Evernote Web crashes Safari on iPadOS

Tcellguy

I can’t read the very small text in the iOS Evernote app and there is no way to change the text size other than manually zooming the page each time, which is cumbersome. Also the zoom doesn’t reflow the text so it’s like trying to read on an iPhone before text reflow was implemented. 

I’m able to log in to Evernote web on Safari in iPadOS 15 using my iPad Pro 2021. Browsing works but any attempt to edit text crashes Safari fully 100% of the time (crash to desktop and takes the whole application down). 

Is Evernote still not viable on iOS Safari (supposed to work like a desktop version I thought?). 

Really the native client should have default text size options. 

Interesting… I have not had that option with Evernote Web on Safari… have you tried restarting your iPad?

I don’t do a lot of text editing on iPad Safari Evernote, but do use it a lot for changing titles, folders, etc. It is really a shame that the iPad app isn’t more like the web and desktop versions, as opposed to a larger iPhone version

• Level 5

Maybe an iOS 15 thing - for me it works without any problem on iOS 14.8.

iOS 15 brought a lot of changes to Safari - maybe something collides with EN. Since you say it is about editing when it crashes, you could try the classic editor for a change.

I will do what I do every year: Wait for the first „next“ release of iOS before I hit update. Maybe 15.1 or even 15.0.1. Apple usually releases it when the new iPhone go on sale. They come preloaded from the factory and usually need an update when the customer switches them on for the first time.

Thanks I gave up on Evernote support years ago, unfortunately.

Most times the support person starts offering suggestions for different platforms and is only half paying attention (e.g. giving recommendations for macOS when I’m using iOS).

The only hope is if someone here can tell me if some feature should work or not. 

• Level 5

Can’t tell because nothing dares to crash my Safari with EN web on my iPad Pro 10.5. Gave it a try myself before I posted my first answer - runs fine, up and down, editing, new note, trashing, no problems.

I am not aware of a single post in this direction in the forum for the last months.

To me it looks as if in fact support is your best alternative - be it as good as it may be.

• Level 5

To run EN on a mobile device you need to switch the browser into desktop mode. It should be selected on an iPad by default. 

With Safari you tap on the AA left of the URL, and select the setting with desktop mode. In iOS settings, Safari this can be selected permanently, for all websites or individually. It is pretty far down in the list of Safari settings.

No idea with Chrome, but probably similar.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

new user here, I just signed up today. 😎

Unfortunately I have the same problem with Safari on iOS 15.1, iPad Pro 1st gen. As soon as I try to type something into the very first note it crashes the whole browser. Desktop mode is enabled, I checked. Also, the site is very laggy ...

Just thought I should let you know that this problem is still there.

(As of now I'm unsure if I should get a sub... I can't even access the security summary page in my account - it keeps repeately  asking for my (correctly inserted) password and is stuck in a loop 🔁 .)

Nicole 😊

• Like 1

First day and first time on the support forums. Apologies and thank you. I have, however, been a user of EN (paid) for more years than I can count and more notes than photos on my phone. 

I recently switched to EN on Safari. I have Mac iOS 11.6 and Safari 15.0. I switched to Safari as the desktop version of EN (direct download) would cause my computer to crash multiple times daily. It started with just EN crashing but progressed to the entire machine. At least, this seems the most reasonable explanation as my computer has stopped crashing after no longer opening and running the desktop version of EN. 

If the Safari web version doesn't cause the browser to simply crash the tab, I seem to get the attached. 

Will keep looking for guidance. Appreciate everyone sharing their experiences and suggestions. 

EN-note-load-error.png

• Level 5

To heal the desktop Mac client, you can try this:

1. Go to the Evernote menu, Preferences, and uncheck „Keep data when leaving“
  2. Log out of EN (File menu), quit EN (cmd-q)
  3. If you want to be very sure, restart the Mac
  4. Open EN, log back in, wait for it to run an initial sync. 
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If they could make the font size larger on the iOS interface that would be fine. But also the iOS version seems to be limited to one instance etc. I would think a benefit of moving to an electron style app would be that a web browser version should work well cross platform? Slack works very well in Safari for example. They could even add keyboard shortcuts via Safari I think. The iPadOS version of Evernote feels pretty neglected. 

• Level 5

The web client is still crashing, even with 10.28. 

About the iPad client: It is not neglected, it does what the mobile EN client does. And this comes along with some restrictions compered to the desktop and even the web version. Probably the most impact has that only one single note can be active at any time. There is no support for multitasking neither.

Who is using the iPad as main device is at the moment seriously handicapped: A stripped down mobile client plus a crashing web client.

I had already issued a support ticket on the web client crashing Safari. I just tried again, got the same crash, and send another ticket to remin that even after the update to 10.28 the problem remains unsolved.

Personally I regard this bug as serious, because it brings down Safari completely, aborting from all open tabs, not only the EN web clients tab.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Who is using the iPad as main device is at the moment seriously handicapped: A stripped down mobile client plus a crashing web client.

One of my main wishes for the future is to be able to actually use Evernote on the iPad… never as my main device, but it would be so much better for the weekly review, clearing my inbox and rescheduling reminders if it worked like the Web version without crashing, and allowed full support for multitasking. 

I experience major sync issues with the iOS app, and that date selector wheel is so inefficient when rescheduling reminders. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Nope, all iOS browsers need to use the Apple web kit engine. 

This is different on the Mac where a browser will bring its own engine.

Gave it a try on Firefox Klar on my iPad. It opens EN, notes are showing, the cursor is placed into the notes body. When I type the first character - BAM, Firefox closes down hard, taking me to the iPads Home Screen.

This is really something deep with web kit, not only a user interface thing.

What is funny: On the Mac the web client works with Safari,  no problem.

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Update: Support has confirmed "Safari (and other browsers) crash on the iPad when the web client is used" is on the Backlog - and it did not sound as if a fix is around the corner.

Yep. I got this from support when I reached out last week about this issue.

"I'd like to let you know that we are aware of this issue and are now working for a permanent fix. While I'm unable to provide an ETA of when the fix will be released, please access Evernote from the mobile app in the meantime"

This could be a tricky issue to fix. Does Evernote work in safari on a PC? If not, it could be that apple has just let safari rot too much and the basic libraries Evernote is built on require a more standards-compatible browser.

11 minutes ago, ehrt74 said:

This could be a tricky issue to fix. Does Evernote work in safari on a PC? If not, it could be that apple has just let safari rot too much and the basic libraries Evernote is built on require a more standards-compatible browser.

On a Mac, yes it does.

• Level 5

No problem on a Mac.

On the iPad not only Safari crashes - other browsers (tried with Firefox Klar) crash as well. All use the Apple WebKit engine. There must be something not compatible. From my experience this happens only with the EN web client.

About Safari in general: It is a really good, fast and privacy oriented browser. Apple is adding features you can’t have with other browsers. They do not abandon it - right the contrary.

Example ? Take private relay: As an option all web traffic is fully encrypted (with URL), routed through Apple first, and then trough independent partners, and from there to the web.

Apple does not see the encrypted content, but will replace the IP by a random address. The partner never sees the real IP, but will decrypt and forward the content. This way tracking it stopped.

How do we know it works ? Well, the mobile ISPs are running amok against it. They are cut off from sniffing on the web traffic of their clients, and they don’t like it. Well done, Apple.

This is only available when using Safari.

For web developers safari is regarded as the new IE. It lags way behind in standards compliance and is buggy. Just this week another story broke about a security hole in safari that apple has known about for months and haven't bothered to fix 

Apple doesn't profit from safari working well. Apple wants to lock people into the apple ecosystem. Open standards would allow way too much interoperability.

• Haha 1
  • Level 5

Open standards is ... Chrome ? LOL

Chrome is not following standards, they are constantly destroying any standard in that industry. Others do not have the resources to follow and to counter the interaction of browser development and web search, and drop out of a loosing game (like MS).

Since the Mozilla foundation AFAIK is kept afloat mainly by contributions from Google (in manpower and money, to keep a facade of competition), Safari / WebKit is the only alternative to Chrome and its offspring. And Google is doing everything to kill any other browser - this is how they made Chrome into the dominant browser build.

And the data goes where ? Jackpot ... in all cases.

I use Safari as my main browser. I don't experience bugs, it is fast and reliable. It is lightweight, going easy on my CPU, RAM and battery. Tell that about this resources hog called Chrome - what a laugh. Why ? Because Chrome is more a VM than an internet browser. Just need to look at Electron/Evernote !

I can install any browser on my Mac, but to use Safari, I need to have a Mac or iOS decive. Lock in ? Hardly, because I can use any other browser on a Mac. iOS is closed, but it is closed in many ways. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2022 at 1:34 AM, PinkElephant said:

Open standards is ... Chrome ? LOL

Chrome is not following standards, they are constantly destroying any standard in that industry. Others do not have the resources to follow and to counter the interaction of browser development and web search, and drop out of a loosing game (like MS).

Since the Mozilla foundation AFAIK is kept afloat mainly by contributions from Google (in manpower and money, to keep a facade of competition), Safari / WebKit is the only alternative to Chrome and its offspring. And Google is doing everything to kill any other browser - this is how they made Chrome into the dominant browser build.

And the data goes where ? Jackpot ... in all cases.

I use Safari as my main browser. I don't experience bugs, it is fast and reliable. It is lightweight, going easy on my CPU, RAM and battery. Tell that about this resources hog called Chrome - what a laugh. Why ? Because Chrome is more a VM than an internet browser. Just need to look at Electron/Evernote !

I can install any browser on my Mac, but to use Safari, I need to have a Mac or iOS decive. Lock in ? Hardly, because I can use any other browser on a Mac. iOS is closed, but it is closed in many ways. 

Have a look at browser scores here: https://caniuse.com/

• Level 5

What does it really tell ? The selection of browsers is not large (at least when looking at the engines), and I do not use Google devices or software whenever I have an alternative. For me Google (together with some others) is IMHO a case for tough antitrust legislation, not for a technical recourse. This is my bias, just to mention it.

Any "scores" are biassed on browsers anyhow, because of this reasons:

1) Google is setting the pace with browser development - out of the very selfish reason that when they drive this segment, they stay dominant and continue to sip data from all possible sources. It is impossible to de-Google any Google product, because they build it that way. They feast on the users data provided with every use of one of their services - and it gets worse if you allow them to combine different sources.

The crazy turns this browser development took has driven most competition out of the market. That they are "ahead" does mean they try to push all others out of the business. I mean "completely out of the business". They do not work on better reaching a standard, they permanently set and reset "the standard", lifting the financial barrier for the competition.

Just need to look at who is still competing: Mozilla / Firefox, kept alive by Google to be able to tell "Oh, we have such a tough competitor", and Apple, who traditionally are willing to put some money on key issues that keeps them independent. 

2) Experience with Safari is restricted to those who own an Apple device, and decide to use Safari. This is a pretty small subset.

About the value of scoring, read the fine print as well. I doubt that for example the "Private Relay" feature unique to Safari made it into scoring. It prevents tracking and most fingerprinting, so I am sure Google does not like it at all - as do the greedy ISPs that on top of selling you an internet connection are obviously generating more bucks from selling their customers data. A great innovation - but who does not care about tracking, will not even know.

SCR-20220209-dlg.thumb.png.7dcaf89639e78c2cb57f918978c655d0.png

On 2/9/2022 at 9:57 AM, PinkElephant said:

What does it really tell ? The selection of browsers is not large (at least when looking at the engines), and I do not use Google devices or software whenever I have an alternative. For me Google (together with some others) is IMHO a case for tough antitrust legislation, not for a technical recourse. This is my bias, just to mention it.

Any "scores" are biassed on browsers anyhow, because of this reasons:

1) Google is setting the pace with browser development - out of the very selfish reason that when they drive this segment, they stay dominant and continue to sip data from all possible sources. It is impossible to de-Google any Google product, because they build it that way. They feast on the users data provided with every use of one of their services - and it gets worse if you allow them to combine different sources.

The crazy turns this browser development took has driven most competition out of the market. That they are "ahead" does mean they try to push all others out of the business. I mean "completely out of the business". They do not work on better reaching a standard, they permanently set and reset "the standard", lifting the financial barrier for the competition.

Just need to look at who is still competing: Mozilla / Firefox, kept alive by Google to be able to tell "Oh, we have such a tough competitor", and Apple, who traditionally are willing to put some money on key issues that keeps them independent. 

2) Experience with Safari is restricted to those who own an Apple device, and decide to use Safari. This is a pretty small subset.

About the value of scoring, read the fine print as well. I doubt that for example the "Private Relay" feature unique to Safari made it into scoring. It prevents tracking and most fingerprinting, so I am sure Google does not like it at all - as do the greedy ISPs that on top of selling you an internet connection are obviously generating more bucks from selling their customers data. A great innovation - but who does not care about tracking, will not even know.

SCR-20220209-dlg.thumb.png.7dcaf89639e78c2cb57f918978c655d0.png

Google doesn't determine what html/css/javascript should be. they are open standards. Apple has spent a lot of time and money trying to pervert the open standards to add proprietary Apple technologies. Google, however,has constantly fought for open free standards. For example, Google even spent 500 million on a video codec and open-sourced it so that everybody could create and view videos without risking being sued (Apple has a number of patents on h265 for example and has used these aggressively).

I find it odd that somebody interested in privacy uses Apple products. Apple knows everything about you: what apps you use and when, who you contact, what you take photos of and when and where. The iPhone phones home regularly to tell Apple your position for example, and there's no way to disable this. Google doesn't do this.

When it comes to total big-brotherness Apple is way ahead of Google. Users of iProducts have no privacy, literally none.

Another unsavoury Apple tactic is buying companies with the sole purpose of shutting them down, so as to stop them making products for competitors. Also, did you know that Apple threatens app developers with delisting if they create Android versions of apps?

• Level 5

Yes, Goggle, the company that does not do evil (and by doing sooooo good makes a ton of money from tracking all users, those that do not volunteer as well as account holders).

Don't believe me ? OK, Google fonts: They are nice, neat, beautifully crafted, and FREE. Yes - free for web designers to use. Similar fonts from vendors cost some hundreds of euros / dollars PER FONT !

But who pays are the people who open web sites. Their browser will contact a Google server - because they want to check about the Fonts used. If the fonts are already on the users machine, nothing will be loaded. If that new, fancy font is missing, Google will send it. And with the same action, Google takes a fingerprint of the installed fonts on THAT computer. If there are some thousands of fonts in total, and new / modified ones are added and used all the time, chances are high that YOUR computer has an UNIQUE font fingerprint - a combination of fonts only found on this machine. BINGO.

This is what would go through to Google if my Pi-Hole would not catch and filter it away, when calling most websites on this planet, again and again:

SCR-20220213-g-2.thumb.png.29843f2c8a7e81f0afc8cc16b77eb18f.png

And you wonder why you get lawnmower ads, you just looked for one 4 weeks ago, but in private mode, without accepting cookies ? Because they do not need cookies ! This is my browser font fingerprint - it allows to narrow it down to 1 of 17 browsers, only by the fonts. Together with other aspects of my system, I can be identified on the web without using anything I would have accepted on my computer myself - 100% identification without participation !!!

SCR-20220212-wy1.thumb.png.4d2cd7d4c15cdb74f8601650d7be4c91.png

You can make this check yourself using this website:

https://coveryourtracks.eff.org

And this is all there is to know about Google designing browsers: They will do everything to identify us even if we work against it, and send us their creepy, crappy, sticky ads, if we want it or not. Because they make their money from doing so.

With Apple, it is slightly different: They know, because my devices are all logged into iCloud. This is because I have decided to log them into iCloud. They do not make money from my data. They don't auction access to my eyes, ears and mind to others, to make money from it. They hold my data, yes. And I could not imagine a better place, taking privacy, security and ease of use into account. It is a company, not a charity. But their business model is straightforward, and it is restricted to their customers - not web domination.

Apple does not build tracking into their devices to sell what they learn about their own customers to others. They even build some pretty nice anti tracking into their devices, but that is another story.

Google and Facebook do follow you, even if you have NO account and do not want ANY relationship to these companies. They will track you, 'til the last cradle. And then they will see to sell the "adequate" services to your heirs.

If you do not believe me, go and find out yourself.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5

Is your iPad up to the latest release level ? iOS 15.4.1 as of today.

Because with the latest software the web client works on the iPad again, it even does so in Split View (Multitasking) with the installed EN client (10.30). Left screen part web client, right screen part EN client, picture take just now. The web client doesn’t crash on editing, as it did before.

0E3D022C-E72E-4B02-AA51-C9B2AF07E6ED.thumb.png.49ee1aa63bf77356afb8823550e98f07.png