Prompted to save instead of open a PDF

Since the latest update, when I click on the Adobe icon in a note that was imported as a PDF, instead of opening the PDF file I am prompted to "Save as." I need Evernote to be able to open the PDF in its original format, as it used to do. This issue occurs in the desktop (Windows) version but not in the mobile (iOS) version.

1 hour ago, DavidAmpleford said:

Since the latest update, when I click on the Adobe icon in a note that was imported as a PDF, instead of opening the PDF file I am prompted to "Save as." I need Evernote to be able to open the PDF in its original format, as it used to do. This issue occurs in the desktop (Windows) version but not in the mobile (iOS) version.

Very strange. I assume you mean double click rather than just click. Mine is still working as expected. Evernote just uses the file association defined in Windows. I assume that if you double click a pdf in windows it opens the pdf in your preferred viewer.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
9 hours ago, DavidAmpleford said:

Right click or double click, the result is the same: "Save as" -- not what I expect.

I wonder if you have something odd inside your Windows preferences. Because I get exactly what I infer you require.  I double click, or choose right-click Open, and Acrobat opens containing the PDF. For me, Save As is a separate menu itme on right-click.

You could do the standard Quit and reboot the PC or, more likely, completely uninstall Evernote 10, ensure that the data and program directories are deleted then reinstall and let Evernote rebuild itself.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, agsteele said:

I wonder if you have something odd inside your Windows preferences. Because I get exactly what I infer you require.  I double click, or choose right-click Open, and Acrobat opens containing the PDF. For me, Save As is a separate menu itme on right-click.

I agree. I wonder whether @DavidAmplefordcould confirm that Windows is working as expected:

On 9/21/2021 at 6:52 AM, Mike P said:

I assume that if you double click a pdf in windows it opens the pdf in your preferred viewer.

• Level 5

To remove EN data without going into the dungeons of EN, you can try this:

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote
If this would not work, using an uninstaller is recommended.