After the update to 10.22.3-win-dll-public (2958), Evernote is thrashing my disk.  It's writing 125k per second to my NTFS volume log, and 90k per second to a file in AppData under Evernote\conduit-storage with a name ending in ...LocalStorage.sql and then another 12k-36k per second in each of multiple threads to a similar file ending in LocalStorage.sql-journal.

Is the log process out of control, or is this intended?  I hope it's not the latter.

Capture.PNG

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If you know how much data is in your local EN storage, you can calculate how long a complete rewrite should take.

If it takes much longer, I would stop it, run a full uninstall (using an app like Revo Uninstaller), restart the PC and install fresh from the EN website.

I updated Evernote to 10.22.3 today and noticed the same phenomenon.

Since this update, while Evernote is open, I see in Windows Task Manager that Evernote is constantly using my hard disk.
As soon as I close Evernote, my hard disk activity drops back to its normal level as before this update.

Have other people using Evernote 10.22.3 on Windows noticed this phenomenon ?

• Like 1

This has now being going on for more than 3 hours, which seems a little excessive.  I'll try PinkElephant's suggestion of uninstall/reinstall, but I'm not particularly hopeful.  (It's the old joke:  "What do you want to do tonight Brain?"  "What we do every night, Pinky: reinstall Windows 95!")

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Same problem faced by me on shifting to v10.22.3 (Windows). Stopped using the desktop version and started using the browser/web version!

Looks like the new version indulges in some kind of background optimization of Notes, but its been at it too long (days ...).

Hope the dev team takes care of this problem asap!!

• Like 1

...same Issue with my Installation in Win, Std uninstall (win) and extended uninstall via revo doesnt help out - opened a ticket and will keep you in loop - meawhile i am disappointed about EN, beeing on board for a decade

On 9/29/2021 at 10:44 PM, Cyberdom said:

I updated Evernote to 10.22.3 today and noticed the same phenomenon.
Have other people using Evernote 10.22.3 on Windows noticed this phenomenon ?

Absolutely. And it is pissing me off.  C-Drive is a hard DISK drive. I have to listen to this nonsense!

• Level 5
On 10/3/2021 at 5:40 PM, MoG said:

Absolutely. And it is pissing me off.  C-Drive is a hard DISK drive. I have to listen to this nonsense!

In general EN runs better off an SSD - beside the noise issue.

Maybe it needs to download the local copy of the EN database. Depending on its size this may take a while.

If it doesn't stop by itself, maybe something went wrong while creating the local database. This procedure dumps it, and recreates it from the EN server again:

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote

Thx PinkElephant. While stating about SSD:

• Is there a chance to change the location of the EN.db within the new EN(10.x) ?
  • I was running a setup where the EN apllication (6.x)  was on the std drive while the EN.db was on a dedicated SSD.

Thx in advance

12 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

In general EN runs better off an SSD - beside the noise issue.

Maybe it needs to download the local copy of the EN database. Depending on its size this may take a while.

If it doesn't stop by itself, maybe something went wrong while creating the local database. This procedure dumps it, and recreates it from the EN server again:

2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.

Ok, I did that and it has not worked.
It does not matter what I do, you do have a bug on your hands! It does not take "a while", it never stops.

The mentality of SW "engineers" towards quality is enraging to me. If other types of engineers were to work this way the world would end.

HDthrashing.png

• Level 5

If I take your post personally: No, I don’t have a bug on my hands. As another user I see what I have, and my disk is behaving nicely, thank you.

You can contact support about it.

From the spiking your diagram is showing it looks like there is some interaction going on. Maybe a virus scan running against the EN database. But this is only wild guessing, maybe support can see more.

🚧 UPDATE: received feedback from EN:

• the incident is clasified as a new unknown error
  • fixing should be done within the next two relaese updates
  • no known timeline until fix is in place

stay tuned, btw i included a reference to this forum topic while opening the ticket to EN, so it would be helpful to collect relevant infos here

Even knowing that this is an anoying bug, pls try to keep calm.

WORKARROUND i am am using:

• WebApplication where possible
  • Legay where possible (no Task management possible)

I have a same issue too. Evernote 10.22.3 is always accessing my HDD, active time is always 40-60%. if I close Evernote, HDD activity is down to 0-5% immediately.
What Evenote is doing to my HDD? 
And What I do to solve this issue?

• 2 weeks later...

There is something really really bad going on there. All my Evernote data is 150MB. The application has been running for only 2 days (computer goes to sleep) and has been used only a few times, nothing special. This can't be just a database maintenance, if it was, it would mean it already rewrote all the data 12 times. It unnecessarily burns the SSD drive and could potentially damage it in the long term.

FBfXo5VXMAIfj_S.png

• Like 1

🚧UPDATE: Evernote for Windows 10.23.7 is rolling out since yesterday. I am awaiting the update to belivered on any of my machines and will keep you in loop about the progress. Would be happy about your experience while upgrading to Evernote for Windows 10.23.7

New to Windows 10.23

• To help you find what you're looking for even quicker, you'll now see a list of suggested filters at the top of the note list after you perform a search or add a filter.
  • We made it even easier for you to import files into Evernote. Just right-click a file and choose Evernote from the "Open with" menu to attach it to a new note.
  • We've improved how the app handles hyperlinks in tasks, so you can tap on more links in more places, and do more with them. For example: URLs in task titles, and links in tasks within a note.
  • If you're in the Tasks view, you can now sort your tasks by their due date, so it's easier to see what you need to work on first.
  • We made some improvements to the way the app handles dragging-and-dropping and copying-and-pasting files between apps.

Fixed highlights:

• Open note windows may not have been retained at restart. They should now reappear where you left them after restarting.
  • We made some adjustments to improve note typing performance for some sporadic typing lag reports.  
  • Occasionally, Chinese or Japanese words would disappear from a note. This now resolved.
  • Miscellaneous editor and calendar bug fixes.

No idea if our topic is toggeled by one of these bulletpoints - keeping the fingers crossed & cu

13 hours ago, Przemyslaw said:

There is something really really bad going on there. All my Evernote data is 150MB. The application has been running for only 2 days (computer goes to sleep) and has been used only a few times, nothing special. This can't be just a database maintenance, if it was, it would mean it already rewrote all the data 12 times. It unnecessarily burns the SSD drive and could potentially damage it in the long term.

FBfXo5VXMAIfj_S.png

... yes you are right. I had 900Mb EN DB and deleted over 17GB EN CrapData with Revo!!. I assume if you wont stop using EN on effected Win SetUp  you will kill yourself at anytime. I cant imagine that EN doesnt know what they are doing with this ***** processes crashing your disk. SSID users wont take notice because ist quiet. I was using EN on an brandnew HighEnd Tower from Lenovo, this means on an prof environment. 

Hi there, I just checked on my windows installation with new EN10.23.7. It also gives me a constant SSD accessing of app. 200 kb/s in total without any interaction with app (running in background). High art of programming! We have to wait for the next update I think. I will quit using EN for windows to prevent it from burning my SSD.  

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Alxa said:

Hi there, I just checked on my windows installation with new EN10.23.7. It also gives me a constant SSD accessing of app. 200 kb/s in total without any interaction with app (running in background). High art of programming! We have to wait for the next update I think. I will quit using EN for windows to prevent it from burning my SSD.  

Thx @Alxa - highly appreciated👍 even anoying news about EN🤢

🚧UPDATE: .. regarding EN10.23.7 i had a chat with EN Support: The issue is still currently open with the development team and they are working diligently to get this resolved.

inBetween: stay tuned and taste some wine🍷

will keep you updated

• Thanks 4
  • 2 weeks later...

I rolled back to Evernote for Windows 10.20.4 and this version does not yet seem to be affected by the disk burning bug. Interestingly this version says, it is the latest available version 🙂  (Meanwhile EN even stopped rolling out the last update(s) because of some bugs (file type related officially).

1 hour ago, Alxa said:

I rolled back to Evernote for Windows 10.20.4 and this version does not yet seem to be affected by the disk burning bug. Interestingly this version says, it is the latest available version 🙂  (Meanwhile EN even stopped rolling out the last update(s) because of some bugs (file type related officially).

thx @Alxa for this valuable info👌. I asume rolling back means wiping the current setup, e.g. with revo, and setting up from scratch.

Made the mistake and installed new 10.24.3 for windows today... disk burning still occurs 😞

Rolling back to 10.20.4 (deinstall 10.23.4 / install 10.20.4 - without erasing database folders) stopped disk burning again. Note: obviously no deleting of user data necessary for roll-back.

1 hour ago, Alxa said:

Made the mistake and installed new 10.24.3 for windows today... disk burning still occurs 😞

Rolling back to 10.20.4 (deinstall 10.23.4 / install 10.20.4 - without erasing database folders) stopped disk burning again. Note: obviously no deleting of user data necessary for roll-back.

thx @Alxa for sharing add infos about EN rollback. Would be interesting what the hack EN is burning down to the disk. This error makes EN unusable on effected Win systems and no movement on EN solving the prob, even no infos beside the stop of the win rollout - thats *****. Meanwhile a 10.24.x is launched on the web.... i cant follow on this🤢

• Level 5

Counting the number of forum users posting here, I doubt it is a general problem with the windows app.

I just repeat what I posted above: The spiking looks like an interaction with another program, be it antivirus or backup solutions that happen to interfere with EN on disk access. This does not say it is not EN that causes the interaction - but it may explain why there seems to be only a small group of users affected.

At least the number of users posting in this thread is not growing rapidly, as I would expect it if the problem would be a general issue. No big consolation if you are affected, though.

• Sad 1

Counting the number of forum users posting here, I doubt it is a general problem with the windows app.

You shouldn't draw that conclusion at all.  This is the kind of bug that not everyone will notice, and, of those, a smaller number will be able to diagnose the cause.  Even then, some number of those are going to say "oh, that's just software" or "I don't care."  If you've got some evidence that it's interaction, rather than speculation, please share.

Never discount a bug report.  More than four decades as a software professional have taught me that bug reports are assets, not liabilities, and companies discount them at their own risk.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Your opinion as a user. My opinion as a user. 

When I checked (on my rarely used PC, I am mostly on my Mac) I didn’t notice anything. Which proves nothing beyond on that machine there is nothing to observe. 

But looking at the graphs posted here, plus the fact that there were not many others joining the thread after being notified makes me think I may have a point. So I think anybody observing such a phenomenon might try some DIY options, like disabling security software, stopping background backup etc. 

If it doesn’t help, nobody lost anything by trying.

46 minutes ago, JLLC said:

You shouldn't draw that conclusion at all.  This is the kind of bug that not everyone will notice, and, of those, a smaller number will be able to diagnose the cause.  Even then, some number of those are going to say "oh, that's just software" or "I don't care."  If you've got some evidence that it's interaction, rather than speculation, please share.

Never discount a bug report.  More than four decades as a software professional have taught me that bug reports are assets, not liabilities, and companies discount them at their own risk.

@JLLC .... fully supported👍🏻

@PinkElephant .... i do not understand what you want to share with us. For me its about solving a prob - nothing else. Systematic, we have figured out workarrounds that indicate an RC connected to EN release management. Rolling back solves the prob, In the explorerview you find EN processes trashing the disk. Theses processes where initated by the EN main process. So the RC stays with EN. The EN ticket is accepted and classified as error. From a customer experience view, we investgated deeply, this is an achievement of this community which is highly aprecciated, thx to the audience. Now its on EN, inbetween we have to survive

1 hour ago, JLLC said:

You shouldn't draw that conclusion at all.  This is the kind of bug that not everyone will notice, and, of those, a smaller number will be able to diagnose the cause.  Even then, some number of those are going to say "oh, that's just software" or "I don't care."

Indeed, I think a lot of Evernote users don't even know this bug exists because they doesn't monitor their hard drive usage and some don't know about this forum.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cyberdom said:

Indeed, I think a lot of Evernote users don't even know this bug exists because they doesn't monitor their hard drive usage and some don't know about this forum.

I think so, too. I think less than 1% of all users will notice this issue, and visit the forums, to write about it. Maybe most users have unknowingly reduced their disk life ...?

6 hours ago, MEMES said:

I think so, too. I think less than 1% of all users will notice this issue, and visit the forums, to write about it. Maybe most users have unknowingly reduced their disk life ...?

@MEMES you hit the nail🚀  And adding: so far i understood EN is not taking action on posts out of this forum. To open a ticket is an additional process you have to pass through, even convincing EN to accept. Thats for sure an USP for EN. would be happy if a massed up here. 

(Installed 10.24.3-win-ddl-public (3041) today, and the disk churning continues)

I did some investigations using the Windows 10 "Resource Monitor" : EN is opening multiple connections to the following file:

C:\Users\<myname>\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\conduit-storage\https%3A%2F%2Fwww.evernote.com\UDB-User<myUserNo>+LocalStorage.sql

The parallel connections seem to be numbering more than 50 - with constant write activities reported, but the size of this file isn't changing - remains at 13640 KB in my case. Looks like EN is accessing and modifying multiple records in the same file.

Another file, "UDB-User<myUserNo>RemoteGraph.sql" in the same directory also shows much "writing" activity when EN starts up. 

I don't see any "Options" in the EN application that can possibly curb/control these activities. So, shutting down the EN application and jumping back to using the web version 🙂 - with the hope that someone can make sense of the above info and suggest some remedies.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, VinayK said:

(Installed 10.24.3-win-ddl-public (3041) today, and the disk churning continues)

I did some investigations using the Windows 10 "Resource Monitor" : EN is opening multiple connections to the following file:

C:\Users\<myname>\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\conduit-storage\https%3A%2F%2Fwww.evernote.com\UDB-User<myUserNo>+LocalStorage.sql

The parallel connections seem to be numbering more than 50 - with constant write activities reported, but the size of this file isn't changing - remains at 13640 KB in my case. Looks like EN is accessing and modifying multiple records in the same file.

Another file, "UDB-User<myUserNo>RemoteGraph.sql" in the same directory also shows much "writing" activity when EN starts up. 

I don't see any "Options" in the EN application that can possibly curb/control these activities. So, shutting down the EN application and jumping back to using the web version 🙂 - with the hope that someone can make sense of the above info and suggest some remedies.

@VinayK thx for sharing your investigation. Meanwhile i shared an update on this to EN via the incident ticket, awaiting feedback on EN.

What puzzles me, that it looks like EN is taking no serious action on this. In general i dont have a prob with mistakes and errors, important is the way to deal with. In best case EN is working hard on this and has a bad communication strategy. - will keep you updated🖖

• Evernote Expert
8 hours ago, galaktor said:

... meanwhile this thread has 450 view counts - doesnt like like we are alone🖖

I'm not sure that views for a thread tell you much about concern for the issue.  Some, like me, are just curious to see what is being discussed. Others may find, having read the topic, that their issue isn't what has been described. Certainly the number of individuals posting, the number of followers (just seven for this topic) and, in some discussions, the number of upvotes would be a better indication.

• Like 1

I asked earlier and didn't get an answer:  Where can we track the incident ticket?  Where could we file one directly, rather than launching a thread here and hoping that it gets adopted into an actual bug report?

• Level 5

Nobody will convert a posting here into a support ticket - unless you do it yourself.

If you did it, you have access to the history of your own support tickets on the support pages on the EN website.

There are numerous ways to issue a support ticket, based on the assumption that you are a subscriber.

The possibly most direct way it this:

• Level 5

You need to ask those who issued a ticket.

But you can’t probably see it, because your ticket history is linked to your user. You need to be logged in as the ticket owner to see the history.

Furthermore most tickets are set to closed, even if the issue is still pending. From a support view it is enough if they handed it over to the devs, and they will look after it. This is communicated to the user, and the ticket closed. It will not be updated after this point.

If there will be a solution at all, in some cases is not clear. I assume this is the case here - to influence the disk handling I believe the underlying framework needs to be modified. And this is no small issue, given the framework is based on Chrome(ium), an app infamous for not restricting its own use of every resource a computer has to spare. I don’t really expect anything to happen about what is going on.

On the other hand, what is going on is far below the guaranteed lifetime cycles of a modern SSD. When I take this SSD SDSSDXPM2-1T00 SanDisk Extreme Pro M.2 NVMe 3D SSD 1TB (a typical Laptop Consumer SSD, priced at appr. 140€/$), it has a TBW of 600TB. This means you could make a complete (!) rewrite of 1 Terrabyte every day for nearly 2 years to reach the lifetime expectancy.

If you take the above posted 17GB of „unnecessary“ data written (over several days, as I read it), such an SSD could sustain it for nearly 100 years if it happens daily, every day during these 100 years. Yes, it is OK to ask EN what is going on here. But it is not really worth to be overly alarmist neither.

I observe a daily disk usage of about 1 GB in my case - we are talking about a wear of appr. 1.650 years of daily use, for an app I am running practically from starting my computer to closing it down, every day. Really, I am dead (sic) sure I am not concerned if in 1.650 years from now my SSD will handout an error message, asking to be replaced …

Disclaimer: This is my personal analysis based on public information about the electron framework and the behavior of SSD drives. No inside knowledge, no inside sources !

@PinkElephant - It's not just about burning the SSD ! My laptop computer has a conventional rotating disk, and I experience an overall degradation in system performance whenever the EN desktop App is running - all other applications slow down since the CPU gets interrupted too, and shows higher utilization.

• Level 5

It never was a really good experience to run EN from a rotating disk, not even with legacy. Today this is a configuration that is simply outdated.

You can get an SSD (SATA) with 500 GB for as little as 40-50 bucks. It will make your old laptop fly …

When your laptop dies, get an USB case for another 10€/$ and use it as an external drive.

@PinkElephant Please stop assuming that your experience and equipment are the same as everyone elses. I hope you are speaking for yourself and not the Evernote developers.  In the real world, people use a variety of different computers with a variety of different configurations for a variety of reasons.  Telling someone their computer is inadequate is not helpful.  While the Dilbert comic strip at https://dilbert.com/strip/1995-06-24 is funny, it's not a helpful approach.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The forum is user to user (like me and you).

Those who are longer here than you know that we shared the insight that EN is not running well on a turning disk for a long time. This was true back then when there was only legacy. It is the more true for v10. When we share this insight it is not user shaming, it is a piece of valuable information. It is the more valuable when it helps to revive an aged laptop with a 50$ investment.

Take it or ignore it.

• Confused 1
22 hours ago, galaktor said:

🚧UPDATE: happy to share, i am in an dialog with the EN development, the are sorry about. I will do some config changes on my mashine to report back to EN ... so stay tuned, will keep you in loop🖖

Thanks @galaktor for this information.

Strongly that Evernote to fix this bug.

🚧UPDATE: ... investigated together with EN - the issue is set to highest priority within the develop team of EN. They are realy sorry.  Lets stay calm and buy some more wine to sit back and relax🍷🍷 ... will kepp you in loop🖖

• Thanks 3

Just adding my 2c worth here. I have seen this high activity in Resource Monitor and other tools, and am glad to have at last found that it is a real issue and not just a configuration problem of mine. Pleased to read that EN are addressing the issue. While I take the point made by @PinkElephant about the need to run from an SSD, as a matter of principle it is never good to have a task that is continually doing unnecessary IO. Certainly a product should not be designed to do that. To be generous, I assum it is a true "bug" or at least an "oversigt" in the design, and not a specific design feature. I look forward to a release with this issue resolved.

• Like 1

Been having the same issue for weeks now.  I thought that it was just my machine trying to tell me to replace it.  I would have to reboot every few days or so. 

I finally realized that it was my hard drive that was slowing down the machine when I looked at the Task Manager and then the Resource Manager.  Disk I/O was spiking up to 90-100% and everything else slowed down.  EM was doing an incredible number of writes even when the application was not being used.  Cancelled the EN tasks and everything is back to normal and running well.   Then I found this thread on this forum.

Leaving EN down and only using it on my phone.  I'll wait for a fix.  I'm glad I figured out what this actually was. What a pain in the you know what.

• 2 weeks later...

11/16/2021 - Running windows 8 and this endless running of the hard drive by Evernote after closing the program has been a problem as long as I can remember and I've been using Evernote since 2017.  I closed all apps and 30 minutes has passed and there is still writing going on to C:\users\myUserProfile\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\conduit-storage\https....

I'm also tired of endless synchronization issues which multiply when you use the desktop software.  I'm getting ready to switch to Microsoft One Note and deactivate my subscription.  They also got rid of manual sync button.  

Unfortunately I can confirm the bug being still present with 10.25.6 on my installation as well. Very disappointing. Can only suggest rolling back to 10.20.x. For what I know this was the last version before they implemented the bug.

OK, can someone please tell me where to download 10.20.4 from? I've spend 30 minutes searching and all i can find is the legacy windows version. 

The release notes don't have a link to the download URL. 

So how do you downgrade to 10.20.4 to avoid the disk problems with all the newer releases??

thanks!

so on 10.20.4 it writes to conduit storage... it's still writing 40 minutes after install and I have a GB connection to the Internet.

Evernote app isn't even running, just the processes.

So it can't possibly be a local copy of my notes... that would have downloaded by now.

see attached for what my directory looks like. Is this normal???

when does it stop writing to the file... or does it NEVER stop writing to the file.

conduit.JPG

I have 10.20.4. see screenshot. 

Looks like the file sizes are stable..same as the image earlier.

But evernote is just happily writing to the file 24x7 even though the app is closed and evernote isn't running anywhere else.

NOTHING IS CHANGING! Why is evernote writing to disk 24x7 ?!?!

evernote.JPG

• Level 5

Is the app closed (by hitting the "X" on the window, or by the menu command "Close"), or is it terminated (by using ctrl-q or the menu option "File- Quit") ?

Since EN is running embedded in a framework, it is a known issue even when the app is closed, but not terminated it continues to use system resources. To stop that, you need to quit the app, not only close it.

• 5 months later...
  • Level 5

The comments of somebody who claims the need for a change, and explains he stops updating is IMHO not to be taken serious.

Just a few fun facts, for who may be interested:

1) It was never recommended to use EN installed on a regular hard disk drive, not in the latest versions of legacy, and for sure not with v10. Having an HDD as main drive, where OS and app activity is taking place, is simply not state of the art any more. To run with performance, EN needs to be installed and operated (including the data files) on an SSD.

2) EN will create on the desktop clients a full copy of the database. As long as it takes it will add content to the database file. This is standard, no bug and necessary for the regular use. Downloading can be somewhat restricted by the switch for local data in settings - but when permanently running without local data the installed client makes no sense any more and can be replaced by the web client. Downloading of the content always runs on a fraction of the connection bandwidth. With a fast connection the main speed factor seems to be the integration of new data sets into the local database, not the download itself.

3) Who believes he can decide if a piece of modern, cloud based software should or should not do a background job knows nothing about how modern systems are working. Once the app is quitted (not only closed by the X), it terminates including the embedding framework and background jobs, and will continue to do what it was doing at that moment when restarted next time. Quitting will only delay the activity, not prevent it, because the activities are needed for the app to work.

If somebody does not understand these simple facts, just uninstall EN, and move to another service. But stop mixing up your own ignorance with nonexistent problems while a system does what it needs to do to perform.

wow. I have been waiting for someone to post the problem is fixed. I don't have time to update, find the software doesn't work, and then roll back.

I've been developing software for more than 50 years. Please don't insult me.

It is baffling to me that EN continuously was doing things in the background and it never stopped.

This didn't happen in earlier releases. What has changed to require such excessive traffic?

If EN isn't in foreground and no other EN instances are running, is it supposed to be idle until an event happens?

• Level 5

If you are in software since 50 years, maybe you are happy with coding your COBOL or FORTRAN applications. Nothing wrong with it, beautifully efficient code written for environments where a mainframe had less resources than my Apple Watch - I mean dramatically less resources, by several magnitudes.

The name of the game today are frameworks, cloud syncs and full multitasking environments. As long as you only close an app like EN, it is only moved into the background, but still active. It can still do what it needs to do, move data around, sync with the cloud , whatever. No activity should be a surprise. When you quit it, it is removed from active memory and won’t execute any more.

Even then a helper may run in the background, if it is designed and set to do so. I don‘t think EN v10 has such a permanent helper active, maybe as an updating agent.

In my opinion the whole thread is describing a non-issue, that is just a normal execution of the software.

And as I said, the title alone „disk trashing“ is IMHO nonsense. In any device that should be used with a modern software there will be no turning disk drive any more - it will be an solid state SSD drive, that can‘t be „trashed“ - or at least not by the described operation. As estimated above, the amount of data reported in the thread by „affected“ users would wear a standard, consumer grade SSD in about 100 years - but only if written in a single day, every day, which is not the case.

I want to complement PinkElephant on their continuing willingness to understand the different requirements of different users and his supportive comments.  (There's no sarcasm key, so you'll have to take the sarcasm in that sentence as read.  The volume of insult in their comments makes me hope that they are not representing the official position of Evernote and they are being a butthead on their own authority.)

It is simply ridiculous for a simple note-taking application to demand full use of my computer.  The goal of any piece of software should be to be use as few resources as necessary.  Evernote has no need that I can understand -- or anyone has even attempted to explain -- to continually access my disk writing and rewriting to the same file, which it is demonstrably doing.  I do not understand why this is "just normal execution of the software."    

To make matters worse, in the last week the web interface has changed, which makes that workaround less attractive.  The web view now includes an amazing amount of extra ***** that reduces the amount of data that can be seen at a glance -- I don't need to have the count of notes in each notebook, for example.  I now have to scroll significantly to see the full list of my notebooks, a view which was previously nicely compact.

• Level 5

Just drop the app - it is not made for you.

You seem to believe you know better than the app what is necessary to run it smoothly. You question every move it makes. You question it needs to write things to your drive (I still hope it is not a "disk", as it is repeated again and again) - it seems you ignore it works from that drive, and can only read from there what has been written before.

As I say: For your own sake of mind, drop the app. Get something like Notepad or TextEditor, a simple piece of virtual paper that only does anything when you press on buttons like "Save" or "Close Window". This seems to be the adequate tool for somebody who believes to make a computer work properly, he needs to control the flow of every bit and byte to and from the "disk".

For the rest of us: EN is an advanced app, running inside of a framework and permanently syncing with a web server and through it with other clients and external services. This creates background traffic when the app is used, because information needs to be exchanged and synchronized between the different locations, physical and remote. A single action causes a chain of processing steps.

And when nothing obvious happens, the app will stay active to optimize itself and still exchange information - nobody knows (and needs to take care about) what happens on the server or other clients and must be updated to the local installation. Typical jobs will include update the result of OCR from the server, update the search index, write events from Tasks and Reminders etc.

This whole thread is about throwing a fog maker into the forum, and then crying FIRE. No, only smoke, no fire.

P.S. While I wrote this, I had the Activity Monitor running on my Mac. What happened meanwhile: A number of other processes were active, some of them writing more data than EN even while they are closed, some others while open in the background: Photo Library, iCloud, AppStore, 1Password, ScanSnap Manager, Safari syncing (among others bookmarks), Notifications, Indexing for Spotlight and Alfred, just to name a few.

😱

A stampede of apps is "Trashing my Disk", to stay in the wording of this thread. Which only shows what a nonsense is discussed here.

• Level 5
On 5/14/2022 at 6:32 PM, JLLC said:

It is simply ridiculous for a simple note-taking application to demand full use of my computer.  The goal of any piece of software should be to be use as few resources as necessary.  Evernote has no need that I can understand -- or anyone has even attempted to explain -- to continually access my disk writing and rewriting to the same file, which it is demonstrably doing.  I do not understand why this is "just normal execution of the software."    

To make matters worse, in the last week the web interface has changed, which makes that workaround less attractive.  The web view now includes an amazing amount of extra ***** that reduces the amount of data that can be seen at a glance -- I don't need to have the count of notes in each notebook, for example.

Trying to give a non-inflammatory response here, if possible....

1. Whether Evernote is still (assuming it once was) a "simple" note-taking application seems debatable. It offers somewhat advanced formatting, tagging, searching (which requires indexing), and syncing via the cloud to devices on multiple platforms, to mention a few items. To me, this does not add up to "simple," and it may indeed be that it is overkill for you (and no doubt for many), so that a truly simple app would work better.
  2. I am not a programmer, but I would guess that in programming 101 today, the first lesson is not "use as few resources as necessary." Years ago, yes; for the sake of raw efficiency and nothing else, yes. But apps tend to be profligate these days. That may be a bad thing, but Evernote would not be an isolated case. The key word is "necessary," on which see point 1. And maybe the goal is "Get the job done correctly, as rapidly as possible, and as transparently to the user as possible, using as few user brain cells as necessary."
  3. The display of note counts in the Web client can be turned off (click the gear by your account name and select Sidebar).
On 5/16/2022 at 7:25 AM, PinkElephant said:

As I say: For your own sake of mind, drop the app. Get something like Notepad or TextEditor, a simple piece of virtual paper......

@JLLC

or

a simple piece of  paper......

Oddly people here will not spend hours agonising over your apparent dissatisfaction with Evernote. If you are an experience coder and are unhappy go write an alternative and then we will all test it.

JLLC wrote: It is simply ridiculous for a simple note-taking application to demand full use of my computer.  The goal of any piece of software should be to be use as few resources as necessary.  Evernote has no need that I can understand -- or anyone has even attempted to explain -- to continually access my disk writing and rewriting to the same file, which it is demonstrably doing.  I do not understand why this is "just normal execution of the software."    

I observed similar behavior. Huge resource drain for not doing anything. Appears to be a bug in the software, but the attitude expressed is that this is a user issue in not understanding that Evernote has buggy code that reads and write the same file incessantly and it's never going to be fixed because the people in charge aren't going to look into the problem at all.

JLLC: have you found a better alternative that we can switch to be obviously people here don't care and are trying to gaslight us.

• Level 5

Anybody can think what he wants. And apps are as much perfect as there is a perfect world.

What I pointed out is that when you run EN among other typical productivity / office apps, it is not exceptional in its use of system resources. It does use them, what a surprise. But nothing as claimed in this thread would be standing out. 

So either we users all suffer from an avalanche of bad software, from different developers, or we simply run state of the art software, that does what should be expected with modern coding practices.

Who does not want it - for example because of running weak or old hardware - can always move to the web client. It even runs with acceptable performance on a Raspberry Pi 4 - I have tried.

OK, so by design EN is SUPPOSED to continuously use more CPU at any point in time than any other app on my desktop, right? so when completely idle an you are not doing anying in EN, it's the #1 CPU user 24x7.

Right?

Because it is "state of the art" and nothing else on my desktop is.

Right?

To bring this topic back to earth:

• a ticket was opened and accepted by EN
  • no known timeline until fix is in place🚧

I kindly ask for a fact driven discussion. Shouting on paying customers is outdated

As of today, this "new unknown error" is unfixed

thx for understanding

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Looking at CPU use:

It is at position 0 when it is not running (opposite to what was stated somewhere above, there is absolutely no open process and no activity when the app is not running).

It is somewhere at position 5-15 when open and idling, depending on which other apps are open. The monitoring app to look at process consumption is taking more CPU than EN idling.

It moves between position 1 and 5 while in active use - which is to be expected. If I make a try editing some stuff and then switch back here to write these words, Safari and other processes take over, and EN drops down the list immediately.

Same on the drive usage, zero when quitted, a little while running idle, especially when syncing some new notes from the server to the local database, going up when used.

Conclusion: There is nothing to see here, please move on.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, galaktor said:

... some sideinfos: meanwhile we have 1.1k views on this topics - looks like we are not allone

Looks as if the thread title is clickbait, and the posts sometimes make for good popcorn time.

A high number of views combined with a low participation means good amusement, little practical impact.

5 hours ago, galaktor said:

To bring this topic back to earth:

• a ticket was opened and accepted by EN
  • no known timeline until fix is in place🚧

I kindly ask for a fact driven discussion. Shouting on paying customers is outdated

As of today, this "new unknown error" is unfixed

thx for understanding

Thank you for raising the ticket. Glad to see, that support as well interpretes this a bug - not a normal behaviour. Let's see, what they find out.

When I tried to open a bug on this, it was closed as a duplicate of an existing bug.  @galaktor I'm guessing that you opened the original.  Can you please update this thread when it's fixed.  I will say that I'm pleased that it's classified as "new unknown error," which suggests the developers believe it's a problem.

@skirsch: you ask: "JLLC: have you found a better alternative that we can switch to ..."    I put a lot of effort into moving my existing notebooks from OneNote to Evernote because of the support across additional platforms, such as my Android phone.  I'm reluctant to do that again unless absolutely necessary.  The next logical choices would be Google Keep or Obsidian.  I've dabbled with Obsidian, but it's a more all-encompassing solution than I want.  I have not tried Keep.  There's a nice, current review article at https://zapier.com/blog/best-note-taking-apps/

(As tempting as building my own solution would be, I am not good enough at developing Android or iPad apps to get the platform breadth I want.  And as long as I'm using a web client, Evernote will suffice.)

And @Dave-in-DecaturThanks for the tip about settings on the web client.

Saw this happening recently and thought it was just a random isolated bug that would eventually go away. After a couple of patches and a crash while my system was backing up (ie. heavy load even on an NVMe drive), I decided to check online for a solution.

Thanks to this thread, I've uninstalled the app and moved to the web version.

I'll come back here once my plan is up for renewal and if the problem in this thread isn't dealt with by EN, and the disk issue isn't resolved, I'll just downgrade to free and start migrating to another service.

Thanks to all of you for creating and adding to this thread, as it confirmed for me that it is an issue with the Evernote for Windows app.  The disk thrashing stops as soon as I kill the Evernote processes.

It's almost entirely writing to the UDB-UserRedacted+RemoteGraph.sql file, which is 34.8 MBs, whereas you can see below that Evernote has written over 16 GBs in the past few hours.  Even Windows Defender doesn't thrash my disk that much.  :)  By any objective measure, that is extreme over-kill.  There is clearly an issue, despite the argument that there aren't a lot of people posting on this thread - most people don't post things, and a lot of people who use Evernote may not be as technical to even know how to identify the problem.

I am a long-time paying customer and would very much appreciate you opening a ticket for your devs to investigate.

There are 8 Evernote.exe processes running, but it's only 1 of them that is trashing the disk with anywhere between 200 kB/s to 1.9 mB/s.  That process was started with the following arguments.  Hopefully this helps.

"C:\Users\redacted\AppData\Local\Programs\Evernote\Evernote.exe" --type=renderer --user-data-dir="C:\Users\redacted\AppData\Roaming\Evernote" --standard-schemes=app,en-html --secure-schemes=app --bypasscsp-schemes --cors-schemes=en-cache --fetch-schemes=en-cache --service-worker-schemes --streaming-schemes --app-user-model-id=com.evernote.Evernote --app-path="C:\Users\redacted\AppData\Local\Programs\Evernote\resources\app.asar" --no-sandbox --no-zygote --lang=en-US --device-scale-factor=1 --num-raster-threads=4 --enable-main-frame-before-activation --renderer-client-id=4 --launch-time-ticks=269812658953 --mojo-platform-channel-handle=2664 --field-trial-handle=1832,3465405702287716687,6585925958615044598,131072 --disable-features=PlzServiceWorker,SpareRendererForSitePerProcess,WinRetrieveSuggestionsOnlyOnDemand /prefetch:1

image.thumb.png.3993fd1249cb3e0c1fe16a6c2befda0f.png

image.png.2b44975b99d16d9444ce1cb25745dde7.png

• Thanks 2
  • Evernote Expert
16 hours ago, kyle77 said:

am a long-time paying customer and would very much appreciate you opening a ticket for your devs to investigate.

If you want to open a ticket you need to go to the support ticket options on the Evernote website. These forums are largely users helping users.

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, skirsch said:

Where is the apology from PinkElephant?

I'm not sure I understand... I don't see anyone asking for apologies. I was referring the previous poster to the way to open a ticket.

• Level 5

This thread is run by an handful of „believers“. I think it is called „self affirmation“, a group spinning itself off. Maybe they even do have a problem exclusive to them, who knows. All running the same screensaver, by accident, would not be the first time.

I think the forum is open, and as long as anybody enjoys being here, just continue. Sometimes it may even result into something - which makes the world a better place, and is the reason of all this.

I prefer to ignore this specific thread for the time being. Couldn’t reproduce anything, so I am probably not special enough.

• 2 months later...

For anyone else watching, I had the same issue and with a personal subscription put in a support request. After looking at my logs, support have pointed out that I'm running Windows 8 which is no longer supported. 

Don't know if this was the reason or just an excuse to blow me off. Pretty disappointing as I need to hang onto Windows 8 for a little longer yet for other reasons.

• Level 5

We had a similar thread on the Mac client. It stopped cold after a few posts when the thread owner followed this procedure (adapted for a PC):

It seems a „stuck“ note in the local database caused all the trouble, by trying (and failing) to save a single corrupted note over and over.

Except of this it is a very bad idea to run an unsupported OS these days, when even supported software has a hard time to keep up with threats. IMHO there is NO reason to stick with an unsupported OS. If you believe you need it for some exotic reason, get an actual OS, install a VM and install the old OS and the dead old, bad, outdated software inside of the VM. This way you can simply delete the VM install if it gets corrupted. And the VM will shield it from taking over the whole computer.