(Archived) Question on Notebooks and To Do List

Hi all! I am new to Evernote and so far (just started tonight!) I am liking it! Couple of quick questions, if you would not mind helping a newbie out:

1) There is one notebook, called cassbh's notebook that I do not remember creating. Could that be that Evernote created it automatically? (CassBH is my user name/log on name)? If not, can I delete it with no issues?

2) Can you have an unlimited amount of Notebooks and if so, how do you all use them? Do you have separate notebooks for absolutely everything or do you have a notebook for just major topics (like personal, work, etc)?

3) I need to construct a general To Do list and be able to prioritize it like "ASAP", "Soon", "whenever". What do you think would be the most efficient way to do this in Evernote?

Thanks so much for your help and I am looking forward to being part of the Evernote family!

Cat

• Level 5
CatB

1) There is one notebook, called cassbh's notebook that I do not remember creating. Could that be that Evernote created it automatically? (CassBH is my user name/log on name)? If not, can I delete it with no issues?

There should be a grey arrow to the left of cassbh's notebook. That indicates the notebook is your default notebook where new notes are stored.

I'd recommend you stick with this for the time being until you get some experience on how the program works. This forum is a great spot to find out the details. Be sure to post your questions in the appropriate forum - Windows, Apple, Web, Mobile.

2) Can you have an unlimited amount of Notebooks and if so, how do you all use them? Do you have separate notebooks for absolutely everything or do you have a notebook for just major topics (like personal, work, etc)?

There are 100 notebooks. Try to limit them to high-level general functions (work, home, hobbies, news) and try to avoid specific notebooks (My Car, Christmas, Uncle Fred)

Learn to use the power of Tags and Search instead.

3) I need to construct a general To Do list and be able to prioritize it like "ASAP", "Soon", "whenever". What do you think would be the most efficient way to do this in Evernote?

I'd hold off until you are familiar with the basics. Why? Look at this site to see why

http://ruudhein.com/evernote-gtd

Checkboxes for tasks, Unfinished to-do items would be a good place to start.

• Level 5
Look at this site to see why

after reading that article, I am completely and utterly beyond confused! I am assuming he is trying to walk someone through using EN as an on-going To Do list but I was completely lost :)

Yeah, it probably wasn't fair for me to add that. I've been using Evernote for a couple years and have 8,000 notes and that site confuses me as well, so don't feel bad.

Just take it one step at a time. Use the search feature in the forum. Ask questions when you are stumped. There is a lot of good folks to give you a hand.

Look at this site to see why

after reading that article, I am completely and utterly beyond confused! I am assuming he is trying to walk someone through using EN as an on-going To Do list but I was completely lost :)

Yeah, it probably wasn't fair for me to add that. I've been using Evernote for a couple years and have 8,000 notes and that site confuses me as well, so don't feel bad.

Just take it one step at a time. Use the search feature in the forum. Ask questions when you are stumped. There is a lot of good folks to give you a hand.

Thanks for not making me feel like a moron :) Much appreciated.

Right now, I am just trying to find the darn clipper icon in my Internet Explorer. Isn't that supposed to be automatically installed when you download EN to your computer?

Check in IE for: Tools > Add to Evernote

Ok, that works in clipping the whole page. What about if you want to choose specific text?

Also, they say that this clipping feature can be almost a substitute for "Adding to Favorites" in IE when you find a web site you like, but it seems that all it does it copy the web page. Am I missing something or is it possible to navigate to an actual web site via saved clipped info in EN?

• Level 5

Ok, that works in clipping the whole page. What about if you want to choose specific text?

Also, they say that this clipping feature can be almost a substitute for "Adding to Favorites" in IE when you find a web site you like, but it seems that all it does it copy the web page. Am I missing something or is it possible to navigate to an actual web site via saved clipped info in EN?

#1.) I don't use IE, but I believe all you have to do is select the text you want by dragging across it, then hit the clipper and the highlighted text will be imported.

#2.) For Windows. after clipping a website, press F8 to toggle the note information on. In the actual note, below the title and above the note itself is an area with note information (Created, Click to set author, Click to set location, Note HIistory). There is a linkable URL location. Just click it and you will open up a window with that site.

By the way, you will find you get better answers when you limit your topic. In other words, for a new question on a new subject, start with a new posting.

#1.) I don't use IE, but I believe all you have to do is select the text you want by dragging across it, then hit the clipper and the highlighted text will be imported.

#2.) For Windows. after clipping a website, press F8 to toggle the note information on. In the actual note, below the title and above the note itself is an area with note information (Created, Click to set author, Click to set location, Note HIistory). There is a linkable URL location. Just click it and you will open up a window with that site.

By the way, you will find you get better answers when you limit your topic. In other words, for a new question on a new subject, start with a new posting.

Thanks so much ...I appreciate the prompt reply and will certainly take your advice about the posting. I guess I am just a bit frustrated as I love this program but was hoping that their few tutorials that I have seen thus far would have much more specific advice on "how to" do certain things. Unless I missed something, there does not seem to be a detailed "User Guide" on how to use EN in detail.

Thank you again :)

• Level 5

There is the PDF help file available from the help link on evernote.com. There is also a much more detailed API that really gets into the technical nitty gritty.

In the Evernote trunk icon (at the top of the screen) you can download an e-book on Evernote. There is a charge for it.

If you listen to podcasts, you can download Evernote's monthly podcast.

Evernote has a blog which offers helpful information, but the marketing guy who runs it does not respond to questions or suggestions.

http://blog.evernote.com/

The best source is reading the feedback from the tech people here on the forum. You will unearth a lot of gems, especially if you use the search field.

There is the PDF help file available from the help link on evernote.com. There is also a much more detailed API that really gets into the technical nitty gritty.

In the Evernote trunk icon (at the top of the screen) you can download an e-book on Evernote. There is a charge for it.

If you listen to podcasts, you can download Evernote's monthly podcast.

Evernote has a blog which offers helpful information, but the marketing guy who runs it does not respond to questions or suggestions.

http://blog.evernote.com/

The best source is reading the feedback from the tech people here on the forum. You will unearth a lot of gems, especially if you use the search field.

This is all very helpful, thank you. Do you happen to know if the e-book is worthwhile enough for purchase? Don't mind spending the money if it is justified.

• Level 5

Some people say it is helpful and might chime in. The author won't like my comment, but $25 for an 80 page e-book is a bit steep. I'll stick with the Forum as the best source for a variety of views and tips.

Some people say it is helpful and might chime in. The author won't like my comment, but $25 for an 80 page e-book is a bit steep. I'll stick with the Forum as the best source for a variety of views and tips.

Makes sense...thanks again for all the help and replies. I have already made some good notebooks and am really seeing the value of this program.

Now, off to do a "search" to see if anyone has found how to create a good To Do list in EN!

Archived