Request: Enable copy image to clipboard so you can paste it in other apps

Stacey Harmon

Idea

I often store screenshots in Evernote. And, I hate how v10 forces me to work with those images if I want to use them in other places (I have to download it then upload it to the other app). 

I want the ability to copy an image to the clipboard so I can paste it in other apps (it works in Legacy!). I definitely want to be able to paste images in my email client, but ideally, I want to be able to paste them in any app.

The current need to download/save the image to my computer then upload it to the app is VERY cumbersome. And, it doesn't honor the OS system preferences I have set up in my Mac (I have all items save to my Downloads folder...but the download of the image from Evernote doesn't honor that...it defaults to on my desktop and I forget to change it before hitting save – annoying!).

This would be a huge workflow improvement to v10. Hope to see it soon. 

• Like 6

19 replies to this idea

• Level 5

I agree with your proposal. 

Meanwhile there is a little workaround: Drag & Drop on to the desktop of your computer (in my case a Mac), and from there in a second step into the target app.

Works in and out of EN, at least with most apps. I like it better because it is more of a flow than the saving workflow with a lot of steps.

But still not the seamless d&d we were used to have.

• Thanks 1

This just happened to me today!  I had a screenshot stored in Evernote that needed to be emailed and placed in a document. Using v10, I had to move it to my downloads and then drag it to the new location.  It used to be so easy to just copy and paste an image in Legacy using all key commands.  Please bring back this feature in v10.

This different btw v10 and legacy was mentioned before.  In legacy, just drag & drop to any, saying any app very easy.  No matter email, whatsapp, filing, etc.  But v10, you can only drag/download it to desktop/download file first, and drag to other place you.  It downgraded the productivity.  

But EN never heard from users, specially old users.  They think that they are building up a NEW, POWERFUL program again, and it can absorb much new users and money.  The old users? Gone is gone, left must pay.  That is their business way, what I am feeling.

• Level 5

The framework used AFAIK „wraps“ the content into a sort of container - which is a link to the resource file. When copied directly, often only the container (it’s code) is pasted, because the target app can’t open it. The pasting on the desktop does that job instead, unwrapping the container and placing the content for further use.

A loss of efficiency ? Yes, of course, who would doubt it ?!

Bad will, invented to scare longtime users away ? Come on, you could as well say the lizards have taken over. It is simply an effect of employing this framework as platform for the new app. Nobody must like it, but as I see it, it was that or no EN any more, at least with some years perspective.

You simply have to make up your mind if the sum of usability (good and bad) keeps up all relevant use cases for yourself. If not, you can decide to move that use case to another solution, or skip using EN.

We should not forget that new options for our use cases have been added as well, so the balance is not simply pointing to the negative. Anybody can add his issues here, I just want to mention (beside tasks) the new possibilities with nested tags and tables on iOS (mobile) and the import folders new since 10.16 for the Mac. These are relevant additions with v10 for me - must not be for others.

As a user of evernote for years, I just finally updated the legacy app to the newest version for desktop and was EXTREMELY frustrated that I can no longer copy and paste pdfs or other documents inside of notes into other apps.  Hoping that there is a work around on this that is reasonable.  I tried the dragging to desktop that ROMELDEN suggested above, but am unable to do that either.  Very disappointed.

• Level 5

For me drop & drag to the desktop works (MacOS 11.6, EN 10.22).

If not, you should post a bit more about your system configuration.

Edit: Should be solved with 10.23 - in a short test I ran after updating on my Mac it worked 10/10, with different apps.

4 hours ago, justinmonson said:

As a user of evernote for years, I just finally updated the legacy app to the newest version for desktop and was EXTREMELY frustrated that I can no longer copy and paste pdfs or other documents inside of notes into other apps.  Hoping that there is a work around on this that is reasonable.  I tried the dragging to desktop that ROMELDEN suggested above, but am unable to do that either.  Very disappointed.

You're in luck, after one year of not working, this seems to be fixed for me in 10.23.7! This just started rolling out about an hour ago, so it may take a few days to reach you. (Or you can check for updates or manually download and install over your current version if you don't want to wait.) 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Paul A. said:

You're in luck, after one year of not working, this seems to be fixed for me in 10.23.7! This just started rolling out about an hour ago, so it may take a few days to reach you. (Or you can check for updates or manually download and install over your current version if you don't want to wait.) 

Works for me too! Best news of this update. Thanks Evernote!

• Like 2
11 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Although - sharing is announced, but don't work on my Mac. Support ticket is open.

Confirming here that doesn't work for me either. I'm concluding it is a bug and didn't report it. Viewing this release as more as a preview of what is to come with a patch/next release as very few things work for me as announced in the release notes. For example, the new suggested filters feature – I can see a brief flicker on screen of the suggested filters, but they don't stay/stick. It's a very buggy release. Except, the copy/paste of images functionality works so, I'm happy!

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Stacey said:

For example, the new suggested filters feature – I can see a brief flicker on screen of the suggested filters, but they don't stay/stick.

I've seen that for text searches but not if I do a search or filter for a tag for example.

2 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I've seen that for text searches but not if I do a search or filter for a tag for example.

Good tip, thanks. It does work better for filter and tag searches. Not so much for text searches (which is basically all I do from the search box). I will patiently wait for this feature to stabilize :)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Just tried on my Mac. I have no problem to copy a picture from a note, and insert it into another app, like Apple Pages.

When I select mixed content including a picture, the picture is replaced by a symbol on inserting. This is AFAIK connected to the containerized storage of picture in the note. It may not be convenient, but in strict terms it is no bug.

18 hours ago, ConfusedCupcake said:

Over 2 years and this is still a problem. Not only that, but when I contacted support it took them over a month to just tell me they couldn't replicate the problem and were going to close the ticket. 🤦‍♀️

Myself and several of my clients experience this issue when trying to copy text and images from an Evernote note into email. I recently reported it and got back that this is something that are working on. I certainly hope we see a resolution soon. 

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Stacey Harmon said:

I recently reported it and got back that this is something that are working on. I certainly hope we see a resolution soon. 

Wait, they are? When I contacted them they just told me they couldn't replicate the problem and were closing my ticket 🤔

Well, still good to hear that they are working on it.