ctrl-a shortcut is wrong, it should not select all, it should move to beginning of line

I can confirm this issue using the following version of Evernote on Mac:

• 10.21.5-mac-mas-public (458776)
  • Editor: v131.1.16771
  • Service: v1.39.1

Described in my tweet thread here: https://twitter.com/trutane/status/1438939306639327232

This issue occurs in the main body of a text note, but interestingly, it does not happen in the note's title where ctrl-A works as expected.

I've submitted a support ticket for this (#3384041). Hope it is resolved soon!

• Like 4

+1

I'm also experiencing this issue, which has caused me to inadvertently overwrite the entire contents of a note multiple times. I've cmd-Z'd my way out of this pickle every time, but it's definitely a bug that is messing up my flow while writing notes. Hope the Evernote team can fix this soon!

On my support ticket (#3384041), Evernote Customer Support has notified me today that: 

our team is already working on a fix with regards to the CtrlA shortcut issue. Although I cannot provide a time frame for when this will be fixed, but rest assured that we are now working on solving this case.

🤞🏼

Btw, I noticed that Ctrl-A works as expected in the text search bar. This bug is very specific to the note body.

• Like 4

I discovered how to temporarily fix the broken Ctrl-A behavior, by doing either one of the following:

• Drag and drop an image (png, jpg, gif, etc.) from the Finder into the main text area of a note
  • OR:
  • Cut-n-paste in an image from system clipboard via Cmd-Ctrl-Shift-4 (⌘+^+Shift+4).

After the image is inserted into the note, Ctrl-A now works properly within that note only. The inserted image can be deleted immediately after pasting -- recommended unless you want that image to be forever associated with your note in the Snippets & Cards views (this gets to another one of my Evernote gripes).

The image insertion fix does not work with images you copy or cut from another note in Evernote using Ctrl-C or Ctrl-V. The image must be inserted from a screen grab or from a drag-n-drop from the Finder.

This fix is temporary because if you switch to a different note, Ctrl-A reverts to selecting all text, even when you return to the original note where you added the image. So keep a tiny image in your clipboard using ⌘+^+Shift+4 so you can paste & delete it into any given note that you need to edit and want to use Ctrl-A normally.

Control-key workarounds for broken Ctrl-A:

1. Shift-Ctrl-A, Ctrl-B
  2. Ctrl-P, Ctrl-E, Ctrl-F

If you don't want to spend all day cut/paste/deleting images into all your notes, the above control key combos can be used to move the cursor to the start of the current line you are editing. When the cursor is inside a long paragraph, you'll need to tack on extra Ctrl-N's or Ctrl-P's to navigate to the line of interest.

And yes, the Ctrl-A bug is still present in Evernote version 10.22.3-mac.

I noted this image insertion fix on my support ticket. Perhaps will provide clues as to how to fix the app.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/29/2021 at 10:52 AM, kurikintoki said:

The latest version still has the same problem.

10.22.3-mac-ddl-public (2958)
Editor: v132.1.16932
Service: v1.40.3

The latest version has resolved the issue.

10.24.3-mac-ddl-public (3041)
Editor: v134.0.17043
Service: v1.41.4

• Like 3