Performance Issues!

The evernote on iPadOS and iOS is so terrible.

The animations are rough and ugly. The transition from Notebooks page to Notes page, Home page to Notebooks page, Notes page to the note itself page is badly designed. The bar on the upper screen disappears then appears again. Especially the transition from Home page to other pages, the background image on top are changed in an unpleasant way that cuts the upper half of it. The three icons on the right corner of the Notes page are doing the same thing!.Notes take like a second to load and display but they just pop out within one frame, making the whole experience a lot worse. And these are just some of the examples.

And then the iPad. Despite all the problems i mentioned on iOS version. The iPad version is even worse. There is no support for trackpad, the edit bar on the bottom of the screen blinks whenever i change my keyboard language on Magic Keyboard. And the edit bar itself has a different color than its back ground, making the space between the edit bar and the edge of the screen eye catching in a bad way.  

The whole user experience is like a joke!!!

• Thanks 1

Hrm... not my experience at all. The only real issue I've got on iOS is the one talked about here: 

Except for that, I find the experience on iOS to be pretty great and smooth.

I wonder if maybe there are some iOS differences in our settings that would be at play here or perhaps it's the phone type. (I have an iPhone 11 for reference.)

Point by point for comparison:

• The animations are rough and ugly.
    • Not on my phone they aren't. It's super smooth.
  • The transition from Notebooks page to Notes page, Home page to Notebooks page, Notes page to the note itself page is badly designed.
    • Seems fluid and smooth and nice to me.
  • The bar on the upper screen disappears then appears again.
    • Maybe I'm not sure what bar you are talking about, but if it's the one with the green back arrow, share, add tags, and the three dots -- that stays fixed for me.
  • Especially the transition from Home page to other pages, the background image on top are changed in an unpleasant way that cuts the upper half of it.
    • Doesn't seem particularly bad to me. The top bar suddenly appears covering the background image and then the note slides in from the right.
  • The three icons on the right corner of the Notes page are doing the same thing!.
    • Not seeing that or I'm not understanding.
  • Notes take like a second to load and display but they just pop out within one frame, making the whole experience a lot worse.
    • Notes load for me in less than half a second.

(No comments on iPad experience -- just iOS)

I know it would be a lot of work to post a video or gif of what you are seeing, but I'm not seeing on my phone what you are describing.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@Kearsu No comment on the details of this post - IMHO the current iOS client is the best we ever had. One should remember that EN is a productivity tool, not a computer game where you want to be immersed into the story. I can do without a lot of optical gimmicks, that only cost performance and focus while playing their visual diddelydoo.

Especially on the iPad I would like go get some additional features to use the platforms features better - but this short list starts from on an already high level of usability. 

• Confused 1
  • 3 months later...
On 9/11/2021 at 7:21 PM, Boot17 said:

Hrm... not my experience at all. The only real issue I've got on iOS is the one talked about here: 

Except for that, I find the experience on iOS to be pretty great and smooth.

I wonder if maybe there are some iOS differences in our settings that would be at play here or perhaps it's the phone type. (I have an iPhone 11 for reference.)

Point by point for comparison:

• The animations are rough and ugly.
    • Not on my phone they aren't. It's super smooth.
  • The transition from Notebooks page to Notes page, Home page to Notebooks page, Notes page to the note itself page is badly designed.
    • Seems fluid and smooth and nice to me.
  • The bar on the upper screen disappears then appears again.
    • Maybe I'm not sure what bar you are talking about, but if it's the one with the green back arrow, share, add tags, and the three dots -- that stays fixed for me.
  • Especially the transition from Home page to other pages, the background image on top are changed in an unpleasant way that cuts the upper half of it.
    • Doesn't seem particularly bad to me. The top bar suddenly appears covering the background image and then the note slides in from the right.
  • The three icons on the right corner of the Notes page are doing the same thing!.
    • Not seeing that or I'm not understanding.
  • Notes take like a second to load and display but they just pop out within one frame, making the whole experience a lot worse.
    • Notes load for me in less than half a second.

(No comments on iPad experience -- just iOS)

I know it would be a lot of work to post a video or gif of what you are seeing, but I'm not seeing on my phone what you are describing.

Having a top tier iPhone definitely makes bad programming go away. Its no escuse for a notes app to have the performance and layout transition issues I and the OP is experiencing. I have an iPhone 8 and regret so much the upgrade to v10. I’m into evernote for 12 years! I am here to express my shock as to why a simple notes editor from a simple list fails performance review. The older version was way more responsive, performant and intuitive! How about dusting off that code and double down on these issues that are so fundamental its truly a joke. Have beta testers been given low end iPhone or what? Does Evernote Management cater to low end iPhones or not? iPhone SE for instance is the ideal one to give all programmers and designers of ios evernote to see if they are strill proud of their work… 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

We run EN iOS on several devices. None is younger than 2 years, the oldest are an iPad Air 2 (2014) and an iPhone 6S+ (2015). On the older ones it is not as snappy as on the younger ones - but it is usable on all iOS clients. All devices are fully updated to iOS 15.2 and the latest EN client 10.23.

You may have a different user experience - this is what we can discuss in the forum.

Since you spend a lot of words to tell what others should do (in your opinion …), and very little on your use cases, it is sort of hard to tell where the difference may be rooted.