Anyone using 10.17 yet?

Is it any better? I'm still on 10.16 and for whatever reason, check for updates isn't an option. I don't want to go through the whole uninstall/reinstall dance again.

It seems like every other time I try to use the app, it doesn't work. One day it's fine, next day it's  broken. Today, I wanted to record an audio note, but again, it wouldn't work. The last time, I finally figured out this was because the app no longer knew what my default notebook was. I just fixed that a week ago and now, with no update I'm aware of, it's gone again. Also, the issue I had last week of some notebooks not showing, but a gap where they should be. I fixed this before by switching in and out of dark mode. Today, that doesn't work.

IN short, today, the Android app is useless to me. Tomorrow, it will probably work. 

Maybe I should just work every other day.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

I'm not a good test in that the v10 apps always seem to work just fine. The Play Store updates are variable in how quickly they arrive.  10.17 came within the hour of the announcement.  10.16, by contrast, took nearly two weeks to become available.

I understand the desire not to uninstall and reinstall but that MIGHT just be the fix you need for the default notebook issue.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, agsteele said:

I'm not a good test in that the v10 apps always seem to work just fine. The Play Store updates are variable in how quickly they arrive.  10.17 came within the hour of the announcement.  10.16, by contrast, took nearly two weeks to become available.

I understand the desire not to uninstall and reinstall but that MIGHT just be the fix you need for the default notebook issue.

I'll wait until 17 drops. If that doesn't fix it, I'll go back to Nimbus until they get this sorted out. On my laptop I have options for getting data, but out in the field, I need something reliable. Right now EN isn't that.

• Sad 1

I agree.  I'm just not tethered to a desktop all the time, and a functioning mobile Android app is crucial for me.

I'll see if 10.17 improves things.  Nothing was explicitly stated in the update about any of the bugs I've been experiencing.

• Like 1

I'm curious whether the "fixed the back button" bug is related to the "swipe to go back" bug. I'd be happy if the swipe to go back bug were fixed, but I'm not holding my breath until I have 10.17 installed and can test it myself.

Also, no mention of the most annoying bug (for me) that has been present for over a year (link below to a description of this bug). I'm looking forward to testing 10.17 once the staged rollout reaches me, but not feeling very optimistic...

8 hours ago, agsteele said:

I admire your efforts to keep promoting the use of the Shift key to change capitalisation @Paul A.. I hope you're not holding your breath. There's nothing in 10.17 for you :(

Sad news, but thanks for confirming. In the meantime, I'm going to keep evangelizing this feature, as I think it's amazing and probably not as widely known as it could be. :) 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Sounds to me you will have to do a lot of evangelization: EN keeps the mobile clients close to each other. On iOS such a feature does not exist, at least not when using the standard keyboard.

Hope you get it done - sounds like a cool trick to solve a small but repetitive problem.

• Thanks 1

Android still on .16, but I remembered how I fixed this a few weeks ago. I go to the Windows app, choose another notebook and set it as default. Then go back to my preferred default and redo the process. As soon as I do that, the missing notebooks reappeared. 

One thing that would be nice if a right-click on the default notebook showed that was the case. The only way you know is if the option to Set it as Default isn't there. 

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Sounds to me you will have to do a lot of evangelization: EN keeps the mobile clients close to each other. On iOS such a feature does not exist, at least not when using the standard keyboard.

Hope you get it done - sounds like a cool trick to solve a small but repetitive problem.

Thanks. Do you use the Google keyboard, Gboard on iOS? It's a feature that's native to the keyboard (at least on Android, I'm not sure whether the iOS version of Gboard has the same feature). If you have the time and inclination, feel free to install and give it a test. I'd be very curious whether the capitalization feature works in other apps (mail, notes, etc.) and whether the same bug occurs on Evernote for iOS:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/gboard-the-google-keyboard/id1091700242

• Level 5

Hi Paul, now it gets sort of fundamental:

No, I don’t use GBoard on any device. And I won’t.

In fact, I don’t use Google Services wherever I can avoid them. My search engine is DuckDuckGo, maps from Apple, OpenStreetMap or Here, no Android devices (that are impossible to un-google), browsers are Firefox or Safari (both not using the Chrome engine). What is left like Google fonts or Google webstats dies a digital death in my PiHole.

I am really grateful that EN included this YT player into v10, because it does a great job to avoid a YT account while still being able to grab and save some YT content. There is no way around YT, contentwise.

Just looked up the GBoard description in the AppStore: Last updated 9 month ago, no privacy statement, a list of things I inevitably share with Google when I use the keyboard. No thanks ! About the privacy statement: They MUST update it when they would release a new version, because Apple does not let a new version pass without a privacy declaration. So they simply don’t update any more … tells everything I need to know about it.

So sorry, I am the wrong person to ask to test stuff like that. No harm done, you couldn’t know I sort of a fundamentalist about this Privacy issue. Every action Google takes is to violate my decision about what to share, and what I want to keep to myself. Collateral damage, they don’t follow me intentionally, they just want to make the next truckload of money selling my data. You don’t need to do evil if you are.

Let‘s talk another day about Facebook and Amazon.

So, I check several times a day to see if I get the update. Nothing.

Until today, when I'm out and need a note. Guess what. We are updating  - this may take several minutes. Several. Another word they don't understand.

But now I have my default notebook. In fact, it's so special, I have two of them. Identical. 

Yeah, I know. Uninstall and reinstall. I think I'll go with  Uninstall and reinstall. 

7 hours ago, dbvirago said:

So, I check several times a day to see if I get the update. Nothing.

Until today, when I'm out and need a note. Guess what. We are updating  - this may take several minutes. Several. Another word they don't understand.

But now I have my default notebook. In fact, it's so special, I have two of them. Identical. 

Yeah, I know. Uninstall and reinstall. I think I'll go with  Uninstall and reinstall. 

They still don't dare to give the Android update to all users at once on Android....they always release in staged modus (which is a decision by Evernote not Android play store).

You could force the update via sideloading e.g. from https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/evernote-corporation/ There a very friendly users who are in the early roll out stages who upload every fresh release within 24-48 hours after update is announced by Evernote. You can update it over your current version. EN 10.17 did address some bugs they do not tell in the release note on my side while being still a sluggish piece of software. Maybe your experience is better with 10.17.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Alxa said:

They still don't dare to give the Android update to all users at once on Android....they always release in staged modus (which is a decision by Evernote not Android play store).

Although this is all true, it's good software development practice to do staged rollouts. These are supported on the iOS app store as well (I believe they call them phased rollouts), although I don't currently use Evernote on iOS so I don't know whether Evernote are utilizing them.

What IS different on the Google Play store (and something that I wish they would copy from the iOS App store) is that users who have not been selected to be in the current stage can not force an update to the latest version without resorting to side loading. In contrast, my understanding is that if someone hears about an app update on iOS, even if the staged rollout has not reached them yet, they can launch the app store and choose to manually update the app right away.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

The EN iOS releases are available early, sometimes even before they are announced in the forum by EN staff. To me it does not look like they roll it out staged.

Maybe the reason is that the iOS app is not creating a lot of trouble. It is stable, few bugs, so no big deal for support.

By staging the Android releases EN might try to balance the support workload, and be able to detect issues early and prepare a standard reaction for support.

Just my 5 ct …

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Paul A. said:

Although this is all true, it's good software development practice to do staged rollouts. These are supported on the iOS app store as well (I believe they call them phased rollouts), although I don't currently use Evernote on iOS so I don't know whether Evernote are utilizing them.

What IS different on the Google Play store (and something that I wish they would copy from the iOS App store) is that users who have not been selected to be in the current stage can not force an update to the latest version without resorting to side loading. In contrast, my understanding is that if someone hears about an app update on iOS, even if the staged rollout has not reached them yet, they can launch the app store and choose to manually update the app right away.

The converse of that is, the update shouldn't be forced on the user at random times. Within a certain time period, the user should get to choose when the update happens, especially if the update will cripple the product for the first half hour of use following the update.

• Level 5

Whatever the strategy behind it may be - the app should download, open, maybe a few seconds of "updating the database", and -zap- start to work, and  stay like that. This is no vision, it is how it works on iOS since EN 10.4 (some will say since 10.6).

Maybe this explains some of the discussions we have her in the forum, among users with very far diverging user experience, as it seems.

Unfortunately, 10.17 off the APK didn't help bugs with Tasks, opening notes from Tasks, opening time, search time.

This is such a shame.  Yes, with ~30,000 notes in the system, I'm about to view this as a dead library.  I'm spending an inordinate amount of time dealing with this issue.  After a certain point, it seems no longer worth it.