Deleted Evernote - Forever

I've been a Premium Plan user for years.  I used to be very pleased with the product.

I've never witnessed a product go from good to garbage as quickly as Evernote.

All my stuff is now in Nimbus Note.

Didn't realize how great it would feel to delete Evernote from all my devices.

Just wanted to say "Bye" and "Shame on you" before I deactivate my account. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I hope you gave Nimbus Note a good test.... there are a lot of things I LOVE about Nimbus compared to Evernote but Nimbus Notes has bigger performance issues than Evernote (Nimbus is supposed to be addressing this month though) and Evernote's search is A LOT better than Nimbus Notes.

What is your reason for switching?  I switched for a while in early V10 days but V10 has really came along since then and I'm using Evernote again but keeping Nimbus Note up to date in case they resolve performance issues and improve their search.

• Like 1

I began a test transition to Nimbus Note last year during the darker early days of v10, and loved the elegant note formatting capabilities and partitioned spaces for work, personal, etc.  I found the search inadequate and the Android app not so good, however.  I ended up returning to Evernote – mostly due to Nimbus' deficient search capabilities, but primarily due to the concerns raised by other posters about the location of the data potentially being in Russia.  Their team seemed just a little too insistent that they were ‘proudly based in the US’.  Without being able to confirm either way, I elected to stick with EN despite its ongoing teething problems.

I am leaving also, after 11 years as a premium user.

I used to love Evernote, but I simply jsut can't stand it now - everything is so complicated, unstable, difficult and frustrating.

Really sad, and like the OP, I have never witnessed a product go from being so awesome to so hopeless. How did this happen?

• Level 5

By scrapping an old, overly complex and not maintainable software and start with an empty sheet. This is how the new clients were born.

My personal use is shifting more and more over to v10, as with new releases new and old features are rolled out, adding to the toolbox. In some aspects v10 is already the better product, in many it may be different, but on par, and some are still not working as I would expect them to do.

Your experience may be different, as we are  2 different users.

If what you get does not spark joy for you when using it, make a cut and move on. Looking back in a nostalgic mood does not do any good for you.

• Like 3

Yes, I am jumping ship as well after more than 10 years with Evernote. The software just became too complicated and lost its appeal for simple note taking.

The main reason that I'm leaving and switching to Nimbus is because of "Offline Notebooks". Whenever I need something and launch the mobile app, the note that I'm looking for has never been downloaded for offline access. After I enter info on the desktop version I have to go and manually download the notebooks on my mobile devices. And that process alone takes ages to complete. 

So offline sync is terrible, and very frustrating. Hope it will be improved in the future.

3 hours ago, grumpyg4 said:

Yes, I am jumping ship as well after more than 10 years with Evernote. The software just became too complicated and lost its appeal for simple note taking.

The main reason that I'm leaving and switching to Nimbus is because of "Offline Notebooks". Whenever I need something and launch the mobile app, the note that I'm looking for has never been downloaded for offline access. After I enter info on the desktop version I have to go and manually download the notebooks on my mobile devices. And that process alone takes ages to complete. 

So offline sync is terrible, and very frustrating. Hope it will be improved in the future.

I would do more research before jumping to Nimbus, shady privacy polices, shady company conduct, questions over where data goes….run a search here. 

• Like 4
  • Level 5

On iOS (which is a virtual twin of the Android app) offline download works, sort of.

The initial download is slow, best run during the night. I have described several times in detail how to set it up.

Keeping the downloaded content current then works while using the app, pretty seamless.

Same here, paid user since 2011 relied a lot in this software, for me it was improving for a couple of years then started downhill, endured last of years with the hope of it would return to be usefull and clean, but it got worse… losing colors in the palette destoyed my workflow and home screen was just enough for me. 

I highly encourage others to go out and try alternatives. There's no point in being too entrenched in a single software, and it's also a good opportunity to do some housecleaning of your notes moving it to a more permanent store.

Personally I was subscribed to Evernote for more than 5 years before I left in 2019 to try Microsoft 365, OneNote, Google Docs, Google Keep, Notion, SimpleNote.

This is what I've settled on:

• Google Keep - short-form; instantaneous sync
  • Google Drive - medium-form; collaboration; fast sync
  • Evernote - medium-form; sketching and annotation; unreliable sync
  • MS Word - long-form; reports/charts/tables; slow sync
  • MS OneDrive - archival; cheap 1TB + Office suite (as compared to all other cloud platforms like DropBox, Google Drive); slow sync

Google Keep became my main workhorse as I really just needed short-form, todo list functionality.

However recently I moved from Google Keep back to Evernote Personal as I realised I may work better with journaling capabilities in my todo lists (workweek planning). Plus, I've been taking several online professional courses that needed digital notetaking and annotations.

TLDR; go out and try alternatives. You may be surprised at what you will find, and hopefully your workflow and productivity will be all the better for it. :)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Cardin said:

There's no point in being too entrenched in a single software

I prefer to keep my notes in a single digital filing cabinet    
however I am not "entrenched in" the Evernote editor

The editor works well for basic notes   
but for word processing I use Apple Pages, and for spreadsheets I use Apple Numbers   
The documents are stored in Evernote as note file attachments