Merge button right click

boechat

Idea

4 replies to this idea

17 minutes ago, boechat said:

right click in a note and show merge option, and then we can select the other note or type in a search pop up.

the notes are not always in the same notebook to click on them and select merge.

I agree that merging notes that don't naturally fall in to one search is not straightforward. My approach is to tag the notes as I select them with a tag called "to_merge". Once I've got all the notes I want I can then filter/search for that tag and merge the notes.

The problem with this appraoch in V10 has been the time lag for changes in notes to become searchable. However I'm now finding that changing tags and then filtering by those tags is working pretty much instantaneously.

• Like 1
10 minutos atrás, Mike P disse:

My approach is to tag the notes as I select them with a tag called "to_merge". Once I've got all the notes I want I can then filter/search for that tag and merge the notes.

This might work, but imagine the time spent to:

1. Search notes (One search for each note)
  2. Tag two or more notes with "to_merge"
  3. Search again to show only "to_merge" notes
  4. Finally merge them

It is more practical to have a merge button, where you can select merge to one or multiple notes.

14 minutes ago, boechat said:

It is more practical to have a merge button, where you can select merge to one or multiple notes.

I don't really see there is much difference. All I'm doing is adding a tag while you are hitting a merge button - in effect adding a virtual tag saying to merge.

Your method would also need step one. As you are aware if they are allready in the same notebook or search view you can simply scroll through and select them.

You still need a way of bringing up the merge dialogue in order to reorder notes etc. 

Anyway, it is a workable method until EN implement anything better. To my mind there are much bigger merge problems to address, like the discarding of note urls for all but the first note.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

My merging is done by selecting several notes from the list (Shift for a range, cmd on a Mac to select individual notes) and merge them.

Can be done from any list view, a search result as well as a notebook, a selected tag or else.

Right clicking the first and then selecting others is against standard GUI rules. You select first and then decide about the action to be executed on the selection.

• Like 2