Jump to content

After just over 10 years, I have deleted Legacy ... it's all about Evernote 10 now


Recommended Posts

It took just about a year. I was pretty surprised at how bare-bones the new Evernote was when it premiered around this time in 2020. I barely used it for the first half year or so, but I slowly starting managing and viewing notes on the more attractive platform. I still needed Legacy to print things out as PDFs to share with non-Evernote users, but the recently fixed export-as-PDF functionality has taken care of that. (Although: I wish they would give us the option of not exporting the title and URL of clipped notes to the PDF.)

And so, this morning, after over 10 years as an Evernote user (my account says I have been a member since 5 September 2011 ... but I have some notes from June of that year, so perhaps 5 September 2011 is my first paid membership date), I deleted Evernote Legacy from Windows 10. I tucked the local database and other files into Dropbox, just in case; but I don't expect ever to have to use them.

Not sure why I'm sharing this info. (I can't imagine anyone cares.) But Evernote has been an almost daily part of my life since 2011, and — despite trying several other platforms when Evernote 10 appeared and initially disappointed — I cannot imagine using anything else.

I hope everyone else's experience is as satisfactory as is mine, or that it gets there for you shortly.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
  • Level 5

Thanks for sharing. This corresponds with my experience - my use has shifted a lot to v10 over the last months. Big points were the introduction of the import folders to the Mac and the improved pdf export as well.

Currently I won’t delete legacy - I still use it as a reference to cross check on some issues.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
51 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Thanks for sharing. This corresponds with my experience - my use has shifted a lot to v10 over the last months. Big points were the introduction of the import folders to the Mac and the improved pdf export as well.

Yes, since the pdf export has been improved, I  use now for small documents the elegant agile EN editor which I prefer above the bloated MS Word that always distracts me from my actual writing.

The only pdf export improvement I would really like is inlining of attached pdf files.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

PDF Export still not working for me, at least Exporting a whole notebook as a PDF. Exports part and then says it's complete. Haven't heard anything from the ticket I opened two months ago. 

Also need to keep Legacy for doing something with more than a handful of notes. Legacy will move 30 notes in less time than v10 moves 3. 

 

Link to comment
  • Level 5

We are talking to use the „Export as pdf“ on a single note, to get around the still very basic printing options of v10.

An export option „as pdf“ for a complete notebook is available for Professional and Teams subscriptions. Since pdf export for a notebook did not exist in legacy, this is one of these new features used to upsell the new plans.

Link to comment
9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

We are talking to use the „Export as pdf“ on a single note, to get around the still very basic printing options of v10.

An export option „as pdf“ for a complete notebook is available for Professional and Teams subscriptions. Since pdf export for a notebook did not exist in legacy, this is one of these new features used to upsell the new plans.

Hopefully, pdf "export" for a notebook is a full export,  attachments included. Any experience with that already?

Link to comment
16 hours ago, dbvirago said:

PDF Export still not working for me, at least Exporting a whole notebook as a PDF. Exports part and then says it's complete. Haven't heard anything from the ticket I opened two months ago. 

Also need to keep Legacy for doing something with more than a handful of notes. Legacy will move 30 notes in less time than v10 moves 3. 

 

I had never attempted to export a notebook, so I just gave it a try ... and I hit the same bug. I tried first to export the notebook after right-clicking on the name of the notebook and choosing "Export notebook etc.", and then also by selecting all the notes in the notebook and right-clicking the selection to export. In both cases, all I got was the first note, and that is what the progress bar had shown. One and done.

I do hope they fix that glitch soon. The more I think about it, the more useful it would be to have a few of my notebooks backed up to Dropbox as PDFs, or even printed out and tucked in the safe ... just in case. In the meantime, I've exported the most critical ones one-by-one and loaded them to Dropbox.

Thank you for prompting me to experiment.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
38 minutes ago, donquotee said:

exporting to PDF truncates the right margin so the entire documents cant be seen unless there is another setting.

May I ask: on what platform are you attempting the export? I still mostly work with Evernote on Windows 10 (because I like a big screen, and Evernote looks great on a 32" monitor), and I haven't come across that problem. I did see some truncation when clipping notes from my phone and then trying to export them from Windows and then exporting as a PDF, but that may have been fixed in the meantime, as I just tried it and the export looked great. I use narrow margins, by the way.

I even just tried it by exporting one of my very largest notes, created a while ago within Evernote (not clipped from the web, that is), and it printed out all 44 pages with images (it's an art history note with in-line examples) ... nearly 57 MB of PDF (because of the images) ... and there weren't any problems with margins nor with the images being broken across pages (that was fixed two releases ago, I think). Monster PDF, but it looks great.

If you can describe how you create the note and then print it, and from what platforms, I could give it a try and see if I have the same problem that you do.

Link to comment
24 minutes ago, Horace_NYC said:

I had never attempted to export a notebook, so I just gave it a try ... and I hit the same bug. I tried first to export the notebook after right-clicking on the name of the notebook and choosing "Export notebook etc.", and then also by selecting all the notes in the notebook and right-clicking the selection to export. In both cases, all I got was the first note, and that is what the progress bar had shown. One and done.

Tested an export of a whole notebook, works as expected for me (Windows 10, latest Evernote 10 Version).

What do you see in this "Note order" list, only one or all notes?

2021-09-18_18-41-50_Window.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, ChristianJB said:

Tested an export of a whole notebook, works as expected for me (Windows 10, latest Evernote 10 Version).

What do you see in this "Note order" list, only one or all notes?

I see all six notes in that notebook, but only one prints. I had been trying to separate the notes on new pages, so I tried to let them start one after the other. In that case, the progress bar showed that it was processing six notes (not stopped after the first), but the output was still the same ... only the first note printed.

By the way: I have a professional subscription, but I don't have the badge showing next to "Note order" that you have. I wonder why not. Perhaps I should try logging out, or even logging out, uninstalling, and reinstalling Evernote 10?

<update 5 minutes later> okay: this is weird. I realized you can move notes around, so I moved a different note to the top, and it and the next note printed. Just those two. And then I moved that second note all the way to the bottom, and it seems as if everything has printed as expected. Why would that one note cause the export to stall on it? Very strange.

I will experiment a little more tomorrow evening (I have to get back to work on some higher priority items). Perhaps, with enough fiddling, I can get what I need out of export now. But it would be great if some of these little glitches would be fixed.

And I want my "Professional" badge!  🙂

Edited by Horace_NYC
  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, eric99 said:

Are attachments exported as well (pdf, word ...) ?

I just tried to export a couple of notes with embedded content ... both PDFs and audio and video files. They don't export, but show that something was embedded in the original note.

image.thumb.png.9fab1d5d8931b5f9d5d749eeb626ba04.png

That's simple example. It's a note of a recording, in which I've stored the booklet that you can download from the streaming service. You can't see the embedded PDF; it just shows you that there was a PDF as part of the note.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
38 minutes ago, Horace_NYC said:

By the way: I have a professional subscription, but I don't have the badge showing next to "Note order" that you have. I wonder why not. Perhaps I should try logging out, or even logging out, uninstalling, and reinstalling Evernote 10?

FYI, I don't have this badge either, just used a screenshot of the help page, as I use a German version.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/4403616330387-Export-notes-as-a-PDF

 

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Horace_NYC said:

You can't see the embedded PDF; it just shows you that there was a PDF as part of the note.

Isn't that a problem if you would like to use it as a backup, as you suggested  before?

Link to comment
Just now, eric99 said:

Isn't that a problem if you would like to use it as a backup, as you suggested  before?

That's a fair point, but for the kind of notes that I want to back up (which deal with identity and security and ownership and so on), the embedded documents are already in Dropbox; I use the note to document additional information. I agree with you that expanding the internal content, where possible, would be a great help, such as with that recording booklet.

Link to comment
22 minutes ago, donquotee said:

Using web 10V export of note to PDF truncates right margin.  Simple task.

That's strange. I don't really use the web (online) version, but I just went into it, and there's no option for exporting to PDF from there. The help screens only mention exporting to PDF from Windows or Mac. I've tried a few more notes, but so far everything is okay. If I do come across it, I'll be sure to raise a ticket as well, so they have it from more than one person. (Might get it moved up the backlog faster that way.)

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...