Symbols or Punctuation in Tag Names

What symbols or punctuations are allowed in tag names?

I saw one forum post that said that the underscore is the only the only thing allowed in tag names and another post that recommended an asterisk at the beginning of a tag name. When I search by tag name on Android some of the results return all of my notes and sometimes the search only returns some of my notes. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, RsM said:

What symbols or punctuations are allowed in tag names?

I prefix tag names with special characters  (!?#@.) on a Mac and iPad

>the underscore is the only the only thing allowed

This applies to the indexing of note title and contents for text search   

Thank you, this helps. I had tags with *, -, (), & instead of "and". My searches were always missing some notes. And the Evernote "Tips for organizing notes, notebooks, and tags" added to the confusion by recommending:

Examples
For notebooks: All notebook titles begin with a one-word prefix for the department or group that owns it. So, all Sales department notebooks, for example, would begin with “Sales:” as in “Sales:Reports”

For notes: All meeting-related notes all start with the date in the note title as in “2014-09-05 Weekly PM Meeting”

For tags: All tags that refer to a project or release phase begin with an asterisk (*) symbol as in “*alpha”, “*design”, or “*pending”

from: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209006097

• Level 5

The semi-colon would be a bad thing to include in a tag since it is used in search syntax.  So, taking your examples I would anticipate search confusion since Evernote will likely be attempting to parse Sales: as an operator like tag:

So limit your special characters to those that don't have other use or meaning.

Little embarrassed that I've been using EN 10 years and didn't know this.

Could you let me know why & shouldn't be used in tag names? I didn't see it called out as a control function (in the links) and am not sure what EN does with it.

I appreciate the help.

I may have assumed (wrongly) that the "&" in the tag name caused problems when I searched by tag name on Android. Sometimes the search would return no notes (or fewer) than EN on Windows. I now noticed that if I just stay on the search results (on Android) it will eventually show all the notes.

My second assumption was that when I hit the sync button on my phone that it would update the number of notes with a specific tag but it doesn't. So the take away is "&" in a tag name is fine but syncing on Android does not update the number of notes with a specific tag, but by staying on the search page (on Android) all the notes would eventually show up. It would be nice to have a definitive list of symbols to avoid in tag names but your post definitely got me on the right track.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Who told to avoid the "&" symbol ?

I suggested avoiding it in order to take a cautious approach. Because & is often used in searches, even if not in EN, it is something I would as a general principle avoid in names, tags etc. Quite happy to be told I'm being overcautious but for me there are plenty of other characters to use.