Opening (and editing) Office files directly from Evernote client no longer possible?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

On work laptop I am running Evernote 10.22.3 win-winstore-public.  Unfortunately I don't have admin privileges on this laptop and the admin are unable to solve the problem for me.

When I attach a file to a note I expect to be able to then open the note from Evernote, read/edit etc. and then save/close - any edits should be preserved.  This is how it has always been and this still works on home laptop (although I use the legacy version.)

When I attempt to open files on this version I see an error message like attached.  The folder "...appdata\roaming\evernote..." doesn't even exist on this PC.

The workaround has been to download each file locally when I want to use or edit, then I need to update note with new version when I close the file.  This pretty much makes Evernote useless for me.  I am a teacher and have 10 years worth of lessons/resources stored in Evernote but I need to be able to read/edit/update and this is taking so much time and so many clicks. 

I cannot convince admin to allow me the legacy version, but if the answer is that that is the only solution, could somebody say so on this thread then I can go back and tell them!

Any help appreciated.

Capture.PNG

• Evernote Expert
9 minutes ago, redefender said:

When I attach a file to a note I expect to be able to then open the note from Evernote, read/edit etc. and then save/close - any edits should be preserved.  This is how it has always been and this still works on home laptop (although I use the legacy version.)

And this is how v10 of Evernote works for me.

I most typically work on attached PDFs and Word documents but everything seems to work just as well with a Powerpoint. This is what I do...

• Right click the attached document and choose Open. Document opens in the application associated in Windows settings.
  • I work on the document in the native program.
  • I then click Save.  I'm in the habit of saving first before closing as for awhile this was necessary to retain changes made.  I believe that this has been fixed in a recent update of the v10 application.
  • I save and the updated document is saved back into Evernote.

It works every time without fail.

So you shouldn't have any problems.

18 minutes ago, redefender said:

When I attempt to open files on this version I see an error message like attached.  The folder "...appdata\roaming\evernote..." doesn't even exist on this PC.

I find that unlikely.  This is the default installation path for Evernote data. Perhaps you have the Windows setting unchecked that reveals the directory. If you haven't done so, open Windows file explorer, choose the View tab and in the settings towards the right hand side of the ribbon be sure that Hidden files is checked.  If it isn't then that will explain why you cannot see the folder.

I see you are using the Windows Store version of Evernote. It should be identical as the download version from the Evernote website.  However, you might find it worthwhile switching to the download version rather than the Windows store version.  evernote.com/download/ I would uninstall the Windows store version first.

A standard solution to this type of issue is to uninstall and remove all the data and program directories that might be left over.  Then install afresh and allow Evernote to rebuild the data directories. Once you can see the hidden folders you should completely remove any remnants of ..\appdata\roaming\evernote AND ..\appdata\local\programs\evernote

Hidden files are visible. That folder definitely doesn't exist. I wonder if it's because the client was installed by another user (?)

Sadly unable to uninstall Windows store version and install download version. If this is the only workable solution then I will need to go back to admin and beg.

The heightened security here is due to a recent ransomware shutdown that crippled the organisation and they now oursource IT services so I thought I'd try to work it out myself.

• Solution

Windows Store can not do external edits because of virtual pathing (it's a Windows security thing).  You need to install the direct download version.  We are aware of this issue and looking into fixing several bugs related to external editing.

Windows Store uses the path C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Evernote.Evernote_q4d96b2w5wcc2\LocalCache\Roaming\Evernote instead of the regular path at C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Evernote.

Always remember to save and exit from the external editor before switching back to Evernote.  Try not to continue editing if Evernote is not running.  Also don't try to open a recent file from the File menu in your editor (even if Evernote is running).  We are looking into protecting from these use cases from any data loss.