UPDATE: APRIL 2022 - Filterize is NOT CLOSING DOWN

Brown bread from October 2022 😥

A real shame, was a fantastic solution and I still use it, probably not as much as I should. Certainly helped take some of the leg work out of tagging, etc.

Anything out there that can take its place or will Evernote naturally evolve and pick up some of Filterize's best features?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*

UPDATE: APRIL 2022 - Filterize is NOT CLOSING DOWN

On 9/30/2021 at 5:16 PM, athletico said:

Brown bread from October 2022 

?? Did I miss another memo?  I'm a current subscriber and heavy user, and I heard nothing about this yet - what'd you get - an email?  See a post somewhere?  Screenshot or URL please!

There's nothing else (AFAIK) to match the note-moving, tag-adding, title changing awesomeness of their features,  so they will be sadly missed.  Most expiring software companies make some sort of arrangement for their subscribers - will have to wait for details to see what's available.  Don't see Evernote stepping up.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
11 minutes ago, jaileer said:

Posting here in the holes that someone knows of an alternative. This was a brilliant service, I'm sad to see it go.

Agreed.  There are quite a few automation apps in the market.  Filterize did it all for me,  so I had no need to investigate in detail.  We'll have to get a list of options together and see what Evernote integrations are available.  

My opening bid for possible alternatives...

Actiondesk / API Fuse / Chronify / CloudHQ / Filterize / Huginn / IFTTT /  Integromat / LeadsBridge / Microsoft Flow / Piesync / Workato / Zapier

Plus these URLs...

https://automate.io/
https://www.cloudhq.net/g_suite
http://Elastic.io
https://exalate.com/
https://integrately.com/
https://www.integromat.com/en 
https://www.jotform.com/
https://n8n.io/
https://parabola.io/

EDIT:  And before the Mac crew remind me - scripting can do a lot in MacOS!

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Just pointing out that Evernote provides the API's that let the third parties do their thing

True,  but my comment was in reference to "will Evernote naturally evolve and pick up some of Filterize's best features?".  As you say,  they seem to prefer to allow others to develop services on top of the main app.

• Level 5

There is sadly a long history of 3rd party services that try to fill gaps or extend the reach of EN users and use cases - sadly because it seems they all drop out of business after trying and burning through their seed money. It seems there is not enough room to monetarize a service that adds value to the EN core functions.

This said, I would make it a precondition that a service must generate cash from different apps it is supporting, not only from EN users.

Since I never decided to use filterize, I have no problem to solve myself now.

• Level 5*
On 9/30/2021 at 3:10 PM, PinkElephant said:

Since I never decided to use filterize, I have no problem to solve myself now.

I won't be happy without a backdoor to augment features not supported by the front level software

I was impressed by the Filterize features, but wasn't a user;     
my alternative solution is scripting on a Mac with Applescript using Evernote Legacy (scripting is not supported by Evernote's v10 product)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, stocky2605 said:

Any tipps how to mitigate my "automation pain"...?

I use the Evernote Legacy product on a Mac   
My alternative to Filterize has been scripting (Applescript)

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, stocky2605 said:

Any tipps how to mitigate my "automation pain"...?

There's a lot of automation stuff around - see my list earlier. I haven't had chance to start to look at individual apps yet,  but if anyone has some suggestions or can rule anything out,  I'm definitely in the market too.  I have a lot emails going direct to my account,  plus random clips and an ongoing tidy-up that kind've rely on notes being tagged, retitled and redirected to the correct notebook as necessary.  Filterize is a fundamental part of my workflow!

As Filterize are shutting down,  maybe we could persuade Evernote that it's a useful service to buy into...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow, just stumbled onto this thread… I’ve been using Filterize for the past few months (paid), for 1 purpose: automatic updating of Table of Contents (ToC). While not perfect, it has generally been great at keeping ToCs for several notebooks updated as new notes are added.

If they are not around, the only alternative I’m aware of is constantly having to re- create ToC every so often when notes are added.

Would be great if EN enabled this functionality. If anyone has workarounds for this, please let me know!

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, pdadoc2 said:

the only alternative I’m aware of is constantly having to re- create ToC every so often when notes are added.

To be fair,  if you already have a ToC you should be able to drag and drop a new note into the correct spot in the list without much trouble (not sure what devices and what OS's that includes,  but desktops,  definitely...)

The only saving grace is that Filterize have given us a year's notice,  so you should be good to October 2022.  There'll be a few people anxiously looking into alternatives,  including me - so keep an eye on this thread!  And if you do see anything useful,  please post suggestions here too...

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  Circle of Life an' all that - I send a lot of Gmail direct to Evernote via Filterize so I have my contact history in a convenient and highly searchable place.

Today had a mail from Cloud HQ (which I also use for other nefarious purposes...) and they have a new browser extension* "Export Emails to Google Docs" which looks like it could take over automatic saving of mails.  Hmmn...<strokes imaginary cat>... interesting...

* edit: make that a "Gmail extension"

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow! I just found out about Filterize shutting down. I had no idea until I visited the website. I use it mainly to make TOCs, and I have not found another service that does that. Filterize is very useful and reduces workflow friction.  FWIW, concerning email workflows, I have been using SaneBox for years, and SaneBox does a great job automatically sending designated emails to Evernote.  If anyone finds a suitable Filterize alternative, please do share. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You find some URLs above.

In general I think it will be hard to find a 1:1 replacement for Filterize.

We have to keep in mind that Filterize was a prime Startup with seed money to spend, and support by the German state government where they were located. To me it seems they burned through their financing, and were not able to convert a good idea into a feasible business model. This is not the first similar endeavor failing. To me it seems hard to make money with services supporting EN users. Most users obviously are not interested in such a service, or at least not for a price.

• 1 month later...

Could filterize be back, maybe? They have removed that message that they are closing the service next year from their website. I emailed their support and their response was a bit cryptic. At this stage they cant confirm or deny the future of Filterize AFTER next year.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
17 minutes ago, Manya70 said:

Could filterize be back, maybe? They have removed that message that they are closing the service next year from their website. I emailed their support and their response was a bit cryptic. At this stage they cant confirm or deny the future of Filterize AFTER next year.

Sounds like a deal may be in the making somewhere...  I hope it's true;  I'd really have trouble replacing the app with anything like a comparable service!

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Well - a little good news for the present.  Filterize seems like it will continue with new investors - there's an announcement on their Facebook page,  nothing on the website (that I could find) yet....

• Like 6
  • 4 weeks later...

I just logged in to my filterize page (i wanted to create a table of contents for a notebook containing my board games). By chance i wandered over to the Payment tab. A few months ago i cancelled my yearly renewal because filterize was shutting down. now i see there isn't a yearly option, but the monthly option will be charged at 10 (unit missing) per month! I hope this is just some temporary place holder value, because 10 of any currency i'm in contact with daily per month is a bit more than i'd be willing to pay 😕

• Evernote Expert

In my browser the plans are Premium €10 per month and Business €15 per month.

I'd agree that seems a bit more than I'd pay but it might be something I'd commit too while I decided on my options.

The website also says (my emphasis):

You can test Filterize for 30 days with all its features for free. No credit card required. You can then upgrade to a paid plan, which will give you the full power of Filterize. Alternatively, we have a limited free plan.

It wasn't clear how to get the alterntive free plan or what that provides but worthwhile pursuing...

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  I'm being told "Your account will downgrade to free on 2022-01-30" (which is fair - I had an annual membership due then) - and - 

Free = Automatic Tag Hierarchy  (??) + 3 Note Filters (I currently have more...)

Subs show up as 10 USD or EUR which is around £8.50/ month - so around 3x the previous cost.  Ouch.

EDIT: as @agsteele suggested - I subscribed to consider my options over a little longer than the next 10 days...  Don't see any reference to Business in my dashboard though,  and there have been a slew of developments in the last two months to look through...

I'd never heard of Filterize before so took a look. I see a plus plan at €1.99 a month / €19.99 yr and premium at €3.99 / €39.99 yr.

Can IFFTTT or whatever it's called do the same?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Jon/t said:

I'd never heard of Filterize before so took a look. I see a plus plan at €1.99 a month / €19.99 yr and premium at €3.99 / €39.99 yr.

Weird that there are so many different numbers flying around.  Those (I think) are old news.  Check here for more:  at least I found Business now...

https://filterize.net/plans-pricing/

57 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Weird that there are so many different numbers flying around.  Those (I think) are old news.  Check here for more:  at least I found Business now...

https://filterize.net/plans-pricing/

That's really odd. Just loaded it up again and see €10 and €15 for premium and business.

Maybe a whole load of A/B testing going on to figure out the best price points?

Found all my prices from the bottom of their home page.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Maybe some old page was cached somewhere.

Must not be on the own device, there are caches in the internet as well. Usually they get it early when a page changes, but there may be lapses.

Filterize was close to shutting down, and got revived. Maybe they checked their numbers and decided they need to up the price to make it to break even.

Just checked, I am still on the $4.99/mo Premium plan that I activated a couple of months ago to prevent my free account from closing. The payments screen implies that I can switch to Free, or remain on Premium with a price of 12/mo (USD, presumably). It also says "Next capture Tue 22. Mar 2022" so stay tuned...

• Like 1
  • Shane D. changed the title to UPDATE: APRIL 2022 - Filterize is NOT CLOSING DOWN
  • Shane D. pinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

The free plan is discontinued (it is still available but contain 0 filters and so it is useless)

So the initial title is correct: filterize is effectively shut down.

Been using evernote free for years... Not going to spend 10 per month for an add on for a service that is itself free.

• Level 5

At EN on the Free Plan you live from the contributions of your fellow users.

It just seems for Filterize the figures did not match to continue this game. They got seed money as a startup - so again burning other peoples money for a free offer.

But of course you can decide to continue to believe in Santa Claus.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, amirtal said:

So the initial title is correct: filterize is effectively shut down.

Having trouble with the logic here - their services aren't free,  so they no longer exist?  You may not find a value in having your scanned or forwarded notes tagged,  titled and sorted into notebooks,  but I do...

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

...And to follow up on my previous comment,  I just noticed that the website still claims - 

You can test Filterize for 30 days with all its features for free. No credit card required. You can then upgrade to a paid plan, which will give you the full power of Filterize. Alternatively, we have a limited free plan.

...so I wonder if the fact that you saw no filters just means you didn't create any... 

• 3 months later...

I tried to use Make with Evernote, but couldn't make sense of it to create automations for my Evernote. Is there a tutorial out there? I would have liked to support Filterize, but at $10 a month it's the same price as Evernote. Half of that $4-5 I would consider.

The Filterize devs definitely deserve kudos for their effort in closing the gap and making Evernote more powerful, I just wish more people would use it to keep the costs down for everyone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  Thanks for that.  I see that Make (allegedly) can monitor an app and trigger actions based on various tests.  Evernote is in the list,  but you have to question whether this is Evernote Legacy or v10,  and to what extent Make is able to influence (forinstance) the movement of notes,  or the creation of Notebooks.

On a quick look it seems interesting,  but I don't know whether it can work with the new Evernote version.  Have you contacted Make Support?  Seems like they'd be the people to ask for more on this...

1875625573_Make2022-11-02173737.png.996cef3cf77c2cad1437291077b981bc.png (and no,  I don't know why some items have 'ACID' as a tag...)

• 1 year later...

Filterize has decided to throw the towel and stops all operations on december 31st. They state difficulties with the API.

Filterize: End of Life

Dear Filterize users,

We regret to inform you that Filterize will be shutting down on December 31st, 2023. We understand that this is disappointing news, and we apologise for the short notice and any inconvenience.

We've made the difficult decision to shut down Filterize after long consideration. Mounting technical challenges in the Evernote integration make keeping Filterize alive an impossibility at this point.

All subscriptions will be terminated on December 1st. Regardless of when your renewal would have been due in December, you will be able to keep using Filterize for the remainder of the month.

We want to thank all of you for your support over the years. We loved seeing how you pushed Filterize to the limit to improve your productivity and stay organised.

• Level 5*

On this occasion it doesn't look like a rescue is on the cards.  Fabian Richardt from Filterize confirmed to me a couple of days ago that the sync & code changes introduced by Evernote are messing with their system,  and it doesn't look like they can continue to offer even a limited service. 

He did say that if there was enough user interest, they might consider open-sourcing parts of their code,  though that would only be helpful for technically skilled users.  An individual service would need to deal with authentication (via Evernote dev support) and running a local personal server.

Fabian didn't seem hopeful that the API issue would or could be solved however and has apparently been told by dev support that the current API won't be updated. 

Whether or not that implies there will be a new one I don't know

I've already had a confirmation that my monthly subscription has been cancelled and that the service will close on 31 December.

I've been looking at how automation systems might be helpful with Evernote -- basically these act like text expanders;  with Evernote open on your system they can run through a sequence of searches and keystrokes that could potentially carry out a repeated search and replace operation,  or move notes to different notebooks / apply or remove tags / maintain ToCs much like Filterize does.  (Though much less conveniently or accessibly).

Power Automate in Windows seems like a possible candidate - and by using ChatGPT to help me write the code I have covered some simple operations.  I guess this might be the incentive to do something more about it!

If anyone has a better idea,  please join the discussion;  If you have used Filterize,  please list your processes briefly here - whether moving / tagging / dating / indexing / etc.

Don't know whether @Federico Simionato could take a look here and consider whether Filterize's processes might be added into Evernote's future features - there's already some overlap.  Once they have time maybe a little automation could follow...

If you're a Filterize user and you'll miss the service (which seemed to save me a few hours general admin time each month) please let Evernote know!  It is/ was a good service and I am very grateful to the Filterize team for providing some valuable help along the way.

• Thanks 6
On 12/1/2023 at 4:14 PM, gazumped said:

Don't know whether @Federico Simionato could take a look here and consider whether Filterize's processes might be added into Evernote's future features - there's already some overlap.  Once they have time maybe a little automation could follow...

This would be fantastic!

---

Thanks to the Filterize team for sticking at it for this long!

• Like 2

if there was enough user interest, they might consider open-sourcing parts of their code,

Very good idea - but only if someone takes it to offer services similar to Filterize. Most of "normal" users cannot deal with code...

Fabian didn't seem hopeful that the API issue would or could be solved however and has apparently been told by dev support that the current API won't be updated. 

OK, if the current API will not be updated, a new one should arise. But this will take a very long time, so EN should re-think their decision and repair and enhance the current API slightly. It's used by some other service providers also (but seldom as extensive as Filterize).

Filterize  relied completely only on Evernote - others (like Make i.e.) have some other areas to make money. There is a risk (to their users) that they will simply drop links to EN. This can't be in EN's interrest...

I've been looking at how automation systems might be helpful with Evernote

Same here. Made some tests with Make (and it works!) - but Make does not offer all possibilites that EN covers with it's API (i.e. setting reminder dates). Moreover it will be difficult to re-create my beloved TOCs from Filterize...

How do you access Evernote from Microsoft Power Automate to get new notes? I haven't found any possibility to do so ☹

If you have used Filterize,  please list your processes briefly here

Features/tasks I use
  • Title adjustments after importing many notes from foreign sources (scans, bills, bank statements, ...)
  • Forward reminder dates after simply tagging some notes with a self-defined forwarding-tag
  • Other workflow actions: set done-, waiting- and other tags according to other tag conditions or content keywords
  • Simple TOCs of ToDos starting with notes coming periodically from Make (or IFTTT or ...)
  • Advanced TOCs of specifically tagged notes (i.e. for paper trays of very important notes 😉)
  • Mail-In to specific notebooks (with better formatted intro than direct mail-in to EN
Feature I would like:
  • Set reminder dates to specific dates (currently I can set only offsets like "in two days")
  • Better handling of EN usage limitations (operations per time, wait for open RTE rooms, ...)
  • Better filter syntax (currently filters are to be defined as "Do that if this" - "If this do that" would be easier to understand 😉)
  • User interface enhancements (the current one is uncommon and somtimes buggy)

If you're a Filterize user and you'll miss the service, ... please let Evernote know!

Hey @Federico Simionato,
we're so far satisfied Filterize users (and I think all of us are EN "power" users with a lot of experience). We'll miss the service and would appreciate a lot to get some automation possibilities inside EN to replace it's functionality.

Or (better?): please help API "power" users (like Filterize, it's successors, Make or other service providers) to get their connectors running and enhanced. 🙏

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
44 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

How do you access Evernote from Microsoft Power Automate to get new notes? I haven't found any possibility to do so

I generally just have Evernote open and switch focus to that window,  but since I'm pretty rubbish at coding these days (too many distractions) I asked ChatGPT originally to write some code that worked for one purpose,  and I just tried Bing for reminders...

To automate Evernote with Power Automate and set a reminder date using keyboard shortcuts, you can use the Send keys action in Power Automate Desktop. Below is a brief example of how you might set up such a flow:

1. Use the 'Focus window' action to activate the Evernote window.
2. If necessary, use UI automation actions like 'Click UI element in window' to navigate to the correct place in Evernote.
3. Use the 'Send keys' action to send the keyboard shortcuts for setting a reminder date.
   For example, if the shortcut to open the reminder dialog is Ctrl + R, you would use:
   {Control}(R)
4. Use additional 'Send keys' actions to input the reminder date and confirm the reminder.
   For example, to enter a date and press Enter, you might use:
   {2023-12-03}{Enter}

Please note that the actual keyboard shortcuts and steps may vary based on your version of Evernote and the specific actions you want to automate. You’ll need to replace the placeholders with the actual shortcuts and steps relevant to your use case.

Remember to always test your automation flows in a controlled environment before using them in production to ensure they work as expected. If you need more detailed guidance, you can refer to the official Power Automate documentation on automating applications using keyboard shortcuts and customizing keyboard shortcuts in Evernote. Additionally, for setting reminders based on dates, you might find useful information in the Power Platform Community discussions on setting reminders and sending reminders before a due date.

(Don't know how it's dealt with in other apps,  but in PA,  it seems like every variable you might want to interact with has it's own unique ID so you can jump PA to the correct place,  then add your data.)

- I was looking forward to playing more over the holidays.  (And the eating and drinking bits too...)

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

I generally just have Evernote open and switch focus to that window
 - and - 
To automate Evernote ... you can use the Send keys action in PA Desktop.

There are general problems of automation tools that try to interact with an App UI:

• they can be used only if both programs (tool and your app) are active
  • they work only on one operation system
  • they may go corrupt if the app's UI changes for any reason (language, button placement, button names)

The only good reasons to use such tools are

• App does not offer an API (but EN does!)
  • Tool is used to test an API interface (i.e. for regression tests - hope EN uses such tools internally)

In case of automating an EN app, I will not use a UI-based approach (like AutoHotkey or PA with no EN-API-access).

Tools like Filterize or Make use the server-based API of EN. So they

• they work in the (far away) background (on Filterize's or Make's servers even if you are not logged in to your desktrop)
  • they work independantly from your operation systen (you may modify your notes on MAC, Windows, Android or elsewhere to fire automation tasks)
  • they work independantly from EN's UI (which might change with every update)
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

I was looking forward to playing more over the holidays.  (And the eating and drinking bits too...)

Eating and drinking are a good ideas. But playing with Power Automate might be wasted time (I think). 😉

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Sorry to hear about Filterize shutting down. I use it for renaming and moving notes i send via email all the time.

I've also go some experience with Make and have written a couple of integrations that call the APIs of apps not natively supported by Make, such as Motion. I suspect some of the issues that have caused the Filterize people to decide it's not worth bothering anymore will raise their heads; there seems to be issues around having a note open on one device and the time taken for it to be "released" for editing on another. But Make has error handling to a degree and can work around these.

I'm going to have a play and see if I can recreate some of filterize's features.

Cheers

Stuart

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

There's a (fairly reliable) rumour that Evernote is looking for suggestions for "Quality of Life" features that might be added in future - QoL meaning 'what makes using Evernote easier' - which IMHO is exactly what Filterize did.  So I asked my friend Bard AI to list out all its features.  Not sure about some of the list - I know I didn't use much of Filterize,  but some of this is brand new to me.  I've sent this to Evernote and you can read the 3 pages from Bard in the attachment.  I'd invite anyone else interested to pile in!

I understand you're looking for feedback on 'quality of life' issues. My Evernote QoL had a sharp drop this year because an app integration called 'Filterize' has stopped trading.

Filterize made use of Evernote's API to process new or changed notes through their server and add additional automation features that enhanced Evernote's performance. Unfortunately they're closing down as of Q4 2023 because (they say) changes to the API prevent them from continuing to operate.

I used Filterize in two main areas:

• to maintain and constantly update ToC notes based on filters like "tasks due in next 7 days"
  • to sort new notes dropped into my default notebook based on keywords; to tag them appropriately, and move them into their correct notebook

...but there was a great deal more as listed (by Bard AI) in the attachment (3pp).

Some of this content appears to overlap with Evernote features, which may be down to Bard hallucination. I never really got into the full range.

Filterize have said they were considering open-sourcing their processes and I'm following that route too, but any ways to automate Evernote's features will improve my QoL - the service regularly saved me hours of individual tagging and sorting of new notes each month.

You can see the Bard stuff here - https://sway.office.com/JeZRHqmqMjLq36SD?ref=Link

EDIT:  Apologies if the Sway content looks weird - let me know if its unusable;  I drafted that in Google Docs,  exported to DOCX,  from there to PDF... then found out I couldn't add either here.  Tried to convert to images,  only option I could see was to export to Sway which then "redesigned" my simple document.  I'm too old for this stuff.  And in 'holiday' mode...   :unsure:

• Like 1
On 12/29/2023 at 7:00 AM, gazumped said:

There's a (fairly reliable) rumour that Evernote is looking for suggestions for "Quality of Life" features that might be added in future - QoL meaning 'what makes using Evernote easier' - which IMHO is exactly what Filterize did.  So I asked my friend Bard AI to list out all its features.  Not sure about some of the list - I know I didn't use much of Filterize,  but some of this is brand new to me.  I've sent this to Evernote and you can read the 3 pages from Bard in the attachment.  I'd invite anyone else interested to pile in!

You can see the Bard stuff here - https://sway.office.com/JeZRHqmqMjLq36SD?ref=Link

EDIT:  Apologies if the Sway content looks weird - let me know if its unusable;  I drafted that in Google Docs,  exported to DOCX,  from there to PDF... then found out I couldn't add either here.  Tried to convert to images,  only option I could see was to export to Sway which then "redesigned" my simple document.  I'm too old for this stuff.  And in 'holiday' mode...   :unsure:

The number one quality of life issue for me is bugs, most importantly the many problems of the note editor, and the stale search results.

Lack of regression testing (i.e. ensuring that one bug fix doesn't trigger another bug) is another biggie. Anytime a longstanding bug is fixed, it is a disruption to the users' workflow. The user has to re-train themselves to stop doing the (typically annoying and time-consuming) bug work-around. That re-training process is only worth it when the bug fix doesn't introduce new bugs or re-activate old bugs, which in turn require users to learn or re-learn whatever the workaround is for the new/re-activated bug. Often this work-around requires many painful hours of re-visiting old notes to apply the work-around so that the notes are usable in the new, post-fix environment.

• Like 2