Saved Searches and Filtered Notes

Hi, I have a scenario in which I'd like to show all notebooks except my journal on the dashboard in a filtered notes widget. In the second filtered notes widget I'd like to show just my journal notebook. Is there a way to accomplish this? I am not finding a way to do this using either the search or the filtered notes widget. I even tried using tags as a filter instead but  doesn't appear I can doe this because if I select multiple tags the search considers all of those to be 'and' based rather than 'or' based. What am I missing? The search/filter options have to be more powerful than this?

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, JeanineS said:

I'd like to show all notebooks except my journal on the dashboard in a filtered notes widget. In the second filtered notes widget I'd like to show just my journal notebook.

Are you trying to list just the notebooks?  Or all the notes they contain?

I don't think it's possible to show notebooks,  though a simple search should list all your notes,  and if you apply a tag to all the notes in your Journal notebook,  you can exclude them from one search,  and search specifically for them in the other.  You'll need to be a subscriber to personalise the home page though,  and a Professional user to have two filter widgets.

12 hours ago, JeanineS said:

Hi, I have a scenario in which I'd like to show all notebooks except my journal on the dashboard in a filtered notes widget. In the second filtered notes widget I'd like to show just my journal notebook. Is there a way to accomplish this? I am not finding a way to do this using either the search or the filtered notes widget. I even tried using tags as a filter instead but  doesn't appear I can doe this because if I select multiple tags the search considers all of those to be 'and' based rather than 'or' based. What am I missing? The search/filter options have to be more powerful than this?

As @gazumped says you cannot search for notebooks using the search facility, only notes. There is a very basic search facility within the notebooks pop-out screen but it wouldn't meet your needs.

You can however search for the notes in those notebooks. Obviously it is simple to filter for the notes within your journal notebook. To find all the notes that are not in the journal notebook you can simply negate the search 

-notebook:journal

If your notebook name contains spaces you should enclose it in double quotation marks.  If you then save the search you can add it to the filters widget.

There is some debate about whether you are supposed to be able to negate a notebook search. However, the advanced search documentation is hopelessly out of date and it works!