Fujitsu ScanSnap last edition very slow with Evernote

It takes 2 minutes to scan one page. The wake up time of ScanSnap combined with the wake up time of Evernote ( I have 9000 notes) is way too long. The old version of ScanSnap was quick, I never had a problem but this one takes so long. Didi you notice that too?

• Level 5

No, I have not noticed a change with my ix500.

Because the workflow is better, I switched to use the ScanSnap Manager Software together with import folders.

Scan to SSM, let it OCR, then change the file name to a good, speaking name. It will be used as note title.

Then save the file in SSM into an import folder. I have it preselected in SSM, less clicks. EN grabs it from the import folder, creates a new note, names it after the file name and puts it into the notebook specified in the import folders setup.

• Evernote Expert

For me, the ScanSnap process works sedately but in the same manner as ever.  I did, once, change the scan settings to higher resolution and that slowed tye sanning process significantly. I reset the resolution to 150dpi and everything trundled along as expected.

Once the scan is complete selecting Evernote as the destination is more or less instantaneous in saving the scan to a note.

Like @PinkElephant I use the ScanSnap Manager software rather the ScanSnap Cloud.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Probably the speed depends on the computer as well.

Going to 150dpi is a good idea, usually this will be sufficient for all possible uses. Another can be to turn the compression rate up in the scan profile, again resulting in a smaller file size. It is a basic decision whether to OCR by the scanner software, or let EN do the OCR. If done by EN, the OCR result will only serve to build the search index. If done by the scanner software, the text is legible and can be extracted. 

On my high speced MacBook Pro 15“ OCRing does only take a few seconds after the last page is scanned. Most is done while the scanner is still munching on pages. It easily runs on 15-20 pages a minute. On a slower computer OCR can create a waiting moment before the scanned file is available.

I found it problematic to scan directly to the import folder. It already started to import while the scan had not yet finished. This created a number of notes with broken pdf files - only the last pdf was readable. So I scan to ScanSnap Manager, let it OCR, do the renaming, and then send the finished pdf to the import folder for import into EN.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a follow up question.  I recently took the update that seemed to be forced on me from the ScanSnap ix1500.  I'm still using ScanSnap Manager, but what has changed (that seems to slow me down) is that the scanner won't allow input without my computer being on, logged in, and open.  With the old version I used to be able to scan any time even when my computer wasn't on or even plugged in or in the room.  

Do any of you know a way I can change that?  It used to be much faster just because it went by the scanner's wireless network access (at least that was my guess what it was doing).

• Level 5

Personally I don't remember any version of the ix-series that was able to scan without a connected computer up and running. The only exception may be to use the Fujitsu ScanSnap Cloud service. I avoid it because I don't want to drop my scans into yet another cloud service.

Another method to scan without the computer running is to send the scans from the ix scanner directly to ones own mobile phone. This happens locally, within of the same WiFi, much better in terms of privacy.

But the standard is still to ramp up a connected computer, use ScanSnap Home or Manager, and let them do the OCR on the computer.

Oh, yes, I think I was using the Fujitsu ScanSnap Cloud service.  

Can I still do that?  Where do I find the way to re-set that up?

Also, I hear your caution against another cloud service.  I wish I knew how risky/safe it is to be on that.  It seems hard to measure the danger, but I liked the easier scanning piece.  It seemed much faster over all.  

I am interested in the other options mentioned.  I'll have to explore those also and see what works best for me.

• Level 5

You need to use the setup software that came with the scanner. You run it, and configure the computer scan, the mobile scan and the cloud scan, plus the WiFi connect (it is 2.4GHz only). You define what the scanner should use. You can use the respective apps on mobile as well for part of the setup.

It is flexible: If the main scanning partner is the computer, and the second the mobile app, it will scan to the mobile when the computer is off, but the mobile app open and connected to the same network.

My caution about the scanners cloud is that I have not checked about it’s security. I try to use only services I understand and trust. And I have no time to spend to understand every cloud service that is around. So I don’t use it, and I don’t need it.

It can be a good solution if you scan in one place, and the scans are needed in another place. For example a company, putting a scanner to a branch office, processing the scans in the HQ. But this is not my use case.

A bit of an unrelated question.  I have two Fujitsu scansnaps (S1500).  One of them I use at home and it sees very little action.  However, the one at work is used for thousands of copies.  Unfortunately, something has been happening to it such that it's become impossible to scan more than 5-8 pages at a time without it messing up.  We constantly have to stop our work flow because two or more pages are slipping into the scan process.  I have tried opening up the machine and cleaning the various components but this has not helped.  The machine is quite old and has been  marvelous in the past, but am wondering if maybe these things simply have a lifespan which draws to an end.  Does anyone have experience with having these fixed or refurbished so they work like new again?  Or should I move to the next generation of scansnaps

• Level 5

Maybe the grip of the rubber parts is degrading. Rubber ages and becomes more brittle.

Maybe cleaning them with an adequate cleaning agent could help for a while. You need to check, there are cleaning fluids that can damage rubber surfaces. To be sure, you can buy directly from Fujitsu. They offer some repair parts for the sheet feeder as well:

https://www.fujitsu.com/de/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/scansnap/discontinued/s1500/s1500.html#idconsumables

This is not only economical, it is a service for planet earth as well to maintain and repair over replace. For me Fujitsu offering these parts for end-of-Life scanners make them stand out from cheaper „throw away“ competitors.

D0BE3C50-A325-418D-A8A5-D34623C2E24F.thumb.jpeg.29913db93ca0d8b8a4d758f3f668f312.jpeg

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Did you install and use ScanSnap manager, or ScanSnap Home ?

I'm curious why you asked this question.  I purposely installed the ScanSnap Manager but I don't really know what the difference is.  Can you explain, or refer me to another place to get the full understanding of that?

Also, I installed the latest update that Fujitsu had available.  It seemed that I had to update for Evernote to still work.  But I don't seem to have the same options I used to have to set up.  I can't see any way to have available these items you mentioned:

On 10/27/2021 at 1:01 PM, PinkElephant said:

configure the computer scan, the mobile scan and the cloud scan

• Level 5

These are 2 different pieces of software, for the same job: Link the ScanSnap scanner to a computer, that will process the scans.

ScanSnap Home is probably the simpler solution, the Manager more complete, but more complex as well. Both will do the job. You say you just updated, so I was thinking it was the Manager, because it has just received an update this October.

To set up the mobile & cloud solution, get the respective app in the AppStore (ScanSnap, ScanSnap Cloud). Make sure the mobile phone and the scanner are in the same WiFi network. Then use the apps to set it up. They have a guided setup, not very difficult.

• Level 5

It does more, but it is a bit hidden: By creating scan profiles, you can select the setup for the scanner for each job.

Simplex/Duplex, color/b&w, resolution, OCR on/off, pdf/jpg and a number of other options. Among them is as well the destination, like scan to folder, to a file format like .doc or .xls or directly into EN.

The real power of ScanSnap Home is in the profiles ! I have 8 of them, tailored to my needs, and I pick what is best for the scanning job.