What happened tp the SYNC option?

noconflicts

Idea

I just installed the newest version of Evernote (10.22.3-win-ddl-public (2958), Editor: v132.1.16932, Service: v1.40.3). Wish I hadn't.

The SYNC option that used to be at the top of the page is now gone.I'm unable to find any option to sync immediately.

Maybe I'm missing it but why remove an obvious and easy to find option?

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5

EN says it syncs permanently - if you watch closely, you will see a grey text at the bottom right of the window, most of the times telling that all changes have been synced. Once you change something in a note, it briefly changes and then falls back to "Everything saved".

Technically the new client it based on a framework, which is a browser without user interface, running the app, which is practically a browser extension. EN argues that this setup syncs by itself.

There is another voting thread to restore a manual sync function. You can search for it, go there and add your vote.

I'm thinking I have a syncing problem but not sure. My computer crashed, go figure. And when I opened up my evernote app all my notes are  there but it doesn't reflect in the tag tree. Though the notes are still tagged it looks. It's working fine in my browser, it's just the app.

I signed in and out of my account in the app, I reinstalled the app. It's still showing the note count but no notes. 

See video: https://www.loom.com/share/5862ae39de1043a0b9e7b72c605058b8

Also, just noticed that when I add new tags in the app or the web version it WILL update immediately. I just need to find out why my current tags do not populate now though. I am testing evernote to switch from my current program to this one, but having these issues may be a deal breaker, the notes I save are basically my brain lol.

Edited by Miekevson
Found out additional issues during wait on moderator
  • Level 5

Probably your local data drew a shot when the computer shut down. You can try this:

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote
If this does not do the job, you probably need to uninstall (using something like Revo Uninstaller), restart the PC and install a fresh client from the EN website. 
On 9/28/2021 at 4:36 PM, PinkElephant said:

EN says it syncs permanently - if you watch closely, you will see a grey text at the bottom right of the window, most of the times telling that all changes have been synced. Once you change something in a note, it briefly changes and then falls back to "Everything saved".

Technically the new client it based on a framework, which is a browser without user interface, running the app, which is practically a browser extension. EN argues that this setup syncs by itself.

There is another voting thread to restore a manual sync function. You can search for it, go there and add your vote.

Thanks for the info. I see on another thread that many are dissatisfied with the upgrade as well. I have found Evernote to be very useful in the past. However, like so many (MANY) software developers they seem now to have bought into the "Microsoft mantra": "fix things that aren't broken! Remove useful features! Hide popular functions! More clicks!"

It's a real shame.

So, from now on, as with other software I use, I will ignore any further upgrades, and go back to an older version permanently.

th

12 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Do what you want to do.

EN legacy is likely to be around for a while. It is an official offer from EN. 

The downside is it is not evolving any more. You know what you get - you get (only) what you know.

Will do. I'm not against improvements, but it often seems that "improvements" flow from the developers' minds and do not always reflect what the users want. I've been using and analyzing software for over 40 years. Progress often means a step backwards.