Type and draw in the same note

Thepeel89

Idea

I recently got an iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil and I've been comparing using Evernote and Apple Notes. There's one particular thing that I noticed in Apple Notes which I loved is that you can type with the keyboard and draw with the pencil in the same note. It's also something you can do in Microsoft's OneNote (and it works even better), but you can't do this in Evernote. You have to select ''draw'' instead of ''Create new note'' if you want to use the pencil. 

Of course you can use the scribble feature in a regular note and write text with the pencil, which will be converted to typed text (if it recognizes it properly) but that is not the same. I really wish we could add drawings to our typed notes, that would be amazing!

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Open a not, be in edit mode, have the cursor where you want the drawing.

Now tap on the blue +. From the menu, choose Sketch. If it doesn’t show, you may have to move the menu a little up. 

A canvas opens where you can draw. There are options for you to explore. The canvas is without borders, you can zoom in and out.

Closing the Sketch window returns you to the note, where the drawing will show embedded.

DB0B53B3-B17D-4A58-BC8B-D4FF274E24CC.thumb.jpeg.fcf9a46dd4c9ee62ff07e3dae701c916.jpeg

I did not know this, thanks! But what I’m talking about is seamless drawing anywhere on a typed note, like I’m typing something, then I pull out the pencil, draw something quickly next to the text or between lines or whatever, and go back to typing. This method is at least something but it just inserts an image of your drawing, it’s alright but not as seamless.

• Level 5*
On 9/30/2021 at 1:59 PM, Thepeel89 said:

There's one particular thing that I noticed in Apple Notes which I loved is that you can type with the keyboard and draw with the pencil in the same note. It's also something you can do in Microsoft's OneNote (and it works even better), but you can't do this in Evernote.

I also like the seamless combination of drawing and typing    
However it requires a proprietary base format.    
I store these documents in Evernote as note attachment files

Evernote uses a simple text based format .enml (basically html)   
I like working with this format; it provides much flexibility for use in external applications