Inline Images

Okonomiyaki

Idea

There was a time when images in Evernote were inline with the text. Now images start on a new line. If you have text with small images that are part of the paragraph, it would be nice to once again have these images inline with the text. This way you're not breaking up a paragraph over a tiny image.

13 replies to this idea

Oh no's, looks like I've angered the Evernote zealots!  Do you guys even work for Evernote?  If not, I'll kindly post WHAT I want WHERE I want to, since I am a paying customer. You know when a product is REALLY good?  When you have randoms posting tens of thousands of messages on product forums constantly arguing with users about why their complaints are invalid. Incredible gaslighting going on here. Sweet public defender gig, hope you're getting some royalties! 

And the fact that this application cannot inline an image in 2022 is insanely ridiculous.

It's also ridiculous that an image seemingly requires a new line:

image.png.b4c5d024a946360dd37d4217032fc6af.png

• Level 5

From the basic design of EN notes I think it treats images as a container, holding the image.

Text is plain text, wrapped in HTML style code.

Both are placed in a pretty linear way, not in intermingled blocks like content management systems would probably do.

Result: Images take up their own space, text displays above or below it.

If you want to place image and text on the same visual level in a note, insert a table. You can then mix images and text, by putting images in one cell and text into another on the same row you can place it side by side.

I don’t remember EN had the ability to freely place image and text mixed up in former versions, but maybe I am wrong.

On 10/8/2021 at 8:15 AM, PinkElephant said:

I don’t remember EN had the ability to freely place image and text mixed up in former versions, but maybe I am wrong.

There was definitely a time when this was how it worked. I have one note in particular where I had many small images, the size of a capital letter, and they fit nicely. Now I have many paragraph breaks throughout the whole document.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Adding pictures in a smaller size is very simple: Put a table into the note, put the pictures into the table cells. You can now control the visual size of the pictures by changing the column width of the table. The good about this method: The picture files remain unchanged, no loss of quality.

This is absurd.  Inline images have been part of the HTML spec for DECADES.  

A table workaround doesn't even suffice, because it appears images REQUIRE a newline below the image.  Hello, what?

Time for my once-per-year internet search, to see if there's a better Evernote competitor out there, that I can give my money to!  So sick of running into issues with basic features, with this product.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Matt Hartzell said:

A table workaround doesn't even suffice, because it appears images REQUIRE a newline below the image.

I'm routinely using tables to format images and text.  Maybe if you give us more details of your device and Evernote version we'd understand the issue better?

- And - please don't post twice on what appears to be the same issue... 

• Level 5
10 hours ago, Matt Hartzell said:

This is absurd.  Inline images have been part of the HTML spec for DECADES.  

You may think what you want - absurdities are then probably part of daily life for you. EN build an editor to enable quick, efficient note taking - not to build web sites with full HTML editing capabilities. Who wants HTML editing, who needs HTML editing should use a program that is build to enable HTML editing. No need to quote the "good old times", there is a whole thread about it.

You got advise to use a table to group and resize pictures - this is nothing absurd, it is hands on and down to earth. From user2user, with love.

Don't like it ? To get in contact with EN about this, you can issue a support ticket.

• Level 5

You know what - to anger me it takes more than a fellow forum user so much in search of the TRUTH that he forgets about his manners. You started using "strong" wording right away, and you continue to do so.

Now you are adding calling other users names and start spreading conspiracy theories of other being corrupt in their postings.

Please read the code of conduct (in "More", "Community resources") and return to an accepted behavior at this place. Or move yourself elsewhere where your special way of posting your opinion about issues and other users is tolerated.

9 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You know what - to anger me it takes more than a fellow forum user so much in search of the TRUTH that he forgets about his manners. You started using "strong" wording right away, and you continue to do so.

Now you are adding calling other users names and start spreading conspiracy theories of other being corrupt in their postings.

Please read the code of conduct (in "More", "Community resources") and return to an accepted behavior at this place. Or move yourself elsewhere where your special way of posting your opinion about issues and other users is tolerated.

I did use strong wording right away - ABOUT A SOFTWARE PRODUCT.  YOUR response was to immediately insult me, as a PERSON: 

6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You may think what you want - absurdities are then probably part of daily life for you.

So please kindly do not lecture me about manners. I insulted NO ONE in my original posts, but expressed frustration about a PRODUCT.  Those are two very different things.

• Level 5*

Has anyone actually got an addressable issue here?  The OP had a problem with images not being on the same line as any accompanying text.  I don't get that - if you use a table to set up two or more columns in a note,  text in one column is matched with the top of an image in the next.

It's unfortunate if the bottom of that image requires a blank line - maybe that's to allow captions or something - but that's how things work currently.  If you'd like something different and can explain why Evernote should even commit the resources to find out whether that's possible,  by all means add a feature request.

Meantime you can use Evernote as is,  find a work-around you can live with,  or go somewhere else.  Dealer's choice.

Any further bids on this topic? 

• Level 5

The „extra“ line is simply the text element that is there to type something (remember, it is still a note taking app, not a picture gallery). The picture is packed into a container holding it, and that’s an element in its own right. In the table cell (which is a HTML structure itself) are two elements: The picture container and a text dummy, ready to type something.

Before the picture was placed, the text element was already there, so it is pushed down by the picture container, but not erased. If you look at it through the developer tools, you see how it works in the background.

Probably they could „fix“ this, although it is not a bug.

To contact EN use the feedback function or a support ticket.

• Level 5*

...and as ever;  to correct a perceived lack in Evernote,  just use an external layout app* to create a grid of images,  then copy and paste the layout into the note.

* Depending on exactly what you're trying to achieve,  this could be a spreadsheet,  a word processor,  a slideshow editor,  Lightroom,  Photoshop...