Why is the note history limited to 50 versions ?

Is this expected behavior that you can't access the full version tree in the note history? It seems that it's restricted to about 50 versions 😞

Edit: I just realized that this limit may be reached sooner than you expect: temporarily changing the view type of a pdf document is sufficient to store a new version...

• Level 5

In Cloud software it is a standard to limit the number of versions. Once you exceed the limit, the oldest one is terminated when a new one is added. I think 50 versions backwards sounds pretty generous - each version uses additional server space, in most cases to be never used again.

There is no information about a limit in the „History“ Help document. It says „older versions“ without defining the range covered. If you want to be sure about it, ask support.

4 minutes ago, agsteele said:

I couldn't say why they is a limit of 50 versions but I can't imagine why that would be a significant limitation. I rarely have need to go back more than two versions.

Because this limit may be reached sooner than you expect: every insignificant change can cause a new version: for instance temporarily changing the view type of a pdf document is sufficient to store a new version..

3 minutes ago, eric99 said:

Because this limit may be reached sooner than you expect: every insignificant change can cause a new version: for instance temporarily changing the view type of a pdf document is sufficient to store a new version..

another example of unexpected versioning is when reorganizing your tags or notebooks

• Level 5

Even if a lot of versions are created, 50 is reaching way back. You can expect that the user will note that a change went wrong on a currently updated note, and tries to correct it. This is more likely in a note that is permanently updated than in one not touched for weeks or longer.

But as I said - we are speculating about what might be. Ask support, and you get a definite answer.