Ellipses

Go to solution Solved by pixie0824,

I have never posted to this forum, and maybe I should have asked this somewhere else, but someone can direct me if needed.  For years I have used ellipses in my journals to separate thoughts or the passage of time between thoughts and suddenly my three dots... are being turned into links.  This is very frustrating.  Is there a way to stop it?  If I want to add a link (which I seldom do) I can just insert it.  I'm just journaling here, not doing lots of business and sharing.

1 hour ago, pixie0824 said:

I have never posted to this forum, and maybe I should have asked this somewhere else, but someone can direct me if needed.  For years I have used ellipses in my journals to separate thoughts or the passage of time between thoughts and suddenly my three dots... are being turned into links.  This is very frustrating.  Is there a way to stop it?  If I want to add a link (which I seldom do) I can just insert it.  I'm just journaling here, not doing lots of business and sharing.

Are you sure that you are not confusing a link with a spelling error? For me EN underlines the ellipse in red because it doesn't think it is spelt correctly. The answer is to right click it and "add to dictionary".

Another alternative might be to add three dashes which EN will automatically convert to a nice clean dividing line.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, pixie0824 said:

I'm just journaling here, not doing lots of business and sharing.

Sounds like you may be being caught out by the 'autoformat' option in whichever client you're using,  though I don't know why it would consider that "..." might need to be a link.  'Undo' should turn the link back off - maybe someone else can run a trial to see if there is a way to switch it off...  (dot-related pun intended) 

• Solution

Thank you to those who replied.  It is definitely creating a link (underlines in blue and when I click on it, it tries to go to a web page.) I guess I will need to use dashes. I just hate it when evernote "fixes" things that are not broken.  

• Evernote Expert

I don't experience this issue at all and I use ellipses extensively.

However, one issue with the note editor is that you cannot see the underlying formating code.  I sometimes find hat some text I am typing picks up a formatting style or link that was previously in some text. Typically the style or linked text has been removed but the code/format/link is still present in the text.  I type away and find that the text I'm typing picks it up.  This is particularly common when I've either copied and pasted text from Word into a note or used the web clipper to capture some text. It can also arise when typing after some encoded text - for example I have a web link in the text. I instert a space after the link and type something such as an ellipsis and the link get picked up highlighting the added text.

I'd say that this is not common to ellipses but is a text formatting issue. Can you describe with a little more detail how you can recreate the issue including how the original note content is created.

Do you get this issue in, say, a new note which you have just typed text into rather copying and pasting from elsewhere?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, agsteele said:

However, one issue with the note editor is that you cannot see the underlying formating code. 

Export the note to see the underlying html code

• Evernote Expert
8 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Export the note to see the underlying html code

Yes, but that doesn't help as the person is typing. But it would be a useful way of the OP potentially diagnosing what is happening.

3 hours ago, pixie0824 said:

Thank you to those who replied.  It is definitely creating a link (underlines in blue and when I click on it, it tries to go to a web page.) I guess I will need to use dashes. I just hate it when evernote "fixes" things that are not broken.  

If you look at the link it creates (e.g. ctrl-k in windows) does that throw any light on it?

The only way i know of "accidentally" making a link from text is with the syntax

[title](https://www.example.com)

but even then the link has to be a properly formatted link (not just ordinary text)  and I don't see how that could be happening in this case.

• 1 month later...

I have this issue as well; just posted about it (see below). I tried to recreate the problem but couldn't. But I definitely have an unwanted hyperlink, after typing: word...other word, and nothing else, no brackets, no "http:" etc. just word, dot dot dot, word. 

I'm on EN 10.24.3, MacOS 12.0.1. 

Thank you for this post. I knew it was not my imagination and there is no reason other than something in Evernote that could be causing the problem. I thought surely I would find a setting, but have looked everywhere I know to look.  I know I can edit it each time it happens, but I use A LOT of ... in my journal to separate rambling thoughts.

• Evernote Expert

I guess that this is an issue that the Deb's would want to be able to give attention to. A support ticket is possibly the way to go. I'm sure the fix won't be immediate but likely to go on the list.

• Level 5

Tried it again on the Mac client, 10.24.

In any combination, „word…other word“, followed by a space, followed by an Enter: No Hyperlink created, not once.

There is nothing documented in keyboard shortcuts neither. To enter a link it is cmd-K, to remove it shift-cmd-K. I doubt they would add another shortcut for the same function.

So it is a support ticket with an activity log, which can only be issued by somebody who has the problem.