I can’t believe that after many years this is still the same

I just got an offer, 40% off premium membership, I guess because I had it before. So I said great let’s try it, certainly the problem with Fonts is already taken care of. Since years ago was a really ridiculous issue for a Notes app. 

But to my surprise, it is still not fixed! Amazing! 

I see all the new fancy whistles, Tasks and all that. But man, you still can not make Font sizes consistent?? This is a joke by now.

First Theres no way of setting a default font size in new notes. Well, ok. 

Second, I try with a template, not ideal but ok let’s see, wow, not even in a template!! 

if you use a template with a previously applied font size, and you add new line of text or paragraph to the note they DO NOT keep the size!!! even when it is in the preset parameters.

God, after all these years they can’t fix something so basic. It doesn’t work for me, not even with a 40% discount. 

46 minutes ago, Josue Alexander said:

if you use a template with a previously applied font size, and you add new line of text or paragraph to the note they DO NOT keep the size!!! even when it is in the preset parameters.

This is not my experience. If you define the four font styles as you want them they stay for that note whether you define them for that note oruse a template. The three heading styles are intended for use in headings, so pressing enter resets the style back to "Normal Text". This does not happen with normal text. If you want more than one type of paragraph text you can use the heading styles but will need to set them at the beginning of each paragraph. Fortunately this is very easily done using the shortuts (# followed by space for large heading, ## follwed by space for medium heading etc)

EN is not a word processor and if you need more formatting options then EN is probably not the right tool. You can of course attach word procerssor documents to a note.

10 minutes ago, Mike P said:

This is not my experience. If you define the four font styles as you want them they stay for that note whether you define them for that note oruse a template. The three heading styles are intended for use in headings, so pressing enter resets the style back to "Normal Text". This does not happen with normal text. If you want more than one type of paragraph text you can use the heading styles but will need to set them at the beginning of each paragraph. Fortunately this is very easily done using the shortuts (# followed by space for large heading, ## follwed by space for medium heading etc)

EN is not a word processor and if you need more formatting options then EN is probably not the right tool. You can of course attach word procerssor documents to a note.

Why is it that people make excuses for Evernote all the time, they always say the same: “EN is not a word processor”  Well we know that, but that is no excuse for simple basic formatting, IT IS still a notes app, so it is expected.

“if you need more formatting options”  No, you missed the point. On the contrary,  I just want a simple note to stick to a simple font size no matter where on the note you type. I’m not talking about headers, subheaders and all that. The body of the note should stick to a font size unless you change it. That is simple enough.

“pressing enter resets the style back to "Normal Text"”  I understand where you are going, but this is not my case, I never use anything other than “normal text” and even on templates the first thing you type is the font you set up, but when you try to add text above that, it changes the font size!! It is absolutely ridiculous!

Try it if you must, add the first line to a note with a specific size, then press enter to move it down and type above it, it will change your font. 

Thanks for the tips anyway but I don’t use head lines or headers. 

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, Josue Alexander said:

I just want a simple note to stick to a simple font size no matter where on the note you type. ... I never use anything other than “normal text”

This also my use; I rarely adjust font or size in a note - and rarely experience font/size issues

• Level 5

Quite amazing to which extend some people go here to convince other users things must be bad.

If I go to the core of things as I see them, they just want to say „Hey, I spend money on a subscription, and I regret I did it“. Fine, that may be the case, and if fonts up and down are a main issue for you, there may be some bad news, and feelings.

Others (like myself) enjoy the lean editor interface that helps focus on content instead of looks.

1 hour ago, Josue Alexander said:

Try it if you must, add the first line to a note with a specific size, then press enter to move it down and type above it, it will change your font. 

Yes you are right - that is how, rightly or wrongly, EN behaves. Going forward  rather than backwards the style is retained. In your original post you say:

3 hours ago, Josue Alexander said:

The only way of setting parameters is to define a style. If you don't want to do that then you are stuck - EN does not work in the way you expect it to.

If you define the normal text style in the way you want it and save it as a template then all notes created with that template will have your saved style. Currently that is the way the program works.

image.png.529be45a38995f4ab0422d439a1e2c35.png

26 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Yes you are right - that is how, rightly or wrongly, EN behaves. Going forward  rather than backwards the style is retained. In your original post you say:

The only way of setting parameters is to define a style. If you don't want to do that then you are stuck - EN does not work in the way you expect it to.

If you define the normal text style in the way you want it and save it as a template then all notes created with that template will have your saved style. Currently that is the way the program works.

image.png.529be45a38995f4ab0422d439a1e2c35.png

Thank you for your response. It was helpful. 

• Like 1

There are also a couple of tricks about the styles options which I find useful which might help somebody.

1. I guess this one is pretty standard in word processors but is certainly new to EN. If you want to change the style you can update it half way through and everything gets updated to the new style. This is particularly useful for headings where you can update the first one and all the others, which are scattered through the note, also get updated.
  2. The #, ## and ### shortcuts for headings are really useful. They can also be used to change the level of an existing style. Simply type the correct number of #'s and a space before the existing text. Here I convert a large header to a small header:

headings.gif.64c6bab6fdccb88086a9fdd6d99f3a2f.gif

I'm finding that the use of styles is giving my notes a much more consistent, professional look.

• Like 2
On 9/11/2021 at 1:52 PM, DTLow said:

This also my use; I rarely adjust font or size in a note - and rarely experience font/size issues

This is probably because the default font size is good enough for you. But it’s too small for many of us. All we ask is to simply be able to adjust the font size and that the note RESPECTS that choice in the whole note! Us having to adjust size if we go to a different line or a table is ridiculous.  Evernote diehard fans seem so offended by this. But I don’t think it’s  too much to ask, it’s rather basic. We should be offended that Evernote can not handle this.