Problems editing a note: very basic issues that make the use of the app a completely nightmare on real working environments!

Certainly, editing a note on the iPad is quite frustrating, not because it does not work but because it is quirky (to say the least). These are the issues I’ve detected until now:

1. When editing a note, switching to another app and coming back to evernote provokes that he cursor moves at the very begining of the note, right at the top, making it impossible to multitasking without stoping to find “at which part of the note was I editing?”

2. This is quite annoying, that happened me recently: I was editing a note while on a meeting and suddenly, the blinking cursor just disappeared. It took a few seconds until I realised that the cursor was probably there but not visible, so I had to guess where the cursor was by typing some text

3. When reaching the far visible end of a new note, if you continue typing you cannot see anything on the screen unless you scroll manually to find out that the scroll does not move down as you add new lines. Quite ridiculous.

I have the feeling that people dedicated to develop the iOS version of the app does have a careless way of coding, probably not paying attention to things that make the using the app a headache when you are on a real working environment. I can’t even believe of me writing these very basic things on a forum to take the attention of the developing team of a product that aspires to become the “accomplish everything” app of this decade. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The developing team most likely won't see this posting. The forum is user2user, not a support dump.

To reach EN and hopefully get issues added to the backlog, issue support tickets. The best way is to report it one by one, because fixing must be done one by one as well.

One solution is simply try to avoid text editing in Evernote, especially on iPad. Think of it as a repository, not an editor. I try create text notes using Drafts, which is great for writing, and has the ability to send notes directly to Evernote, formatting intact. Just like I use a scanner to capture paper documents, or drag PDFs from whatever source into Evernote for later use, I use Drafts to capture text.

if I need to do a lot of editing of Evernote text, I do in on my Mac. The editor actually works pretty good on that platform. At the same time, it seems like the iPad is the weakest platform, Evernote seems to be ignoring the fact that iPadOS and iOS are not the same.

Of course, one might question the sanity of using two text apps when one should suffice… hopefully one day the iPad Evernote editor will be all I need.

• Level 5

EN works pretty well for me on the iPad. It is lacking some special capabilities other iPad apps have, like having more than 1 session open in parallel, drag&drop of everything else than text in split view and the lukewarm support for the pencil.

But the basic functions work for me, including normal editing of notes. In this it does a better job than the old iOS client, so I would say the glass is half full.

Thanks @PinkElephantfor your clarification regarding the purpose of the forum.

I agree with @ObviousBob that the iPad platform is not the main focus of attention for the developing team. Actually, I'm considering focusing more on my laptop while on the move, since relaying on the iPad is quite feeble. Hopefully, issues will be addressed and the iPad version will become reliable enough to be more than a viewer, otherwise, there are other contenders on the field that could also make the work, even better.