Personal vs. Premium account

I am a long-time Evernote user and have had a Premium account for several years. Now they're telling me via pop-ups and daily emails that it's my "last chance" to sign up for a "Personal" account (which sounds exactly like what I already have) at a 40% discount. I just renewed my Premium account in August. Why on earth would I pay again a month later? There's been no email notifying me of any changes to my account, no explanations. Just non-stop ads. And I can't figure out how to contact them directly to ask about this. If you go through the process to open a support ticket, there's no category that aligns with plain old billing questions (it just tells me to go to PayPal 🙄).

Anyone else having this issue?

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
48 minutes ago, winegirlnc said:

Personal vs. Premium account ... sign up for a "Personal" account (which sounds exactly like what I already have)

Access your account settings to verify the account level you're subscribed to    
Full Premium accounts were automatically upgraded to Personal accounts in July

For plan details, see https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005157-Compare-Evernote-subscription-plans

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Access your account settings to verify the account level you're subscribed to    
Full Premium accounts were automatically upgraded to Personal accounts in July

For plan details, see https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005157-Compare-Evernote-subscription-plans

Thanks, but I never got a notification of an upgrade, and why do they keep telling me It's my last chance to get 40% off? 

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

There were actual two types of Premium subscriber before the subscriber tariffs were updated.  A lot of long time Premium users had been locked into an old tarrif. Others were paying the standard advertised rate.  Thyose paying the full rate were automatically transferred to the new Personal rate which is Premium plus a few extras (tasks and calendar).  Those on the reduced rate Premium have been allowed to keep the exact same package as they have been on until now but there is an option of a special rate upgrade to the new Personal plan.

If you don't need or want the Tasks and Calendar functions then you will probably want to stick with the reduced-rate Premium package.  However it will never receive any additional benefits etc.  In return you get the good price you previously had.  So the offer is being renewed for you in the hope you'll move to the new plans.

If you don't want to upgrade but don't want the pestering reminders either then I'm told that you should initially accept the offer but before completing the process cancel.  This, apparently, fools the automated reminders and you should stop getting pestered but you'll also lose the pathway to the discounted upgrade to Personal.

If you check your account settings and find that you are already on Personal then this is the offer to upgrade to Professional at a special price.  The same advice if you don't want the additional benefits.

• Like 5

I have been struggling to upgrade from Evernote Premium, which I subscribed through iTunes. I can see the options to upgrade to Personal plan but I cannot do. My subscription is paid till April 22, and I have canceled it (thinking that I can get to the new plan) but I am not able to do anything. 

The boolean search is critical for me as I have more than 4000 notes and rely on this. A very bad experience for someone who has been a user since 2008. See the attached screenshot. 

Screenshot 2021-10-03 at 1.47.49 AM.png

• Level 5

You can’t upgrade when your subscription is set to „canceled“. Since you run it through iTunes I am not sure support can do a thing about it, but as @agsteele suggested it is worth a try.

Worst case is you let it expire, and subscribe fresh then.

Boolean search: Typing into the search field

cat dog 

is equal to cat AND dog 

any: cat dog 

is equal to cat OR dog

cat -dog

Is equal to cat NOT dog

This work on all accounts, even the free one. It can be combined with filters, for notebooks, tags, contains, dates.

I can perfectly search without that Boolean feature.

Are you sure that 

cat dog

is the same as cat AND dog? When I try searching for two terms, it does indeed find notes with both, but also finds notes with only one of the terms. This is on iOS.

After posting this, I notice that some notes that I thought didn’t contain both search terms actually did, but both weren’t highlighted.. need to play around with this more…

Edited by ObviousBob
Upon further reflection..
  • Level 5

Without being able to reproduce the searches, it is hard to tell. For me it usually works like that. It is in fact a bit more complex than described, but my description pretty much tells how to search with AND, OR and NOT equivalents.

The details are documented in EN help documents, if anybody wants to look it up. Here is maybe the most advanced, directed at developers who want to search through the API:

Some further possibilities for unexpected search results:

• The searched term is there, but not visible. It can for example be in metadata. Example: When OCR is done, and several possible matches are found, a selection of words is saved, to increase the possibility of a positive hit when searching. The alternatives are stored as well.
  • EN sorts searches by Relevance. It starts with the best hits, and lists more with less good matches.

In general I did not say Boolean Search is worth nothing. The search syntax for example does not allow to build complex searches. If you really need it, Boolean search will help. But for the normal user, the classical search will do. In the end, it is easier to pick the right note from a short list of search results, than to elaborate a search configuration until it really only finds exactly what you are looking for.

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5

The difference to Professional is that the Pofessional plan has additional features to follow and control shares, especially tasks you send to other people. I would not even think about „controlling“ my wife - be assured she is a better controller than me 😇

I've been a Premium user since 2009.  I'm currently paying $45/year, which is $3.75 a month.  The 50% offer I'm being presented says I can pay $2.92 monthly.

Reading further, it says that I'm subscribing to $69.99/year plan, not a $34.99/year plan.  So, is the 50% off for the first year, and then it resets to $69.99 after one year?

If I'm following the logic, I can pay $2.92 a month, and after one year, pay $5.83 a month.  I'm currently paying $3.75 (see above).  Is this a bait and switch, or is the $34.99 a year plan permanent?

It looks like I will save $10.01 for one year, and then pay $24.99 more than what I'm paying every subsequent year.  If this is not the case, why does the fine print read that I'm signing up for a $69.99 plan?

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 4.49.20 PM.png

• Level 5

You are on a rebated old Premium plan. This was never a full subscription - and this is why you were not automatically moved to the Personal subscription level on release of the new plans. EN will (probably) not repeat the mistakes of the past to permanently lower the price for a specific service to a part of it’s subscribers.

Your options are:

1. Continue with the old, rebated Premium. It will work with all old features, but you will not get any of the new stuff (except on the level of the Free plan)
  2. Make the switch today, get a one year rebate, and from then on the full price. Who had a full subscription before did pay this amount anyhow, and that is it.
  3. Make the switch on another day, nobody can tell if a first year rebate will be available then.

You can calculate back and forth, but it is very easy to see that you will pay more than today once you decide to upgrade to Personal. This is on any continued use - the first year rebate is nice to take along, but it will never make up for the base price level rise, in the longer run.

In the end you need to answer the question if you need any of the improved features of Personal, and if you are willing to pay for them.

• Evernote Expert

If you are Premium and were not automatically upgraded to Personal then you were paying a grand-fathered price. You have a choice. Stick with the plan you are currently on and you will pay your old price. However you will not gain any of the new additional features that come with Personal. If you need/want the Personal features then you can upgrade but you need to read the Ts&Cs to determine the deal. For sure, once you upgrade you will not be able to go back to your current Premium deal.

I use Legacy Evernote and are pleased with the features I have.  I never come anywhere near close the file limits.  I use Evernote on an Android and a Mac and the calendar syncing feature does not seem too appealing to me.  I think I will stick with my $45/year plan.

Thank you for the quick responses!

• Like 2