Why Evernote is always consuming so much memory even while doing basic tasks?

Akshay Dadhwal

Idea

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5

EN is practically a browser extension (a large one) running inside of a framework - which itself is a browser based on Chrome(ium), not showing itself behind the app.

So you have a Chrome browser open (infamous for the use of resources) running the EN app with several in-browser processes. No surprise there is a lot going on even when it seems idling along.

Methods to tame it a bit:

1. Use small(er) notes, avoid a lot of text in a single note
  2. Turn off the spell checker when you don’t need it
  3. If it seems stuck at a high CPU load, quit the app (not only hit the X, really use the menu) and restart it.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

EN is practically a browser extension (a large one) running inside of a framework - which itself is a browser based on Chrome(ium), not showing itself behind the app.

So you have a Chrome browser open (infamous for the use of resources) running the EN app with several in-browser processes. No surprise there is a lot going on even when it seems idling along.

Methods to tame it a bit:

1. Use small(er) notes, avoid a lot of text in a single note
  2. Turn off the spell checker when you don’t need it
  3. If it seems stuck at a high CPU load, quit the app (not only hit the X, really use the menu) and restart it.

Ok..got it. Will try 👍

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You can switch to the web client. It is nearly on feature parity with the installed app. You have a choice of browsers there, Chrome, Firefox and on Macs Safari as well. These 3 browsers have an own „engine“, all others make use of that engines.

• Level 5

EN v10 runs in a framework. This is a Chromium browser without a front end, practically serving as a runtime environment for the core app.

Chrome is known as a memory and CPU hog, more of a virtual machine than a classical browser. EN has inherited this layer of inefficiency.

On the positive side the framework handles a lot of tasks, the EN devs can focus on the core app. This has allowed the rapid development of the new app.

We would not have the one without the other.

Dear developers of Evernote, 
I am having the same problem as mentioned in this thread and also in 136806 (posted on June 2021) 
While using Evernote (newest release 10.35) - I open the program and I am editing some notes or just running the program in background - in a few minutes the CPU load of my PC is about 30-40% taken just by Evernote and after some time the fan goes totally crazy and the PC starts to freeze time to time. I didn't notice such behavior in previous versions using the same PC. I moved to Legacy version 6.25 for now to avoid this problem. 

I read the explanation why Evernote is doing so since an web-browser is running inside the application or by the grammar corrector. Anyway, I do expect from my note manager to be a light program running the whole day on my PC being ready anytime to take a note as it was in previous version. I really don't need high performance software running me and my PC crazy. 

I believe this feature/bug will be fixed soon since this problem lasts at least from June 2021 (almost 1 year) and I am obviously not the only affected person. 

Sincerely, 

Miroslav Homola

• Level 5

No developers in the forum, just other users.

If EN consumes that much resources, something is probably wrong with you install. I am running it on a Mac: On startup it will draw a peak, say 100% CPU (which means 1 of the cores of the CPU is fully occupied by EN, not the whole CPU). Once it is up and open, this falls back, usually to a low 1-digit percentage, which is pretty good for such a complex app.

An activity like a search will make it peak again, for a few seconds while it scrambles to produce a result to the user request. But it goes quiet again pretty fast once the search result is displayed.

Windows performance seems to be in a similar range since several releases.

You can try to dump the local database, maybe something in it causes a loop. Or you decide tho make a fresh install - using a tool like Revo Uninstaller to really erase all current parts and settings, and give EN a new start.

Disabling the spell checker was good for a while, but they fixed this some releases ago, so spell checking normally does not contribute to the system load any more.

Or just in case you want to talk to EN: Issue a support ticket.