attachment, or comments written into the text body.

The workaround is probably to annotate the original note, and type the text remarks to it into a new note.

After finishing the operation, simply select both notes, and merge them together. You can even select which note goes first - text above attachment, or the contrary.